Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 PM

271 posts, read 446,405 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I am looking for a good place to purchase sprinkler system parts. My brother in law is a contractor in NY and is planning on helping me with this project.

Here is the catch, he told me exclusively not to buy any sprinkler stuff from Home depot or Lowes, as the quality and price is lacking and to find a local landscape supplier.

So with that, there in lies my question.

Where can I find a company that sells sprinkler system parts.

Thanks in advance!
JT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:58 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,191 times
I don't know if it helps but the both contractors who bid on installing our system used Rain Bird, at least for the control unit. You can find them on the web.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:16 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,193,979 times
Ignore your brother in law and buy from Home Depot or Lowes.

Convenient and fine inexpensive quality.

I've replaced damaged heads, added new ones, etc. All from Home Depot/Lowes.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 AM

I would at least like to check out some smaller local businesses first, before feeding the beast.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
I would at least like to check out some smaller local businesses first, before feeding the beast.
Ah, okay, you have an agenda different from merely fixing or extending a sprinkler system. That does change the reason for store selection other than the bogus "bro-in-law says Home Depot/Lowes sell cheap junk" and is perfectly acceptable.

Should have been stated straight-forward up front, however. IMHO, of course.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM

"merely fixing or extending a sprinkler system."

We are actually putting one in, currently we don't have a system at all besides the old move the plastic sprinkler every 30 minutes.

I am looking to buy the system above wholesale but below retail (lowes,home depot) cost.

I have seen my BIWs work, he has his own company, crew etc. He does extensions, remodels etc. When it comes to home projects he is my go too, city-data is my 2nd!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
I am looking to buy the system above wholesale but below retail (lowes,home depot) cost.
We had our sprinkler system put in on our massive 6000-ish square feet estate (not counting the space the house takes up on that 6000 ft) in 1994.

At that time it cost $2900.

Though labor was not broken out separately (at least in any paperwork I kept) you can assume that was by far the largest part of the cost. For example, here's a typical sprinkler head:

At Lowes it costs less than $3. (and "Rain Bird" brand as mentioned by another poster above are the same, pretty much)

The various other pieces (not counting controller) cost even less than that. Piping is like $3 per 10ft.

Probably looking at parts costs WELL under $300 even with a ridiculously feature-filled controller.

All of this stuff is REALLY simple to hook together and hook together properly.

Labor, if manual, will still be expensive. Meeting code is, of course, still necessary (like placing gravel above piping so future diggers know when to stop).

Good luck - Good Ol' Virginia Red Clay ... resists ... most digging tools.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,110 times
Just curious, but have you gotten quotes from sprinkler professionals to see how much it would really cost? For all you know, you might just be okay with shelling that much amount if it saves you the time in researching, buying, and installing it yourself.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:22 PM

@Kutra11
This is what I have my Brother in law, he is planning on renting a bobcat ripping up the current grass or lackthereof, and put the sprinklet system in. He will be aided with myself, wife, and one or two friends of mine. Payment in steaks and beer should be sufficient.

I will be shelling out $$ for sod to be placed. This is for just over 0.5 acre lot with a ~4800sq ft house sitting almost in the middle.

Figure if I am going to put sod down, rip up the grass, put topsoil down, then why not put the sprinkler system in at the same time.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:49 PM

Your gotchas will be (1) deciding where and what type of heads to put in, (2) what type of controller to use and how many sets of sprinklers to control (we have a 5 set controller but only use 4), (3) how to hook into the water supply, and (4) what's necessary to make it legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia