U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 AM

5,800 posts, read 5,869,959 times
I grew up near Philadelphia very close to US 1 and we called it "Route 1" as well.

I try to return my carts and park my car close to the corral when possible. But sometimes it's on the opposite side of the lane and my 3 kids are in the car so I position it as best as possible so it doesn't roll into another's car. I try to be a good citizen and do the right thing but I'm not going to risk leaving my kids alone in the car to return the cart if it's not feasible.

TGBWC, my husband calls shopping carts "buggies" too. He's from Massachusetts/New Hampshire but went to college and lived in North Carolina for many years - not sure what region that is from. It used to bug me, too but it's rubbed off on me a bit. I said it to my mom the other day, and she said, "What's a buggy?"

Old 04-10-2010, 11:44 AM

5,188 posts, read 6,478,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I grew up near Philadelphia very close to US 1 and we called it "Route 1" as well.

I try to return my carts and park my car close to the corral when possible. But sometimes it's on the opposite side of the lane and my 3 kids are in the car so I position it as best as possible so it doesn't roll into another's car. I try to be a good citizen and do the right thing but I'm not going to risk leaving my kids alone in the car to return the cart if it's not feasible.

TGBWC, my husband calls shopping carts "buggies" too. He's from Massachusetts/New Hampshire but went to college and lived in North Carolina for many years - not sure what region that is from. It used to bug me, too but it's rubbed off on me a bit. I said it to my mom the other day, and she said, "What's a buggy?"
Then "buggy" it is!!!!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:56 AM

15,400 posts, read 17,512,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMomatHome View Post
I like 'country' roads, too. I love the rolling hills I drive past on the back roads in Stafford. I said county rd.
Ooops, sorry 'bout that. As Homer Simpson would say, D'uh! Guess I'm too distracted by how pretty it is outside. I've been out all morning and I may just head out again in a few minutes.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:05 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,311,976 times
I always always put them back. And like many others here, I'll go find the abandoned carts and take them back to the store when I'm headed in--why not? Besides, if no one returns their carts, the stores will have to hire more cart collectors (and buy replacement carts when they get stolen or dinged up), and the cost of groceries will rise...

The worst is when the parking lot is crowded and I think I've found a spot, only to pull in half way and realize there's a cart on the curb blocking the front of the spot. UGH.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,919,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMomatHome View Post
I've been in every state that US 1 goes through and this is the first area I've heard it referred to as "route 1".
(they do call it uselss 1 in south FL, but that is another story.)
They call it Post Road back where I'm from.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:04 AM

382 posts, read 676,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc
Really? I sit corrected then. I've only heard it in VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
US 1 usually has a local street name such as Jeff. Davis Hwy in Fburg, but when referring to it as a Hwy with a # US 1 just makes more sense to me.

I feel bad that it seems like I've hijacked this thread, but the OP did invite others to share pet peeves in the OP

Old 04-11-2010, 11:04 AM

980 posts, read 2,007,257 times
OMG!!! I don't know what irks me more...shopping carts NOT returned to the "cart corral" or people who pick up refrigerated food items in the grocery store, change their minds and then leave it where ever they happen to be standing. If you don't want that frozen turkey...PUT IT BACK IN THE TURKEY FREEZER!! Do you know how many people would kill to have access to that turkey that you pretty much trashed? Sheesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
Do you return your carts to the designated return areas, or do you leave it as close to your car as you can? It seems like the biggest violators are in Costco lots, where carts are on the grass areas, in plant beds, front wheels on curbs, and generally scattered everywhere. My question for those who don't take the time to take carts to designated areas (even there, they are often not placed very orderly), why? How hard is it to push the cart a few feet? Let's hear if your excuses are on par with the reckless drivers who occasionally post here. Sorry, but this is one of the admittedly little things in life that I just don't understand. I'm trying to figure out what about our society this reflects. Any ideas? Add your own pet peeves to this string if you'd like.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 AM

980 posts, read 2,007,257 times
LOL@ buggies. A buggy is what the Amish ride around in as far as I'm concerned. I don't like pop or supper either...it's soda and dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post

Old 04-11-2010, 11:14 AM

3,949 posts, read 6,295,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post

Connecticut?

During my college years in New Haven CT....I often heard it called the Boston Post Road.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:44 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,117,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We always either return our cart to one of the return areas or take it back up to the store. I've noticed a lot of carts in the Safeway lot in Kingstowne. The Safeway is pretty new, but for some reason there are no return areas in that lot.?.?

P.S. I have converted to calling them "carts". I grew up saying "buggy", but it drove my wife crazy and I have been converted.
Is that not nuts? It is a wonderful, huge store yet no return areas except right by the front doors of the store. That was my favorite place to buy groceries when we were in the area.

As far as what I do with the carts, I always park next to a return area so that I can just put them in there. Even if it means I have to walk further, I figure I can use the exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia