U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:52 PM

62 posts, read 108,566 times

Advertisements

All this junk about what your employer thinks of why or why not you moved here?? Come on people! When I interview people (about 30 last year) I am looking for skills and personality. That is it. I have interviewed many people. If you took two years off to travel around Africa or whatever, all the better . I you still live with mom but can write pretty code, so be it. If your life is your car and watching sports , good for you.
I work in IT, I moved here without a job, found one in a month. To me I like to live in town while I interview because, while they are interviewing me, I am interviewing them. Flying in for a interview does not give you any idea where they are located. Also, the job has to be good, your co-workers and manager have to be smart and the work has to be interesting , why settle for anything less? Not some hole outside the beltway where you have to drive anywhere to get lunch or sit in your cube with raw carrots and water like a bunny in a cage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 PM

396 posts, read 962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info781 View Post
All this junk about what your employer thinks of why or why not you moved here?? Come on people! When I interview people (about 30 last year) I am looking for skills and personality. That is it. I have interviewed many people. If you took two years off to travel around Africa or whatever, all the better . I you still live with mom but can write pretty code, so be it.
I wish I could interview with you! This may be true in IT and hopefully true for the OP, but in my field (education related) I find I am getting all sorts of interview questions in DC about why I haven't been working lately (relocation issues, plus wanted to take some time off for personal goals) and stuff I wasn't asked in all the years I lived in NC and GA (I did not live in Atlanta, but went there often.) It's very strange; it may just be my career field...

GA PROS:
-better, warmer winters
-lower cost of living
-newer housing stock (compared to MD or DC, maybe not VA)
-friendlier, more laid back people
-MARTA, in my opinion, is much nicer than Metro. Someone even offered me a seat during rush hour last summer!
-shorter allergy season
-there is some ethnic diversity, and Atlanta is the "black mecca"

GA CONS:
-hot summer which seems to sometimes run from April/May to November, must like heat and humidity (which I like...con for some people)
-traffic; must own car
-job market may be weaker; you would want to try to talk to folks about the IT job market before moving
-most cultural activities require $$
-fewer parks and tax-funded activities
-there are ...., especially in the rest of GA. Some are nice, some are not.

DC PROS:
-cool museums and lots of free cultural activities
-if you like 4 seasons, you will find them here
-good job market
-very diverse
-lots of public transportation
-more cosmopolitan feel (if you like that...)
-better libraries, higher taxes which fund them.

DC CONS:
-traffic is insane
-cold winters (to me) and broiling southern summers (but shorter than GA)
-"southern efficiency and northern hospitality" (not very efficient, not very hospitable)
-people not as friendly, more status oriented
-housing is incredibly expensive; if single you could live in a "group house" to save money

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-21-2010 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: watch the stereotypes....

Old 06-21-2010, 07:39 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,826,958 times
Well, best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do. Personally, I think moving to Nova without a job is a horrible decision. But everyone has to follow his own path, maybe what would be horrible for most would work out ok for you.

Still, since you asked for opinions, of the two I'd choose Atlanta, where your savings will go a little farther.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:43 AM

110 posts, read 272,085 times
DC is a great place to live but if you're broke and can't enjoy it, what's the point? It's too expensive without a decent job, especially if you're just starting out in your career. I lived near Fort Belvoir for 4 years before moving to Atlanta in 2007. The jobs in my field just weren't paying enough, they were more short-term proejcts, and there was too much competition for the better-paying jobs. I got a better job in Atlanta. I loved living in the DC area, but I don't have to worry as much about money in Atlanta, even if the quality of living is lower. Atlanta is closer to lots of interesting places in the Southeast and I take advantage of that.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,650,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
GA PROS:
-better, warmer winters
-lower cost of living
-newer housing stock (compared to MD or DC, maybe not VA)
-friendlier, more laid back people
-MARTA, in my opinion, is much nicer than Metro. Someone even offered me a seat during rush hour last summer!
-shorter allergy season
-there is some ethnic diversity, and Atlanta is the "black mecca"

GA CONS:
-hot summer which seems to sometimes run from April/May to November, must like heat and humidity (which I like...con for some people)
-traffic; must own car
-job market may be weaker; you would want to try to talk to folks about the IT job market before moving
-most cultural activities require $$
-fewer parks and tax-funded activities
-there are ...., especially in the rest of GA. Some are nice, some are not.

DC PROS:
-cool museums and lots of free cultural activities
-if you like 4 seasons, you will find them here
-good job market
-very diverse
-lots of public transportation
-more cosmopolitan feel (if you like that...)
-better libraries, higher taxes which fund them.

DC CONS:
-traffic is insane
-cold winters (to me) and broiling southern summers (but shorter than GA)
-"southern efficiency and northern hospitality" (not very efficient, not very hospitable)
-people not as friendly, more status oriented
-housing is incredibly expensive; if single you could live in a "group house" to save money
This list of pro and cons seems to line up with my own.

Weather - I don't need four seasons. I won't miss the snow and while I don't care for oppressive heat, I'll take that over bitter cold. Humidity does bother me, but it sounds like both cities have awful humidity. Isn't it worse in DC because of the lower elevation?

Traffic - It seems to be bad in both cites, but I have yet to hear anyone say it's better in DC, while many have said it's worse. If that's true and the choice is between bad and really bad, I'll take bad.

Cost of living - I want to be able to buy my own place in the next few years, not be a perpetual renter or be forced to settle for something really old and tiny.

Allergies - The shorter allergy season of Atlanta is definitely a huge plus. I've had allergy issues my whole life and worry that I'd be miserable in DC.

Local culture - I like that DC is more cosmopolitan, more ethnically diverse, has more museums and more free cultural activities. But I don't like that the people are less friendly and more status oriented. With Atlanta, I like that people are more friendly and laid back, but I also worry that it might be too "southern". Everyone has told me to not wander too far outside of Atlanta. Then again, is rural Virginia any better?

Jobs - There are way more IT jobs in DC than in Atlanta. However, 2/3 of the jobs I see require a security clearance. On top of that, I don't see a big difference in salaries compared to where I am now. Atlanta may not have as many IT jobs, but it's still relatively strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Well, best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do. Personally, I think moving to Nova without a job is a horrible decision. But everyone has to follow his own path, maybe what would be horrible for most would work out ok for you.

Still, since you asked for opinions, of the two I'd choose Atlanta, where your savings will go a little farther.
I agree that moving to DC without a job is a horrible decision, which is why I've ruled it out. At this point, the only way I'd move to DC without a job is if I won the lottery. But then, my biggest reason for targeting DC (jobs) would be kind of moot.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:59 AM

19 posts, read 27,905 times
Joining this discussion late but figured I'd offer my two cents since I'm considering leaving Marietta, GA for NOVA. I am originally from NJ and miss the cooler weather. I am also tired of the NASCAR, college football, religious attitude down here. Agree that people are friendly - at least to your face. Housing MUCH cheaper. I'm actually worried that my house did not appreciate enough so that when I sell I won't be able to afford much in NOVA. I like culture - museums, galleries, etc. and miss the ability to get to DC, NY, Boston relatively easily. Atlanta is kind of devoid of culture - outside of what I mentioned above. The city does have a lot of amenities - all the professional sports (although there aren't too many die hard fans - too many transplants), restaurants, and it's getting more attractions like the aquarium. I'm just tired of living in the "south." Agree with the other posters that Atlanta is not really "Georgia." I assume like NOVA is not really Virginia. Most of my friends have moved from other places (MD, CA, IL) and like it here. They do not like the cold, and do like the cost of living. I think it's more humid here for the most part. Once it reaches 90, we don't get a break like days in the 70's/low 80's. Also the pollen season is awful! Thankfully I don't have allergies but people really suffer down here. Not sure about NOVA/DC's allergy season but our numbers are usually off the charts.

Good luck with your decision. Atlanta/GA is not for me but it is for many others who have moved here.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks Kate. From what I've seen, the pollen count is even worse in DC than in Atlanta. While I'm certainly not expecting the kind of cultural offerings that DC has, it does seem like Atlanta has something beyond Nascar, sports and religion. Besides the aquarium, they have museums, galleries, and great restaurants. Also, do think living in Marietta may have influenced how you perceive the area? No matter where I go, I'm trying to avoid living far from the city cause I think living in the deep suburbs can color the way you look at a city.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 PM

19 posts, read 27,905 times
Marietta is defintely more family oriented. Most singles I know live "ITP" (inside the perimeter) and enjoy being close to the amenities you mentioned. I've been here 11 years. Liked it for a while but am wanting to move back up north for the reasons I stated. As I mentioned though I have a lot of friends who love it here and don't want to go back up north, back west, etc. Also, I work north of Marietta with a lot of people who are from this area and don't like to go too far from home (ie, into the city) so that does color my view a bit!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate4nyy View Post
Marietta is defintely more family oriented. Most singles I know live "ITP" (inside the perimeter) and enjoy being close to the amenities you mentioned. I've been here 11 years. Liked it for a while but am wanting to move back up north for the reasons I stated. As I mentioned though I have a lot of friends who love it here and don't want to go back up north, back west, etc. Also, I work north of Marietta with a lot of people who are from this area and don't like to go too far from home (ie, into the city) so that does color my view a bit!
If I had a family, I'd probably want to live out in Marietta where it's more family-oriented and nearby good schools. But since I don't have kids, I'd much rather live closer to the city. Where I live now, I'm in the faraway suburbs. You get more for your money, things are safe, and pretty peaceful. But it's also incredibly boring. Going to the city feels like it's more trouble than it's worth. By the time you, spend the day there, and come back, you're exhausted. I don't want to repeat that. If I moved to Atlanta, I'd want to live in or very close to the perimeter. Same with DC. But in DC, even outside the Beltway gets pretty expensive.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,333 times
Smile both cities

Hi I have lived in both cities and believe the cost of living can get a little overwhelming in dc. There are diffently more jobs in DC than Atlanta. I went and visited Atl recently and the job market is very scarce. If moving to DC the process can be long getting cleared so it would be good to start sooner than later. If you want to live in Reston it would not be as much to live there compared to in dc or directly outside city. I'm 32 and its give or take on the social aspect it just depends what you are into. I appreciate both cities but for me the only reason to be south is because cheaper to live but the economic status is way worse than dc and no telling when it is going to get better. Sometimes people say metro Dc area people are stuck up but that is blown out of proportion, actually people say that about any city considered north. People are working there and educated so go about there life but if is not that bad. Atlanta is more friendly say hi to you on the street. I suggest you find a job first because that could help make your mind up. Hope this helped and did not confuse you more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia