U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 PM

10 posts, read 19,683 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking for a bit on this forum, but this is my first post. I've seen a lot of "Moving to _______, job in _______, how long is my commute, etc." What I'm looking for is info on the job market there. Are people still being hired? More specifically in IT jobs, such as Active Directory, network support, etc? I know that is a broad question. I'm a member of Security Clearance Jobs - ClearanceJobs.com, and have seen lots of results with the Job Agent I setup. However I know companies sometimes post a job because they have to legally (if they already have a candidate) before they fill it, and sometimes post jobs before they're available in order to build a talent pool of potential candidates. The company I work for does both of these things. They're based in Reston, so ideally I'd be able to transition in to a position somewhere in the area.

My background is that I'm single male, 26, currently in Update New York. I'm kind of bored with what I'm doing. Looking to expand my career. I know cost of living down there is really high, so I'd likely look on craigslist and end up with a few roommates. Edit: I forgot to mention, I'd like to keep my car. I did an internship in Brooklyn where this wasn't practical, but I suspect most of you have cars, it is just people that live in DC proper, or walking distance to Metro that don't?

I know this is a very broad and vague post, I'm just looking for info from people who are there. Has anyone else done this? I feel that I may have a bit of an "in" because my employer is based in Reston. If nothing opens up with them though, has anyone done what I'm asking? As a rule it always is easier to get a job somewhere you are, vs. trying to move and land a new job. With that in mind, with the cost of living I don't think I would move without a job. Any thoughts from someone else who's done this? Thanks!

Last edited by fmr djvento; 04-17-2010 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Forgot a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 01:24 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
There are lots of jobs here, comparatively speaking, but there are also many people applying for the same job. Just be careful and find a job before moving here.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:42 PM

309 posts, read 737,435 times
In my experience, unless you have a unique skill set, preference will always be given to someone that lives here currently. Too many unknown variables for employers to take a risk on someone that isn't local.

Unless you live in the district, it can be challenging to get around here without a car. We are BIG car lovers here in NoVA. Even if you live near a metro, its not necessarily convenient to the grocery store, etc.

I would pursue trying to relocate thru your current employer, and look for that ideal job once established here. And if you really don't like the area, you could try and transfer back or potentially somewhere else.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:54 PM

404 posts, read 948,766 times
No jobs here... I promise.. please move along (and forward me any openings you've found so I may "investigate" their legitimacy) .

Old 04-18-2010, 05:34 AM

10 posts, read 19,683 times
Thanks to the first two replies. It is about what I expected, don't move without a job. I assume the third is sarcasm.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:45 AM

461 posts, read 795,860 times
Agree with the other posts. It's been pretty much established that you have to know someone on the inside in order to have a chance at a job. That's not enough. Knowing someone who can put in a good word for you is just something that will get you an interview. Definitely a bad environment for someone new to the area.

You can verify the futility of sending in applications from where you are. If you get an interview with a private company, then it's legit. As you seem to know, you actually can get interviews for government jobs, but they are bogus. There are requirements to interview a certain number of people. Many government bosses decide who they want to hire as soon as the job is open. The interview process is just a waste of everyone's time.

If you have a security clearance, that goes a long way. IT is one of the better fields, but people have been offered half of their former pay. (Many IT people are without jobs too.)

Definitely don't move here unless you have a job already. In general, sending in resumes is a waste of time.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 AM

461 posts, read 795,860 times
Also, check out the cost of living here. Still very high. Rental in particular is expensive.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:40 PM

260 posts, read 1,544,735 times
Crazy amount of jobs for an IT person with a clearance. You have to try not to have a job here. With that said, moving here blind is not smart unless you can support yourself for 2-4 months in the inflated nova economy. Make sure you have a cert that the government likes (I don't have a link on my phone) and you'll be set.

Last edited by jb124; 04-19-2010 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,919,003 times
Are you kidding? People that have jobs here are people from all over the country - if you have the specific technical skill that a company wants you will get a job. Most of the people that have jobs here came here for the job.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,348,256 times
There's plenty of work here, however do you have the right skills and the right personality to get the position? You can't just ride the Clearance bus anymore, you really need to have the right skills. Field experience is highly desirable but with a go-getter attitude. We just did a massive hiring event at work, and believe it or not, my boss wanted positive personalities rather than a paper certified individual.

Also the cost of living down here is about triple, maybe quadruple compared to Upstate NY. You might land a salaried position, but that does not mean your standard of living will improve, or it could go down slightly. You could find yourself lonely and out of place at first, but you will adjust. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia