Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 03:21 PM

49 posts, read 121,292 times

Advertisements

Hello I posted awhile back about moving to NOVA sometime this year. Well next week my wife and twin daughters (two years old) will be going out to NOVA (Reston area, from Sunday 4/11 - Sunday 4/18) and I'll be working out of my companies office and exploring the area for about a week.

This trip is likely a last peek into the area before decisions will be made, and there wont be much turning back after that. So I implore you all to make some *must see/experience* suggestions to see/do while we are there. Being there with our kids means we'll be very interested in finding age appropriate activities.

As always thanks for the wealth of information and original thought you all contribute, its most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 03:51 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
I'll let other people handle the standard sightseeing recs. Here are some Reston-specific things to do with your kids:
- At Play Cafe
- Reston Zoo (expensive, unlike the National Zoo, but has nice petting barn and the geographic factor)

There's also a great, unusual park in McLean that you may want to check out - Clemyjontri Park (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/clemyjontri/playground.htm - broken link).

Also, April 11 is the last day of the Cherry Blossom Festival. You'll just miss the parade, which is on the 10th; the 11th has the 10-mile run and some onstage performances at the Sylvan Theatre (on the grounds of the Washington Monument).

I have 20-month-old b/g twins, so I know it can be challenging to get around and do things. Hopefully you will get to experience a good spring week and that you'll like what you see!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:11 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Reston Zoo is cute...I have 3 1/2 year old twins and they love going there.

The Air and Space Museum may be good for you and your wife.

We enjoy Tyson's Mall

The library (most all do) have story times for different ages so that may be good for your daughters

The Ringling Bros circus may still be going on in Fairfax (not far from Reston)

Leesburg Zoo is cute too...

Many of the parks are great for the little ones...I live in Ashburn and we often do to Trailside and our favorite is Dinosaur park

We also enjoy being downtown and walking around the monuments and such. We first took our kids when they were 2 and they did well. (but each kid is different!)

I don't know that these are MUST HAVE's but it does give you an idea about the area.

OH...and this upcoming weekend (April 11) is National Open House weekend so if you want to see what your money can get you in different areas, this would be a good time to look since a lot of agents will be holding opens just for the event.

Have fun!

Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
If you want to go into DC, be sure to go early. The parking lots fill up early on weekdays. Better idea: go into DC on a weekend.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:11 PM

247 posts, read 687,793 times
Frying Pan Park is fun too, they can go see the animals there

Old 04-06-2010, 05:53 AM

577 posts, read 2,059,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpascal View Post
Frying Pan Park is fun too, they can go see the animals there
Bonus: It's free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia