U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 17,386 times
Default Where to buy kitchen cabinets?

We are moving to a new place and need to remodel our kitchen. Since it basically has nothing in it we have to install kitchen cabinets. Can someone recommend a place in Northern VA or DC to buy cabinets on a budget? We thought of buying Home Depot's Distinctions cabinets or IKEA, but not sure if they are good options. Does anyone have recommendations on this? Or is there an outlet in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM

2,528 posts, read 5,030,515 times
Home Depot

Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 PM

9,337 posts, read 15,363,054 times
The Distinctions line is made by Masco Cabinetry, which also makes KraftMaid and Merillat (some made in Culpeper). Lowe's has in-stock standard cabinets, too, but they're a little more limited in selection.

If you don't mind going to Baltimore, you might check into a place called Closeout Cabinets, which sells ready-to-assemble cabinets, though I believe the cabinets are imported. The company is mainly in PA and NJ, and unfortunately I do not know anyone who has used them. Their cabinets look nice, but I don't know about durability.

Fine Homebuilding did a series of articles on kitchens on a budget, and one area of savings was in the flat pack cabinets, some of which can be ordered online.

Here are some links to their articles, and suppliers:

Fine Homebuilding - Thrifty Solutions for an Outdated Kitchen

Fine Homebuilding - Mix and Match Mail Order Cabinets

Fine Homebuilding - Kitchen Cabinet Component Sources

I want to say that Fine Homebuilding also did a test of Ikea cabinets, and found them to be good for the price.

Fine Homebuilding - Buying and Installing Cabinets from Ikea

I recall reading somewhere, thought it was FH, but it wasn't, that the best way to use the Ikea cabinets was to mix in regular (non-Ikea) appliances, and to get hardware not sold by Ikea. I am not sure what they offer in couters, but that might be another point of departure, provided you could find a good counter elsewhere for the price.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-10-2010 at 11:43 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,011,436 times
OP, put your question over to the "House" Forum. There is an extremely knowledgeable cabinetmaker who can give the low-down on how to purchase/install cabinets (no, he does not sell them and has clientele and photos of his work). His work is fantastic. Better yet, do a Search and see the many threads that already exist on this topic. His name is desertsun.

He will steer you away from the big box stores. also, he dislikes white cabinets so don't let that bother you if you really want white cabinets. I plan to renovate my kitchen in the next year or two and will definitely contact him with my questions. Good luck on your project!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM

23 posts, read 42,638 times
Rebuild Warehouse in Springfield. They have a huge variety of recycled materials for home renovations. A lot of builders or contractors donate materials that either they ordered too many of, or have no use for. They really have some beautiful stuff, and it is all very well priced. Holiday Hours Wed

Old 04-14-2010, 09:27 PM

171 posts, read 337,653 times
You might also want to check out the Habitat for Humanity shops. They accept donations from builders and such and sell at a great discount. It's kind of hit-or-miss as far as what you'll find, but they're always getting new stuff in. There's one in Manassas, and at least one other in NoVa (though I can't remember exactly where).

Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominbristow View Post
You might also want to check out the Habitat for Humanity shops. They accept donations from builders and such and sell at a great discount. It's kind of hit-or-miss as far as what you'll find, but they're always getting new stuff in. There's one in Manassas, and at least one other in NoVa (though I can't remember exactly where).

We just moved into the area and used Renotec Design in Manassas. They're a mom and pop place and do an incredible job at very reasonable rate -- especially considering how many compliments my wife gets on her "taste".

Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 PM

628 posts, read 1,092,353 times
In the last year I redid my kitchen and used Ikea cabinets to save money for upgraded appliances and granite counters. They were about 1/3 the cost of average cabinets from the home improvement box stores. The cabinet boxes admittedly are not on par with factory cabinets, but the doors and hardware are excellent. However, you need to be quite handy to calculate layout and assemble and mount them. If you need to pay someone to do the latter, your savings are wasted. We in NoVa have the advantage of a nearby Ikea in Woodbridge. I can't tell you how many trips I made there during my project for materials and consultation with associates!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:31 PM

384 posts, read 539,884 times
Costco. The pricing is pretty good. I am considering using them for upcoming renovations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia