U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 20,690 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I hope I can include enough detail to get some great advice! I am thinking of relocating to Northern VA, here' s the thing my husband would be transferring to the Scott's Lawn Service- where ever that is! I have only read that it is in Northern VA- their site goes to the 800# and doesn't give much detail on locations besides their headquarters in Ohio. I can't figure it out & he keeps forgetting to ask at work where in VA it is. So, that would help if anyone knows where it is, we would want to relocate somewhere close to his work. I would be looking for a teaching position somewhere close to that as well. We have a family, so we are looking for the suburbs or rural area. We would be able to afford a house in the $175-200 range. we would like to live in a good school district. Basically the key is where in VA Scotts is located. Any thoughts on where to apply for me would be nice. I am certified in grades preK-3. We would just be looking for a nice, safe, regular neighborhood or area to move to. (I am sure it's safer than Cincinnati!) We would of course go check it out & things before moving, but help now would be wonderful! My parents would be moving as well. They would be able to afford more of a house than us, $200-250 range. The biggest thing is where is Scotts & what is around that location. My husband drives an hour now & would like a shorter communte. I hope I answered most of the questions to help u help me! Thanks for any ideas, links or thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 04:07 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,344,802 times
I googled "Scott's Lawn Service Virginia" to see what would pop up and it appears as if it is located right by Dulles Airport. This is right over the Loudoun County border around 30 miles west of DC (the nearest towns being Chantilly, Sterling, South Riding, Herndon and Ashburn). Loudoun County has terrific schools, and as one of the nation's fastest-growing school districts, cannot fill teaching positions fast enough. I believe the salary is in the low 40s. There are also plenty of nice communities and the county is almost entirely squeaky clean and safe (there's a handful of iffy parts of Sterling and Leesburg). Now for the bad news....

Unfortunately, this area is very expensive. The rough prices of homes within around a 30 minute commute to Scott's are as follows:

Two bedroom, two bathroom condo - 250K-350K
Three bedroom, 2.5 bathroom townhouse - 350K-450K
Three or four bedroom single family home - 400K and up

I know it's severe sticker shock coming from a place like Cincinnati. Keep in mind that the salaries here are also significantly higher. Perhaps it would be doable to rent at first to save up some cash before buying? The further west you look from Dulles Airport, the cheaper it gets. I can say with near 100% certainty unfortunately that there are no single family homes under 200K within an hour's commute of Dulles. If so, they are likely very old homes, shacks almost, at the extreme end of that commute, in the rural-ish western portion of Loudoun County or even further. There MAY be a few condos at around 200K if you go a bit beyond Leesburg but I'm uncertain, and there's fairly few condos out that way I'd imagine either way but theoretically, condos out there may start to become more affordable.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:15 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,043,542 times
If you and your parents could pool resources and buy a house together, that would be great. Otherwise, it will be extremely hard to work with your price requirements. Dullnboring is absolutely right about the cost of housing in northern Virginia. You would be lucky to find a 1BR condo in your price range, and anything close to that price would probably not be very nice, and would not be located near good schools.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 20,690 times
Thank you both for your help! Now I have a place to start with a job search & housing. You are both right I will have to rent for sure until we could get more $, but if the salaries are that much higher, then I'm sure we could get something after a year or so. The salaries here in Cinti start at LOW 30's sometimes high 20's. Not much for a teacher! Thanks so muchf ro your help! I have a place to start!!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:33 AM

23 posts, read 107,714 times
Hi WhoDeyFan,
Let me know if you need help with a rental or purchase. I'd be happy to search for you in your price ranges. If your parents are going to be with you, you will probably need a good size home. That means your husband might still have that hour commute, or even longer with traffic. Our traffic is pretty bad unless he is going to work unusual hours. All the surrounding counties always need teachers so you shouldn't have a problem securing a job. Feel free to contact me privately and I'll give you my info. Take care and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia