Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:24 AM

837 posts, read 1,794,735 times

Advertisements

So, I've heard that DC traffic is ridiculous, so I'm trying to understand where I could realistically live - and if my plans are remotely achievable. Nearest big landmark to my office would be Tysons Galleria, although the office is just inside the beltway.

* My rental budget would be $2500 a month, I'd be hoping for a 3bd, ideally a town-home or SF (not likely, but one can dream). Annandale, Burke seemed like options, although perhaps suburban sprawl feel. Falls Church seemed like a nice potential area that would be nearby, although im sure the cost would be higher. Would Arlington be plausible or would I be signing up for a world of hurt?

* There also seems to be a big premium put on "inside the beltway" (or well, people seem to highlight this fact as a key issue on rental ads) -- can someone elaborate why? Is it a commuting issue or just that nicer areas are inside the beltway?

* I'd want to be somewhere that would also be reasonably distanced from DC itself if possible as my wife may also look for work in the area.

* We have a 1 year old too, so wherever we live would have to be somewhat family friendly.

* My work hours, I've been told (grain salt apply) would be 'flexible', so I might be able to shave off a little on commute.

Last edited by chicagotodc; 04-06-2010 at 05:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 AM

175 posts, read 436,730 times
You might be able to find what you are looking for in Mclean with a lot of searching and a realtor. I am not sure where you are coming from but the houses in that price range are all built in the 50s and 60s. Mclean is beautiful but discouraging in what you get for your money. However another area to look at if you are working in Tysons is Vienna. Very nice, family friendly community and you would get a little more for your money. We just moved last fall and I wish I had looked their before we rented in Mclean.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,859,947 times
Actually, with your budget I think you could find something in Falls Church or Vienna. A realtor might be helpful. Best of luck, and welcome to northern Virginia.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,084,811 times
Vienna may indeed work terms of the atmosphere you want as well as Falls Church although I'm not totally certain about the budget. Others here should have more knowledge about that.

Yes, being "inside the Beltway" is a commuting advantage for those headed to DC, particularly with the most of the Metrorail system on this side of the Potomac being within that highway.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:40 AM

23 posts, read 66,455 times
Welcome to Northern VA! I would recommend Falls Church or Vienna if you are going to be working near Tysons. Commuting from Arlington to the Tysons area can get a little hairy...
Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-06-2010 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: real estate advertising; please review Terms of Service

Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 AM

9,765 posts, read 15,715,713 times
I agree that Falls Church or Vienna would fit the bill - close to your work and not your typical suburban sprawl. McLean would work, too, but is generally more expensive than either Falls Church or Vienna. Arlington is closer to the city, and therefore more expensive, plus it's farther from your work. Annandale might be another good option.

"Inside the beltway" is advertised because it means closer to DC, not necessarily because it's nicer. There are nice, safe communities both inside and outside the beltway. And there are less desireable communities inside and outside the beltway, too. (Although less desireable places inside the beltway are still somewhat desireable because they are convenient to DC.) Clear as mud? :-)

Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 AM

617 posts, read 1,351,729 times
Default If it helps

I grew up on the Falls Church/McLean border, and my first job out of college was in Tysons's. For the first few months, I did the typical "live at home after graduation" thing while I saved up some rental money. The commute from Falls Church to Tysons is pretty easy, and you can get there via back roads without too much trouble. It never took me more than 15 minutes.

Don't know where your wife is planning on working, but Falls Church also has a pair of Metro stops, so getting to other points in the D.C. area should be easy.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 PM

Any thoughts on the Clarendon area? Is it nice? Seems like it would only be about 12 miles away which shouldn't be that bad... Anyone wanna take a stab at estimating that commute?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:07 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,084,811 times
Looking at the original post again, I should say that IMO there are relatively few areas in Northern Virginia - Fairfax County in particular - that would not be attractive to families. If you equate certain housing preferences to a level of family-friendliness, then that could be another story.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 PM

By family friendly I just meant that it would be nice to be in an area with other families -- e.g. a sense of community -- access to some public parks, safe area, etc. Part of that starts getting into the good schools issue, but thats still a few years out for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia