U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,652,175 times

Advertisements

When I started this thread 3 years ago, I knew there was a chance I'd end up regretting my final decision about where to move. I chose Atlanta. And while regret is too strong of a word, I find myself wondering if I made a mistake. There were no big surprises. Atlanta turned out to be what everyone said. Nice weather, low cost of living, friendly people. But also bad traffic, hot summers, and not much culture. I've been renting for 2 years. With the housing market bottoming out and interest rates at record lows, I know that now is a great time to buy and if I wait too long, I could miss out on some great deals. But I also know that buying a place would mean committing to Atlanta for at least 3 years. Sure I could always rent it out, but I don't want to deal with all the hassle that comes from owning rental property. So now I have to make a decision. Do I stay in Atlanta or move to DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 PM

7,964 posts, read 9,715,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
When I started this thread 3 years ago, I knew there was a chance I'd end up regretting my final decision about where to move. I chose Atlanta. And while regret is too strong of a word, I find myself wondering if I made a mistake. There were no big surprises. Atlanta turned out to be what everyone said. Nice weather, low cost of living, friendly people. But also bad traffic, hot summers, and not much culture. I've been renting for 2 years. With the housing market bottoming out and interest rates at record lows, I know that now is a great time to buy and if I wait too long, I could miss out on some great deals. But I also know that buying a place would mean committing to Atlanta for at least 3 years. Sure I could always rent it out, but I don't want to deal with all the hassle that comes from owning rental property. So now I have to make a decision. Do I stay in Atlanta or move to DC?
I'm not going to read pages and pages of info on this thread, so I don't know the exact information presented about DC. That being said, if you found the information about Atlanta to be accurate, I can assure you the information about the DC area was also accurate. Three years ago, you weighed the options, and chose Atlanta. Has something about you, or your priorities, changed? Because the cities certainly haven't....

Last edited by spencgr; 05-20-2013 at 07:19 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 07:17 PM

447 posts, read 1,004,287 times
You probably don't want my answer! I ask my husband every week if we can move back to Atlanta! Been here 4 years and ready to leave...Atlanta or some point south. For various reasons. Only you can make this decision.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 PM

857 posts, read 1,003,745 times
So what is it that you don't like about Atlanta? DC has hot summers and bad traffic too. DC has culture, I guess, but culture to some is relative. The Atlanta music scene, Southern people, etc is all culture too. Do you consider restaurants, museums, night life, and people from various ethnic or regional backgrounds culture? If so, Atlanta has all of those but maybe not to the degree they exist here. One thing that you can't get here is a low cost of living. You have ask yourself if that is worth sacrificing for 'culture'.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,479,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
So what is it that you don't like about Atlanta? DC has hot summers and bad traffic too. DC has culture, I guess, but culture to some is relative. The Atlanta music scene, Southern people, etc is all culture too. Do you consider restaurants, museums, night life, and people from various ethnic or regional backgrounds culture? If so, Atlanta has all of those but maybe not to the degree they exist here. One thing that you can't get here is a low cost of living. You have ask yourself if that is worth sacrificing for 'culture'.
If you want Southern culture, you'll have to drive further out to get that. The city of Atlanta isn't exactly Southern.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,835,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
If you want Southern culture, you'll have to drive further out to get that. The city of Atlanta isn't exactly Southern.
Well, in all fairness, southern culture is closer to Atlanta than here. We have to drive something like two hours maybe? I think in Atlanta, it is more like 10 minutes. I would disagree that the city itself is not southern. Have you noticed all of the restaurants/neighborhoods, etc.? I would say that the majority of the Atlanta area is southern including the city itself.

I think that it is normal to have doubts about where you move after you do just that. But, I think the traffic is worse in DC, the people aren't as friendly in DC and surrounding metro areas, and it is harder to save money when you live in DC. You have to find the right time to move anywhere. I wasn't thrilled with the DC area when we first moved here, and often wish that we didn't move out here. I may come to that conclusion more when I am stuck in horrendous traffic or dealing with aggressive/crazy drivers.

In the end, I have learned that you make your own experience in each city. If you don't explore and try to enjoy things, you are never going to be happy. I sincerely believe that there is no such thing as the perfect city. But, if money is an important part of the decision, Atlanta is always going to win that argument.

I hope you find a way to enjoy Atlanta until you are ready to move again.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:46 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Well had you moved to DC, you'd probably be asking yourself the same thing, especially considering the higher cost of living. And while culture can be relative as someone else said and I give DC the edge in that department being our nation's capital and all, Atlanta offers a good bit in that department but you just may have to do a little more digging. But you're not really going to find much of it in Dunwoody, that's for sure.

Personally, I think if your job situation is stable and offers opportunities for advancement--which is a really good place to be in in Atlanta right now, considering we're still trying to fully recover from the recession--seriously considering staying put in Atlanta for a few more years. But just to test the waters, I might apply for a few positions in DC just to see what the outcome might be, and then go from there. If possible, it would also probably help if you could live in one of the in-town neighborhoods.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,652,175 times
Someone earlier asked what's changed that would prompt me to reconsider my decision. What's changed is that after nearly 3 years, I'm still not happy here. That's not to say I'm miserable, but I do worry that I'll never feel at home. The job market here is strong, at least in my field. I also know that it would be strong in DC as well. The only downside is that the salaries in DC don't make up for the cost of living increase. As for the cost of living, there's no question that DC is expensive. But I have two advantages. One, I work in IT which tends to pay pretty well. Two, I recently downsized so I only require a 1 bedroom place, though eventually I'd like to be able to buy a 2 bedroom condo or townhouse.

Culturally, Atlanta doesn't really suit me. It's a big sports town. Problem is I don't like sports. My idea of culture is museums, galleries, etc., which are severely lacking in Atlanta. The dating scene is lacking too. People here say that the women outnumber the men. That may be true, but I rarely meet a woman I'd want to date. A nonreligious progressive who doesn't want children doesn't exactly have a lot of options in Atlanta whereas DC probably has more women who fit that description.

Another issue for me is family. I have no family in Atlanta, but I have several cousins in Virginia.

I can deal with unfriendly people, snow, and traffic. DC was always my first choice. Had it not been for the cost of living, I would've moved there in a heartbeat. But since I'm now at a point where I have to plant roots, I'm reluctant to do so. Sure, I could move to DC and decide I hate it. But I know if I stay here, I'll never be truly happy.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 AM

7,964 posts, read 9,715,705 times
Quote:
Someone earlier asked what's changed that would prompt me to reconsider my decision. What's changed is that after nearly 3 years, I'm still not happy here. That's not to say I'm miserable, but I do worry that I'll never feel at home. The job market here is strong, at least in my field. I also know that it would be strong in DC as well. The only downside is that the salaries in DC don't make up for the cost of living increase. As for the cost of living, there's no question that DC is expensive. But I have two advantages. One, I work in IT which tends to pay pretty well. Two, I recently downsized so I only require a 1 bedroom place, though eventually I'd like to be able to buy a 2 bedroom condo or townhouse.

Culturally, Atlanta doesn't really suit me. It's a big sports town. Problem is I don't like sports. My idea of culture is museums, galleries, etc., which are severely lacking in Atlanta. The dating scene is lacking too. People here say that the women outnumber the men. That may be true, but I rarely meet a woman I'd want to date. A nonreligious progressive who doesn't want children doesn't exactly have a lot of options in Atlanta whereas DC probably has more women who fit that description.

Another issue for me is family. I have no family in Atlanta, but I have several cousins in Virginia.

I can deal with unfriendly people, snow, and traffic. DC was always my first choice. Had it not been for the cost of living, I would've moved there in a heartbeat. But since I'm now at a point where I have to plant roots, I'm reluctant to do so. Sure, I could move to DC and decide I hate it. But I know if I stay here, I'll never be truly happy.
Sounds like your mind is made up. Go for it. Are you looking for us to give you reasons not to do it? If so, you already know the reasons we will provide. If you are ok with that, welcome to the area!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,435,388 times
Just a few thoughts to offer that may or may not apply to your situation. In my experience of living many different places, the most recent of which is NoVA, I have met many people who think the one thing that will finally allow them to live the life they've always wanted is to change their surroundings by moving someplace else. Really, I've felt that several times in my own life. In my experience, both for myself and for the others I have personally known to feel this way, their life and its level of happiness tends to change very little after they have moved. They are merely the same person, but in a different place, and any difficulties they had before, they still face in their new location. That's not to say there are not people for whom a change of surroundings provides the catalyst to finally make them happy, but I have found that to be the exception, not the rule.

Based on what you've said, it does indeed sound like DC is a better fit for you as a person. But, you could move here and feel the same way about your life as you do now. Of course, if you don't move, you'll probably always be thinking "what if", so you may want to just go for it too. Just some of my own thoughts and experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia