U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2007, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,646 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planning to relocate from Las Vegas to NOVA, and would appreciate any opinions on some good places to live. Here is my info:

-I will be working near Union Stations
-Prefer to spend between $2000-$2200 for rent (preferably 3 bed room)
-Prefer a commute time < 45 min.
-Moving with my wife, who has a baby on the way (October). In addition, my sister in law will be living with us, who is in middle school.
-Lookin for an area that family can feel safe in, with good schools, and not too far from D.C.

At this point, I have been looking primarily at Alexandria and Arlington (I lived in Crystal City for a short time, and really liked it). However, I'm not sure how realistic these areas are for our price range. Any suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 09:16 PM

260 posts, read 1,218,435 times
Check Craig's List for ideas on what's affordable: northern virginia apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist. Three bedrooms in Arlington is looking like 1800-4000/mo, so it might be doable. Alexandria is looking like 1700-3500 for a 3 BR.

Arlington and Alex have great schools (basically all of NoVA has good schools) and are basically safe. Some neighborhoods can be a little shady in both areas, but that happens everywhere.

If you're willing to look farther out, like say Burke or North Springfield, you might have more options. They key would be to stay along a bus or metro line so you could have multiple commuting options (working near Union Station means you have a stop for things like Metro and the VRE, which is nice).

Old 06-10-2007, 07:39 PM

1,764 posts, read 4,562,623 times
I'd stay as close in as you can, and there are some nice apartments/condos in Arlington in your range. The closer to the metro stop, the higher the rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia