U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 AM

858 posts, read 1,433,723 times

Advertisements

My mailman is passive-aggressive. If you park too close to the mailbox, he'll stick your mail barely in the box and leave the door open to teach you a lesson. It's wonderful on rainy and windy days... Lesson to me-don't park too close to the mailbox...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 01:06 PM

2,017 posts, read 2,970,358 times
Every house on the cul-de-sac has a two-car-width driveway. Why aren't people parking in their own driveways?

Old 04-09-2010, 01:08 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,706,075 times
Heck, why aren't they parking in their garages? And who is the crazy person parked perpendicular to the curb?

Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 PM

421 posts, read 416,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Wow, I'm shocked. I had really thought that they didn't have to delivery if the mailbox was blocked by cars, snow, etc...
Is not delivering mail under contempt of federal law? Regardless of where the mail box is positioned it is their duty to deliver it.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:19 PM

5,754 posts, read 5,892,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Every house on the cul-de-sac has a two-car-width driveway. Why aren't people parking in their own driveways?
Admittedly, our HOA is not overly strict; however, we do have a clause that states that they prefer no on-street parking when a garage and driveway is available. They can't enforce that but most of the neighbors comply.

I am actually one of those who parks my two cars in my garage (that's why I got a garage afterall) and do not fill it up with the crap I've been hauling around for 20 years. We then park our third car at the very bottom of the driveway, off to one side. Most of my neighbors do the same with the exception of those with lots of cars.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:24 PM

240 posts, read 526,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
Is not delivering mail under contempt of federal law? Regardless of where the mail box is positioned it is their duty to deliver it.
Where I live now, they have to deliver it, as long as you have a "usps approved mail box". When ours blew over in a storm and was laying on the side walk, they wouldn't deliver the mail or bring it up to the house. I took the box off the pole, and set it on a over turned Home Depot bucket, and placed it at the curb. Sure enough, I got my mail. I'm not sure I made any friends with the neighbors though.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:17 PM

5,959 posts, read 6,325,430 times
I live in a 1950's home and my mailbox is at my front door. Everyday my mailman has to walk around our whole neighborhood delivering mail. He is as nice as can be, as was his predecessor. He even tells me to leave my eBay boxes at my door. He said, "I'm going to the post office anyway. Why should you go, too?"

Having said that, it sounds like your neighbor wants his own private parking spot on public land and is using your mailman as an excuse. Go borrow a big stinkin' RV or boat and park it there. :-)

Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,112,458 times
Just wanted to mention, if someone gets real picky, you can get ticketed for parking too close to a mailbox. It doesn't happen often but if you have an irrational neighbor they can call the police and have them come and ticket cars. I've seen it happen in another community where someone who lived on the cul-de-sac behind the community pool didn't like the cars parking there for swim meets, so every time there was one, or anything happening at their clubhouse that overflowed the parking lot, they would call the police and have cars ticketed. Yep, DH was one who got it years ago there. It got to the point the local people one year stood out with a sign warning the visiting team's parents of it. Not fun at all.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,312,496 times
my Dad worked for the post office and unless it was dangerous for them they had to deliver the mail, a car parked in front of the mailbox does not consitute danger. Our mailman are very spoiled, there was a time when they had to walk their route, they best be careful since the post office is so deep in debt they are considering stopping Saturday deliveries next year. The mailman may be back to walking their routes again instead of wasting gas.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:23 AM

26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Heck, why aren't they parking in their garages? And who is the crazy person parked perpendicular to the curb?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I was thinking the same thing. If you bought a house with a two-car garage, then why not take advantage of it? If you bought a house with a driveway, then why not park in it? Is it just laziness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia