Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times

Advertisements

almost ironic that baltimore is thought of as more laid back and it is north of dc lol. some even think dc is more northern than baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 08:56 PM

57 posts, read 173,882 times
I'm a Yankee and proud of it! (Heck, we won - we have a right to gloat!). I have spent a few years in Texas and I find the people here near DC are no friendlier or meaner. To me its the "Times Square" theory: Someone from Alabama brings their family to the big city and someone bumps into them. "Heck, these NYers are ALWAYS in a hurry and they are RUDE", but what they don't realize is that the person who bumped into them may not be from NY. They may be another person from another place who just happened to bump into them at one of the countries biggest intersections.

As for moving back "north", I'd do it. I find people in the south very closed minded, very abrasive and who feel threatened by anyone with an education or who can speak non-hickish English. (BTW - If you wanna **** a Southerner off, ask him why the "General Lee" from the "Dukes of Hazzard" has a number one on the side. When he gives you some BS answer, ask him "But the Confederates came in second during the war, shouldn't it be a number two?")

Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You are making me laugh. It really is the case that Southerners like to talk. A lot. And, as long as they bring plenty of good Southern food to the chat-filled event, I am 100% down with that.

You know how to quiet a full room full of small-town Southeners? Announce that you voted for a Democrat. Silence will immediately descend on the room, and all those folks who wanted to know about Mama will stop in mid-sentence, mouths agape, while they gaze at you with a mixture of concern and horror on their faces. They will then take up a collection the following Sunday to help you move back to their town, where people think straight.

Definitely not as many good cream pies, biscuits, and potato salads in NoVa, but a little more diversity in thought is accepted..guess you could say it's because no one cares as much what others think or do up here!
Yes, those of us with southern backgrounds like to talk. It's absolutely true that if you ask a southerner a question, you get a story, sometimes a VERY long story. I love that. I want to know every little detail of a story. My best friend and I INSIST on every little detail when we relate a story to each other. It drives my kids crazy that I can never give a yes or no answer. What the heck fun is a yes or no answer?!

The strange thing that I found when I moved further north, from Vienna, to far northwestern Loudoun county, I found that the people were more southern! I moved north, and got southerners. Maybe it's just that we live out in the country. People here love to talk and they sure as heck know how to tell a story! No one out here has every met a stranger. And yes, they are ALL republicans. Every single house in my neighborhood. I am not exaggerating. Country people, most with money, most all are white, and all republican. I reckon it all fits! I have died and gone to Heaven!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
almost ironic that baltimore is thought of as more laid back and it is north of dc lol. some even think dc is more northern than baltimore.
I can't explain it, but it's true. Baltimore has more REAL people than DC, families who have been there for generations and often centuries.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:25 PM

271 posts, read 393,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Yes, those of us with southern backgrounds like to talk. It's absolutely true that if you ask a southerner a question, you get a story, sometimes a VERY long story. I love that. I want to know every little detail of a story. My best friend and I INSIST on every little detail when we relate a story to each other. It drives my kids crazy that I can never give a yes or no answer. What the heck fun is a yes or no answer?!

The strange thing that I found when I moved further north, from Vienna, to far northwestern Loudoun county, I found that the people were more southern! I moved north, and got southerners. Maybe it's just that we live out in the country. People here love to talk and they sure as heck know how to tell a story! No one out here has every met a stranger. And yes, they are ALL republicans. Every single house in my neighborhood. I am not exaggerating. Country people, most with money, most all are white, and all republican. I reckon it all fits! I have died and gone to Heaven!
No i'm sure in, Heaven, you're going to be amongst a lot of poor and rich black,hispanic,asian,etc. and probably a mess of them poor white folk... just for good measure. I know that may scare you, but look on the bright side maybe you won't get into ,Heaven, in the first place. P.S. there will probably be Democrats, also.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
It gets a really bad rap, but I'd love to try out Pittsburgh, It's currently my favorite city. Between the architecture, density, topography, and the fact I've encountered nothing but friendly people on every visit, makes it very attractive to me. Oh and it's much more affordable than many other big northeast cities. New York would be cool just for that ultra huge mega world city vibe, but would never be able to afford it. Visiting is great though. Boston is another city that I wouldn't mind trying out too. Philadelphia is another cool city, but it's crime rate is kinda scary, Was just there in November. But ultimately, my friends and family(most of them) are in VA and so is my future wifes. So if we did move somewhere else, we would be bored and lonely, and ultimately would probably end up moving back. Of course I'd try to make friend anywhere I go, but you never know.
I like Pittsburgh too and have been there many times. However, I would never move there because of the weather. It rains too much! I've never spent two or more days there when it was rainy at least one whole day. Winters are gray and rainy. I hate that kind of weather. It's the same thing that would keep us from ever living in Seattle. Too much rain!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
You know, I've heard a lot of good things about Pittsburgh in the way that I view good things. Friendly people and a sense of community.

Maybe some day this area will be that way. Was just in Loudoun County this a.m. What a messed up place. Half of what is there didn't exist 10 years ago.
You should have continued right on out to Western Loudoun! It's beautiful out here this time of year. The mountains are great. Visit one of our vineyards with spectacular views and enjoy some great wine!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot424 View Post
based on your posts you are nothing but a naysayer so i doubt you could be happy anywhere. I've been in nova since 73 and in my current neighborhood since 86. We make it what we want and we have a very good sense of community where i'm at. I can walk over and talk to one of several neighbors anytime any of us are out.
Maybe by looking in the mirror you'll recognize the problem.
bingo!!!!!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
I wonder if Frederick, MD povides a 'community feel' in it's downtown. instead of moving all the way out to winchester or west of leesburg could move there, get a job in dc or moco and MARC it.
The small towns in Western Loudoun are just like that. We all talk to each other and I wouldn't think of passing a car in my area and not waving. We're friendly. We like each other. I have the world's best neighbors who got FAR out of their way to help each other.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Oh man, I so wish I could have lived in a NOVA like that. Back when there were farms in Western Fairfax County. Sometimes I hear about the innocent things that they used to have like a children's storybook park, a Western theme park, and a place that had pony rides.

I mentioned this before, but I think that it was more friendly even in the '90s. Someday, I'll probably even look back on this time with nostalgia the way things are going.
Sounds like you need to move to Western Loudoun where we've lots of cows and horses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia