U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:10 AM

918 posts, read 1,038,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's my entire problem, but it's certainly a big part. I've spent the last 2 years in the suburbs of Atlanta. Not far from the city where it's nothing but families, strip malls, and chain restaurants. But still suburbia. The past few months, I started looking for a place to buy, but not in the suburbs. Instead, I looked in the city in areas like Midtown, Decatur, Brookhaven, Virginia Highlands, North Druid Hills, etc. But the more I searched, the more I realized that moving in town wasn't going to change my fundamental problem. I just don't want to settle in Atlanta and living in the city isn't going to change that. Plus in Atlanta, the IT job market is actually stronger in the northern suburbs. Most of the jobs I see are out in Alpharetta, Cumberland, or Norcross. Living in Midtown might put me near people like me, but it could limit my job prospects. So if I stay in Atlanta, I may have no choice but stay in an area like Dunwoody.

Certainly if I were to move to DC, I'd want to live inside the Beltway, which is more expensive than a place like Reston. And like you said, I could always move back to Atlanta. But frankly, I think if I moved to DC I would just stay. I'm almost 40 and I'm tired of moving. Right now, it's easy because I don't own a lot of stuff and it's just me and the dog. I'd probably rent for year, get acquainted with the area, and then try to buy a place. Arlington would make more sense than DC since so many IT jobs are in VA.
I'm actually in IT too so I share your concerns about job prospects etc.

The commute from midtown/buckhead to alpharretta/dunwoody is not too bad. 30-40minutes since its a reverse commute. Dunwoody around the perimiter near the mall will eventually get nicer as there are alot of planned development in the area along with trying to make it more pedestrian friendly.

You already answer you own question. It seems that you did not even really wanted to move to ATL but did because of the COL issue. Now that you have experienced it, you realize why it is cheap IMO You should move to DC area and see if you like it. You may hate it and realize that Atlanta is not too bad. But most importantly, you would have full fill that "need" of knowing if DC a better place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:36 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,642,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
It seems that you did not even really wanted to move to ATL but did because of the COL issue. Now that you have experienced it, you realize why it is cheap IMO You should move to DC area and see if you like it. You may hate it and realize that Atlanta is not too bad. But most importantly, you would have full fill that "need" of knowing if DC a better place for you.
You're right. I didn't want to move here, but did so by default. It's no secret that the most expensive cities are also the ones people want to live in. NY, Boston, LA, DC, etc. And even harsh winters like what they have in Boston aren't a deterrent. Likewise, cities that are cheap are cheap for a reason. After all, who wants to live in Omaha? Atlanta is better than Omaha, but it's no DC. So I guess now I have to put together a plan for moving yet again.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:04 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,769,243 times
Southern culture, is wholly subjective imo. It really depends if you are in a certain town, with a certain vibe to it. IMO the southern hospitality thing is a media myth. There are nice people everywhere, there are also other types.

I never liked Atlanta, and being from NY, DC area was fine. I just notice many generalizations about "the south" that seem to come from some travel magazine or other that have nothing to do with reality.

Hope it works out for you if you move again. Parts of the south are very insular, and if you have no connection there other than career, it can be quite alienating. JMO.

Wherever you go, there you are, as they say.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,642,920 times
I wouldn't say the southern hospitality thing is a myth, but perhaps it's too broad of a generalization. No matter where you live, you're going to find people who are friendly and people who are unfriendly. Part of it, I suppose, has to do with upbringing. If you were raised to be a warm and friendly person, then you might be that way no matter where you live. With Atlanta, most of the people aren't from here. So if they're friendly, maybe they were that way to begin with. Or maybe they're just friendlier now that they got away from whatever super expensive, super cold city they left. When I was in Chicago, I noticed that people were pretty crabby. But I guess if I had to sit on the train for an hour, then sit in traffic just to get home to my 1-bedroom box that I'm paying half my salary for and pay ridiculous property taxes for, I might not be in the best of moods either. Ultimately, I'm not looking for DC to welcome me with open arms and for everyone to come up and start a conversation.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 217 times
So now that it’s 2018 did u ever move to dc? Where? What do u think? How does it compare and did u make the right decision? Did u ever buy or rent? What do u think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia