U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:29 PM

26,553 posts, read 47,250,040 times

Advertisements

This article from my hometown newspaper has really just single-handedly done a lot to restore my faith in the people of Virginia:

Visitor helps W-B stabbing victim | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, PA (http://www.timesleader.com/news/Visitor_helps_W-B_stabbing_victim_04-07-2010.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,242,840 times
RR, I like the article. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 PM

26,553 posts, read 47,250,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
You're welcome. It made me happy for the first time in a while to see someone actually stop and try to do the "right" thing. I'm sure others before him may have just kept on driving, not wanting to get involved. The "Bystander Effect" occurs when nobody will help someone in need because everyone who could help assumes someone else will. I'm glad he took action and saved that man's life. What a terrible "welcome" to the city where I went to college though---dodging potholes on a street and then seeing a man bleeding to death.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:15 PM

15,228 posts, read 17,941,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Same here. Know it doesn't seem like it in this forum but Virginians are generally good about helping someone in a perilous situation. This from someone who has lived in VA for 19 years.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:18 PM

95 posts, read 63,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
There's really only one way out of what has been ailing me.
Yes, a change of attitude.

Life is whatever you make of it.
Where you see atrocious architecture I see a variety of breathtaking landscapes. The beauty of the water in places like Great Falls Park and Old Town Alexandria in such close proximity to some of the man made wonders in downtown DC.

Where you see disingenuous people and NIMBYs I see limitless opportunity. A populace that may very well be the most highly educated of any densely populated area on the face of the earth. A place where the conversation is only limited by your own narrow view of how you perceive things to be. If you are unable to see how truly inspiring people are here I suggest taking the time and effort to attend events like Ignite DC.

Where you see chain restaurants and people that lack any sense of identity and warmth, I see an area with an incredible depth of cultural variety. From my favorite Halal butcher in downtown Falls Church, to China Town in DC, to the heavily frequented Hispanic flea markets that recreate a tiny piece of what life is like in Central America.

If you really can't find any beauty in what is around you, then I seriously have to question your attitude. While I'm sure things are much different in small town PA, that doesn't make things any less amazing right here in Northern Virginia.

Open your eyes and embrace all this area has to offer...if you're unable to make friends that will last a lifetime right here in the nation's capital then I suggest you look inside yourself for answers and not out at the rest of the world in angst.

Lighten up brother, life truly isn't that bad.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:18 PM

404 posts, read 619,718 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned quote removed

Keep in mind.. many of us don't like it here. I understand you miss PA, and feel free to move back, if you can find gainful employment. Many of us are here for one reason, and that is for a career. Considering the state of the economy, I don't think anyone should under appreciate such a value proposition. Lots of people came from smaller towns with a "home" like feel. Many intend to move back. Don't feel you are special because you came from no where and somehow feel superior to those who CHOOSE to make a living here.

Mod cut

Many people are not entirely satisfied with the way their lives turned out. Unfortunately, too many people were raised being taught that they were somehow special and the rules of engagement do not apply for them in the game of life. You have two choices, you can drive yourself mad trying to find an ideal that doesn't exist, or you can man up and just learn to deal with the REAL world and make the best of it.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-07-2010 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Orphaned quote removed

Old 04-07-2010, 06:50 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,163,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksmart View Post

Where you see atrocious architecture I see a variety of breathtaking landscapes. The beauty of the water in places like Great Falls Park and Old Town Alexandria in such close proximity to some of the man made wonders in downtown DC.

Where you see disingenuous people and NIMBYs I see limitless opportunity. A populace that may very well be the most highly educated of any densely populated area on the face of the earth. A place where the conversation is only limited by your own narrow view of how you perceive things to be. If you are unable to see how truly inspiring people are here I suggest taking the time and effort to attend events like Ignite DC.

Where you see chain restaurants and people that lack any sense of identity and warmth, I see an area with an incredible depth of cultural variety. From my favorite Halal butcher in downtown Falls Church, to China Town in DC, to the heavily frequented Hispanic flea markets that recreate a tiny piece of what life is like in Central America.

If you really can't find any beauty in what is around you, then I seriously have to question your attitude. While I'm sure things are much different in small town PA, that doesn't make things any less amazing right here in Northern Virginia.

Open your eyes and embrace all this area has to offer...if you're unable to make friends that will last a lifetime right here in the nation's capital then I suggest you look inside yourself for answers and not out at the rest of the world in angst.

KSmart, very nice. I see you're new; welcome to the forum!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM

95 posts, read 63,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
KSmart, very nice. I see you're new; welcome to the forum!

Long time lurker, just getting around to the posting part

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:51 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,282,620 times
Quote:

Wow! Awesome post!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 AM

15,400 posts, read 18,096,522 times
Quote:

Nice post! Glad you've decided to become more active in the forum.

Thanks for sharing the article, RR. It's always interesting to read about the area in out-of-state newspapers. It was nice to read a story like that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia