U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 11:54 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,646,023 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide whether to move to DC or Atlanta. If I moved to DC, I would most likely end up living in NOVA, probably in the Reston area. If I moved to Atlanta, I'd be in the Dunwoody area. I've been weighing the pros and cons of each city and need help deciding.

DC:

Pros:
- Lots of IT jobs
- Lots of culture
- Close to family
- Nice summers, except for the humidity
- More cultured and educated population

Cons:
- HIGH cost of living
- Horrible traffic
- Unfriendly people
- Most IT jobs require security clearance
- Competitive atmosphere
- Humid summers and occasional snow (this past winter was abnormal)

Atlanta:

Pros:
- Low cost of living
- Southern hospitality
- Lots of big employers

Cons:
- Not as many IT jobs as DC
- Horrible traffic
- Brutally hot, humid summers
- More rain
- Farther from family
- Surrounded by Georgia

So if you were a single 30something Type B person who doesn't have kids, works in IT, and would prefer to be close to family, which would you recommend? I'm having a really hard time because even though DC seems like it would be better for my career, the cost of living there TERRIFIES me and I'm not sure my salary would make up for it.

Here's the other wrinkle. My job will be ending soon. While it would be ideal to have a job lined up before moving, I doubt I'll be able to land one in time. Since I'll have to look for a new job no matter where I go or I stay in my current location, I figure I might as well move to the city I want to live in. That way, I can at least have a local address to put on my resume.

Last edited by DennyCrane; 04-08-2010 at 12:33 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,905,338 times
Hi Denny! I'm glad you're still thinking of us. Sorry, I don't know much about Atlanta so I can't help you make a comparison. Just thought I'd say hello, because I enjoy seeing you again on this forum.

BTW, for what it's worth I've always thought the people here are very friendly. Maybe it just depends on which neighborhood you choose.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hi Denny! I'm glad you're still thinking of us. Sorry, I don't know much about Atlanta so I can't help you make a comparison. Just thought I'd say hello, because I enjoy seeing you again on this forum.

BTW, for what it's worth I've always thought the people here are very friendly. Maybe it just depends on which neighborhood you choose.
Thanks. Are people friendlier in Maryland? Honestly, if it weren't for the cost of living, I probably wouldn't be even considering Atlanta. But no matter how much you pad, things always end up being more expensive than you think. I just don't want to move to DC and find myself drowning and unable to set aside any savings.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 PM

2,711 posts, read 6,263,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
So if you were a single 30something Type B person who doesn't have kids, works in IT, and would prefer to be close to family, which would you recommend? I'm having a really hard time because even though DC seems like it would be better for my career, the cost of living there TERRIFIES me and I'm not sure my salary would make up for it.
That bold statement fits me to the "T". I'm turning 30 this year and have decided the NOVA area is where I'm setting my roots. My family is in this area too, and I'd miss them terribly if I moved away. I've been doing IT work since 1999 and never had an issue finding work in this area. Yes the cost of living is high, but the opportunities for advancement I feel outweigh it. Get a roommate is the best advice if you want to save housing costs.

I figure if you can make it in the DC Metro area, anywhere else you move to will be easier in comparison

Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Thanks. Are people friendlier in Maryland? Honestly, if it weren't for the cost of living, I probably wouldn't be even considering Atlanta. But no matter how much you pad, things always end up being more expensive than you think. I just don't want to move to DC and find myself drowning and unable to set aside any savings.
Well, you've got a good point there. I've heard Atlanta is much less expensive. As far as MD goes, in many ways it's about the same as VA. Personally, the people I've met there seem to be a little more aggressive, and a little more likely to give you the cold shoulder. They seem angrier. Or maybe it's just that they're minding their own business and less likely to say hello. The thing is, I don't want to condemn the whole population based on a handful of people I've met. That may just have been my experience.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,579,167 times
I really can't tell a difference between Maryland and Virginia (at least the fairly affluent suburbs around DC). I know people claim the states are light years apart, but I see far more similarities than differences. If you'd be happy on the VA side of the MD/VA border, you'll be happy on the MD side too. And if you don't like VA, then I doubt MD's going to feel different enough to sway you.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I really can't tell a difference between Maryland and Virginia (at least the fairly affluent suburbs around DC). I know people claim the states are light years apart, but I see far more similarities than differences. If you'd be happy on the VA side of the MD/VA border, you'll be happy on the MD side too. And if you don't like VA, then I doubt MD's going to feel different enough to sway you.
Yes, I agree.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,538,225 times
I lived in Atlanta for 20 years (1982-2002) before moving to NOVA (Reston). Though I like it here I really liked Atlanta too. The cost of living difference is substantial! The "brutally hot, humid summers" in Atlanta far surpass any weather issues that DC may have. DC traffic is MUCH worse than anything that Atlanta can dish up.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
That bold statement fits me to the "T". I'm turning 30 this year and have decided the NOVA area is where I'm setting my roots. My family is in this area too, and I'd miss them terribly if I moved away. I've been doing IT work since 1999 and never had an issue finding work in this area. Yes the cost of living is high, but the opportunities for advancement I feel outweigh it. Get a roommate is the best advice if you want to save housing costs.
The abundance of IT jobs is what's making this so hard. In this job market, you have to go where the jobs are. But I also have to think about the long-term. I'm not a big spender nor do I need a big house with a fancy car to be happy. But at the same time, I don't want to spend the rest of my days living in an apartment and barely being able to set aside any extra money for a house, retirement or an emergency. I was looking at comparable apartments and townhomes in NOVA and Atlanta. Rent would be double and buying would be at least that, if not more. Housing costs are plummeting in every other city except DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I lived in Atlanta for 20 years (1982-2002) before moving to NOVA (Reston). Though I like it here I really liked Atlanta too. The cost of living difference is substantial! The "brutally hot, humid summers" in Atlanta far surpass any weather issues that DC may have. DC traffic is MUCH worse than anything that Atlanta can dish up.
When you say surpass, do you mean that in a bad way as in, the summers are terrible in Atlanta? Also, I was hoping you'd say traffic was equally bad. I was in Atlanta in 2006 and saw how bad the traffic was. IT WAS BAD!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM

2,711 posts, read 6,263,219 times
My brother and I bought a house together in 2003. We split the mortgage and utility payments down the middle and each pay $1200 a month. The $2400 monthly covers everything and leaves extra in the "house fund" every month for future repairs or upgrades. That arrangement allowed me to put money away into a 401k, pay off a car note and save for an investment property.

I think housing in this area is the biggest expense, but it can be mitigated by getting a roommate. The other factors can't be as easily changed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia