U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:23 PM

257 posts, read 587,469 times

Advertisements

DC hands down. The only issue is the cost of living but you get what you pay for! Atlanta is ok but it just doesn't excite me. Plus, all of my friends that have moved to Atlanta have moved away in the last few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,653,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehigh View Post
DC hands down. The only issue is the cost of living but you get what you pay for! Atlanta is ok but it just doesn't excite me. Plus, all of my friends that have moved to Atlanta have moved away in the last few years.
It seems like a lot of people in DC eventually leave because it's so expensive. I have yet to hear anyone leave Atlanta after moving there. That's not to say they all love it there. But none of them hate it enough to move.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,584,186 times
Denny, have you started applying to both cities yet? Any interviews or potential jobs?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Denny, have you started applying to both cities yet? Any interviews or potential jobs?
I've started applying to both. Haven't heard from either. What's becoming painfully obvious is that employers have a strong preference for local candidates. If that's the case, I may have no choice but to move before I land a job. But that comes with its own disadvantages. No income and having to apply as an unemployed person, which many employers are refusing to even consider. But if it comes to that, I don't think it would be very smart to move to DC. My savings will last a lot longer in Atlanta. In DC, I could exhaust through them pretty quickly.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,920,267 times
FWIW, I've known plenty of people who've moved to and then moved away from both DC and Atlanta. People who move to new cities often find out it doesn't live up to their expectations and then move again.

But, that's beside the point. The point is DC is only a good choice if you have a job offer. If you don't already have a job, I totally agree that you SHOULD NOT move to the DC area. Atlanta is the better choice for an unemployed person.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The point is DC is only a good choice if you have a job offer. If you don't already have a job, I totally agree that you SHOULD NOT move to the DC area. Atlanta is the better choice for an unemployed person.
I'd rather not have to move without a job lined up first. But I may have no choice. My current job will end soon. If not this year, then in the early part of next year.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM

110 posts, read 233,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'd rather not have to move without a job lined up first. But I may have no choice. My current job will end soon. If not this year, then in the early part of next year.
I know you said you don't want to spend another winter in the midwest, but would you be eligible for unemployment benefits when your job ends? If so, and you don't line up a job in DC or Atlanta first, it might be worth waiting and then you can move to one of these cities without having to dip into savings for a little while as you look for jobs.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:15 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,830,715 times
Denny, you seem like a really great guy, but moving here without a job could be a nightmare. I know how hard the Chicago winter's are but it's not worth it. The hard truth is a person who moves to a new state without a job is going to have an unusually hard time finding a new job. Harder than you would have if you stayed where you are.

The reason is some prospective employers may question your judgement because of the move (unless you also said you had a very compelling reason to make the move, such as moving here to care for a sick relative). It could be a black mark against you, and if there's another qualified candidate they'll choose him over you.

It's a hard thing to hear, and I wish it wasn't so. But, until the economy improves moving without a job will just make your job search so much harder. I hate writing words like this because in better times I'm a big fan of moving around the country and trying new places. Sadly, these days it's just not a smart thing to do, IMO. I would stay in Chicago for now and keep applying. Sooner or later something will come through.

Last edited by normie; 06-21-2010 at 02:27 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 01:24 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,089,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
I know you said you don't want to spend another winter in the midwest, but would you be eligible for unemployment benefits when your job ends? If so, and you don't line up a job in DC or Atlanta first, it might be worth waiting and then you can move to one of these cities without having to dip into savings for a little while as you look for jobs.
I would agree with these suggestions, Denny. As someone who still has nightmares of this winter's Snowmageddon and Snowpacalypse - Happy Summer everybody, BTW! - I can understand your eagerness to leave Midwest winters behind. But I'd apply for unemployment first and maybe look into a month-to-month rent situation.

Even if you did move to DC intending to live off your savings for a while, the areas that would be the most bang for your budgeting buck - e.g. Manassas, Woodbridge, Fredericksburg - would be way too far from the usual job centers. It would be like commuting from, say, Kenosha.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Denny, please don't take this the wrong way. You seem like a really great guy, but the hard truth is a person who moves to a new state without a job is going to have an unusually hard time finding a new job. Harder than you would have if you stayed where you are.

The reason is: a prospective employer will think you've demonstrated poor judgement by making that move (unless you also said you had a very compelling reason to make the move, such as moving here to care for a sick relative). It's a black mark against you, and if there's another qualified candidate they'll choose him over you.

It's a hard thing to hear, and I wish it wasn't so. But, unless someone is holding a gun to your head you really don't have to move and until the economy improves moving without a job will just make your job search so much harder. I hate writing words like this because in better times I'm a big fan of moving around the country and trying new places. Sadly, these days it's just not a smart thing to do, IMO. I would stay in Chicago for now and keep applying. Sooner or later something will come through.
I'm quite aware of this. Fortunately, if a prospective employer asks why I moved to either city without a job lined up, I have a good answer. Instead of just saying that I wanted to move somewhere with better weather, I can use the "closer to family" excuse. In the case of both cities, it's true. I have family in Virginia and Florida and being close to family in either state is definitely a big factor in why I'm targeting DC and Atlanta. Second, at least in the case of Atlanta, my savings will last longer than they would here. Suppose my job ended tomorrow. I could stay here and continue looking for a job in Atlanta, but being an out-of-state candidate, I would be at a considerable disadvantage. So if I'm going to have to live off of savings either way, doesn't it make more sense to live in the city where my savings will last longer AND where I'll have a local address? Now, I'm sure someone will ask why I don't just find another job in Chicago when I lose my current one, continue looking for jobs in Atlanta, and then move once I find one there? Well the problem is where I live in Chicago. I'm nowhere near the city and, unfortunately, that's where all the jobs are in my field. A big reason why I took my current job is that it's within driving distance. But if I were to try to look for another job here in the Chicago area, I would have no choice but to move closer. And it's not like that comes with any guarantees. I could move in closer which would not only require that I potentially pay to break my current lease, but given that I'd have to live closer to the city, my rent would be even higher than it is now. So my savings would be depleted even sooner and I might still not have found a job in time. By that point, I wouldn't even have enough to pay to move to Atlanta. It's a lousy situation I'm in and every option has a major downside. I'm just trying to figure out which has the worst one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia