U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 02:25 PM

18 posts, read 61,764 times

Advertisements

I live in Maryland and I love it here, but my Husband is taking a job in Leesburg,Va. so the pressure is on for us to find a great place for kids and us. Does anyone know of some good areas that are great for kids ie: (outside of school), Football Teams, Soccer, etc.

I would love to live in a community where the house are not on top of each other. My Husband likes the Purcellville area, or maybe a tad further west.

Anyone have any ideas ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 08:57 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,666,943 times
I live in leesburg. Purceville and Roundhill are great and the houses have more space. There are actually quite a few in Leesburg on larger lots but they are $$$$.

Schools out here are great and they are FINALLY going to start to bulid the new HS in Purceville. All youth leagues here are available. LYSA (loudoun youth soccer association) is huge with both recreational and travel legues from 5-18 yrs. Baseball and softball and swimteams. Youh Football is very big as well.

IDA LEE rec center is a great facility and open to hte public. All sorts of classes and activites. Tennis courts (buliding newindoor ones) Swimming pool (going to build a new outdoor facility) Google IDA LEE and Loudoun county recs t oget an idea.

It is EXTREMELY safe and child friendly both downtown Leesburg and downtown Purceville are quaint old historic downtowns.

Depending on where in MD you live youcan always take Whites Ferry over instead of going up to point of rocks or 495.

We moved here from PA and I really like it the kids had an easy trnsition into school and have made some great friends.
PM if you have any questions.

OH...I'd stayaway from Luckettes right now. I love it (it beautiful country)but they are not widening rt 15 and staring about 4pm th traffic backs up so bad that it can take sometime 30-45min to go from Leesburg to Luckettes, also no grocery stores etc out there...poor plannng all aroud.

also look into Lovettesville ,Hamilton, Hillsboro, Bluemont and Philomont all those are in loudoun county.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Thanks for the info on the Leesburg area...What about Winchester

Thanks for the reply. Now my husband is looking at Winchester. I don't know much about it except what I read online. We will go out there to look on this Weds. What do you know about that area? Apparently you get more for your money there and lower taxes. I am concerned about the school and sports activities etc...
Also, I talked to a friend who lived in Leesburg until recently for 13 yrs and they moved away from there because of trouble with the high school??? Do you know anything about trouble there? Apparently some rough kids or something???
Thanks!

Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 PM

no can't say as I've heard about too much trouble in any of the HS here.
Loudoun Valley has an excellent rep and Heritage is very good as well.
Not to say you aren't going to have your typical HS "rough crowd" we do have some low income housing here in Leesburg and that has it's own problems. But I wouldn't leave Leesburg for Winchester. Windchester is a very nice town but it to has it's problems. The is a "rougher section" of town etc...
Winchester is almost an hour from Leesburg. I personally like Purceville/Leesburg better than Winchester. Loudoun county schools are very good. But housing is lower and so are taxes.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:58 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,126,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
no can't say as I've heard about too much trouble in any of the HS here.
Loudoun Valley has an excellent rep and Heritage is very good as well.
Not to say you aren't going to have your typical HS "rough crowd" we do have some low income housing here in Leesburg and that has it's own problems. But I wouldn't leave Leesburg for Winchester. Windchester is a very nice town but it to has it's problems. The is a "rougher section" of town etc...
Winchester is almost an hour from Leesburg. I personally like Purceville/Leesburg better than Winchester. Loudoun county schools are very good. But housing is lower and so are taxes.
Sorry, but Leesburg is not paradise. Its very ghetto in some areas like Loudoun House, etc.

But overall, its right charming. I grew up near Leesburg and I miss it when it was just a regular Mayberry town and not a place for people who work in DC to commute from.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but Leesburg is not paradise. Its very ghetto in some areas like Loudoun House, etc.
Loudoun house doesn't exist anymore. I believe, They tore it down to bulid the new safty center... Police station and fire house right on Plaza rd.
The Fields apt complex is section 8.

I never siad it was a paradise!
But it is safe and even the Leesburg "ghetto" isn't that bad...mostly low income families. I drive right through it everyday, yes there is crime and drugs etc... same as in any city. But even at night I drive all aroud PLAZA street and EDwards ferry rd without a problem.

And the OP is Not commuting to DC...the job is in Leesburg

Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 PM

146 posts, read 767,965 times
Having a job in Leesburg wives you guys a lot of options versus those who work in Fairfax County.
Winchester will save you money on a home and taxes. The "school snobs" will try to convince you that not living in one of the rich counties will doom your kids to a life of ignorance, but don't believe 'em. Parents are way more important than schools. $12,000 per pupil sounds nice, but in Loudoun it comes at a cost: $0.97 per $100 of assessed value, to be exact Not sure what Winchester's rate is but it must be better.
I have lived in Hamilton (2 miles east of Purcellville) since January of this year. We like it, it's nice and quiet and the people are nicer than Fairfax, where we previously lived. You have more natives in western Loudoun, vs. more transients east of Leesburg.
Unfortunately I hate my job and am moving to Charlottesville for a different job...going to have to take a hit on my house but what can you do?
The towns west of Leesburg are nice and quiet and there is a ton of grassroots activism against sprawl and over-development, so it should stay relatively rural. There is a lot to do in Winchester, and a commute on 7 would not be too bad. Once 9 comes in from WV, there's congestion, but that is 5 miles from Leesburg.
Leesburg has some crummy parts but mostly nice parts. There are relatively inexpensive subdivisions like Foxfields to the south. There are single family homes under $400k, which is a rarity. Hamilton, Purcellville, Lovettsville, and the surrounding areas also have more affordable homes. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2007, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,871 times
Default Winchester offers much for a family!

Don't know if you are still looking, but Winchester to Leesburg is a decent commute and the area schools are good. Ryland Homes has a great neighborhood just east of Rt 81 off of Rt 7, Steeplechase. There is a fantastic park, Jim Barnett Park, within a mile or two that has pools, tennis, basketball, ball fields etc. All of the shopping and other conveniences of Winchester are within 10 minutes! Good Luck!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM

Default What School Districts do you prefer & Why?

What about the school districts? I hear different things and don't know where we should focus? Clarke County, Winchester, Frederick?? I know parents make the difference....but give me more info than that if possible.
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or