U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:22 PM

461 posts, read 795,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
They are still not cops.
It still makes a point:

Court documents say the woman was instructed by Settles to lie down on the bed while he allegedly told her "U.S. Marshal, you have to do what I tell you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 9,197 times
noteworthy point: in the newsarticle...the Police took a photo and showed the pic to the victim....did they show 6 pics in a photo array or just one...this can be prejudicial...

Old 04-26-2010, 03:43 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,840,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1842 View Post
noteworthy point: in the newsarticle...the Police took a photo and showed the pic to the victim....did they show 6 pics in a photo array or just one...this can be prejudicial...

Photo line ups are often not the best way to go. They can be helpful certainly but far from perfect.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Photo line ups are often not the best way to go. They can be helpful certainly but far from perfect.
What is the best way to go? From a NOVA police perspective.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeastatlast View Post
No, the point is in one thread you bash law enforcement and say that people should be free to do what they want, such as parade around naked in front of a window in their house. Fine, but don't turn around and say that a group that looks out for their interests, much like one poster said the NAACP, or the ACLU, or any other such group, and say that they don't have the right to point out blatant racism towards their religion. As I said, you can't have it both ways.
You're silly. You want to say that I either favor a police state or anarchy, or maybe that am a prude or favor rape. Fairfax County Police should at least follow Virginia court precedence when entering a home. What's outrageous about that?

Homeland Security and the FBI, etc. should stop looking the other way at obvious terrorist threats as they did with Major Nidal Malik Hasan before he murdered 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded 32 others. Is that outrageous?

There is a HUGE difference between the NAACP and what's going on with the Muslim community in NOVA. We are a nation at war with Islamic fundamentalists. We have proven terrorist cells here. I am saying that Constitutional -- let me repeat -- Constitutional surveillance should take place here when merited. This means that there is probable cause such as radical statements and associations as in the case of Hasan that were overlooked. This does not include coming in their doors because they are human and seen showering through their windows by voyeuristic trespassing police wives.

Does any of this make sense to you? Terrorism -- bad. Police abuse -- bad. Constitutional government, law and order -- good.

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-30-2010 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 PM

17 posts, read 34,503 times
I saw an interview with the guy in question. He said he had been drinking the night before, yet had to get up early for work. He got up, made coffee, then while standing at the counter (6 something in the morning) proceeded to drink a cup. He had no idea there was anyone out there.

Was it really a pathway or did she cut through his yard? I thought she cut through his yard by an unofficial pathway?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan2009 View Post
I saw an interview with the guy in question. He said he had been drinking the night before, yet had to get up early for work. He got up, made coffee, then while standing at the counter (6 something in the morning) proceeded to drink a cup. He had no idea there was anyone out there.

Was it really a pathway or did she cut through his yard? I thought she cut through his yard by an unofficial pathway?
I don't know where worn down grass, or whatever, started, but she trespassed across his lawn to cut through.

When I learned that it was dark out when the woman cut through, I realized that he couldn't have known that someone was out there.

I take off my clothes in my house sometimes too to take showers, etc. and can't guarantee the window situation all the time, esp if someone is trespassing, so I sympathize.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:02 PM

25 posts, read 79,881 times
[quote=FairfaxGuy73;13967325]You're silly. You want to say that I either favor a police state or anarchy, or maybe that am a prude or favor rape. Fairfax County Police should at least follow Virginia court precedence when entering a home. What's outrageous about that?
[quote]

Funny you brought the disagreement over here, but I'll bite. The problem with doing something about these terrorist cells is the length of time it takes to build up a solid case. Do you know why it takes so long? Because law enforcement's ability to do their job has been hampered, diluted, and basically nullified by the political correctness of our society. Nobody wants to do something that might offend a certain person or group of people. This includes the ability to conduct "legal" surveillances.

Now, as far as me being "sillly", I think you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth. On one hand, you say stay out of my business when I'm in my home. However, when your behavior at home has a negative effect on the people outside of your home (such as a 7 year old seeing a naked man in the window), something needs to be done. And when you talk about the police "breaking in" to this guy's home, you are completely off base. If a window is broken, couldn't that be a sign that a forced entry has been made? And if the police are responding to a call of a bruglary in progress, or suspicious behavior, and they see possible signs of forced entry, wouldn't it make sense that they investigate further? What if they didn't go in and a crime was taking place inside? i bet you'd be the first in line slinging mud at the stupid Fairfax Police not doing their job when someone needed their help.

As an aside, put yourself in the cop's shoes. Would you enter a strange house where there are signs of forced entry without having your gun drawn? Who knows what you would find. And if you encountered a person in said house, wouldn't you ask for identification or some explanation as to who they were and if they in fact lived there? I think a reasonable person would agree that these are all fair actions to take in the course of an investigation of a suspected crime.

I get your point about the need to do something about the terrorist groups that are actively recruiting, planning, and doing business in the U.S.. Believe me, we agree on that point. What I don't get is your apparent disdain for the police mixed with your cries for action. How can they do both and still keep you happy?

I'll summarize:

Terrorism-bad
Liberals -bad
Liberal Lawyers- really bad
Police abuse- didn't happen in this case
Constitutional government, law and order- definitely good!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:49 AM

Come on. The police went by the house the first time and found "no signs of life." After a police wife called in the second complaint and they swing by the house again, the officers decided that there was a possible break in so they enter without a warrant. The sign of a break in was simply a missing inner door window. No glass breakage, no outer door prying. In fact, the house was unlocked. Why the heck would a burglar carefully unlock an outer door and then remove an inner pane? What a dammed hell of a way to get around Constitutional protections that so many have fought to protect.

Again, this exceeds Virginia court precedent as per this article:

"Young cited to Roush a 2005 Virginia Court of Appeals case, which ruled that "the mere discovery of an 'open door' of a residence -- absent some other reasons for concern -- is not, in and of itself, a circumstance that could give rise to a reasonable belief that entry is necessary to prevent harm to persons or property."

Crime Scene - Police entered Naked Guy's house with no warrant, guns drawn

The officers could have waited before entering and observed from outside to see any evidence of a burglar. If you enter a man's home with guns drawn, it's a potentially lethal situation because many of us protect our own homes with firearms. Personally, I believe that there's a good chance that I would have been killed. These officers and their authorizing superiors were OUT OF CONTROL.

This is the Virginia of George Washington, George Mason, and Thomas Jefferson, whose ideas and specific words we base our Virginia and national constitution and laws on. Do you really believe they would have been all right with government officials visiting a residence for an infraction, then suddenly deciding that they should enter warrantless, due to a flimsy excuse?

Old 05-01-2010, 01:14 AM

Just to be fair to the officers, it was the whole county system, not just them. Convicting Judge Ian M. O'Flaherty (before a jury overturned his decision) compared the Naked Guy to John Dillinger. Dillinger was the top person on America's Most Wanted list and had organized a crime ring that robbed many banks and killed people. The Naked Guy stood before the judge for a misdemeanor and had harmed no one. This just shows how out of touch and weirdo our judges must be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or