U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,693,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingpanda01 View Post
Yeah. Speed. Apparently, I was going 79 on a 55 and she was going 74 on a 55. I should've just kept driving and called her afterwards to give her directions.
So, why didn't he pull you over instead of her? You were first and the faster driver. How do you know his intent was not to pull you over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 AM

25 posts, read 167,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
So, why didn't he pull you over instead of her? You were first and the faster driver. How do you know his intent was not to pull you over?
Well, my fiance later told me the cop was next to her car motioning for her to pull over. And I assume when there are two cars speeding, hte cop usually just pulls over the last car. I mean, if she had pulled over and I kept driving, the cop wouldn't have chased after me, right?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Well, based upon what you have said (and this may or may not be reliable), my advice is to get a lawyer and you may make some money out of this.

Scenario: Male officer is monitoring traffic for speeders. Male driver passes him going 24 mph over limit. Female driver passes him going 20 mph over the limit. Officer pulls over female driver. Officer then gives her boyfriend a ticket when he pulls over to wait for her.

This will be a cross-examination that would be worth taking a day off from work to see.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM

738 posts, read 2,617,895 times
If both were breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit, then how is it wrong for them to have gotten tickets? I've seen situations where the officer motions for one speeder to pull over so that they can pull another speeder over as well. If they both pulled over at basically the same time, what does it matter which car he pulled in behind? It was night, so the officer more than likely could not tell the gender of the driver.

They were both speeding in the same vacinity, slightly different rates of speed, they got caught, pulled over, and were issued citations accordingly. Seems pretty cut and dry.

to the OP - if you have a clear driving history, you can probably get yours dropped to a few miles over the limit and your fiancee can probably have hers dropped completely with a defensive driving course.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:21 PM

486 posts, read 1,488,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
If both were breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit, then how is it wrong for them to have gotten tickets? I've seen situations where the officer motions for one speeder to pull over so that they can pull another speeder over as well. If they both pulled over at basically the same time, what does it matter which car he pulled in behind? It was night, so the officer more than likely could not tell the gender of the driver.

They were both speeding in the same vacinity, slightly different rates of speed, they got caught, pulled over, and were issued citations accordingly. Seems pretty cut and dry.

to the OP - if you have a clear driving history, you can probably get yours dropped to a few miles over the limit and your fiancee can probably have hers dropped completely with a defensive driving course.
Or not, if you get a hanging judge like I had, you'll get the full fine. I had 19 years of a clean driving record, got one speeding ticket for 15 over the speed limit, tried to defend myself and the judge gave me the full penalty. Getting a lawyer was going to cost me anywhere from $600-800 for a simple speeding ticket so I thought I could do it myself. Hindsight is 20/20... Get an attorney!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:38 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Well, based upon what you have said (and this may or may not be reliable), my advice is to get a lawyer and you may make some money out of this.

Scenario: Male officer is monitoring traffic for speeders. Male driver passes him going 24 mph over limit. Female driver passes him going 20 mph over the limit. Officer pulls over female driver. Officer then gives her boyfriend a ticket when he pulls over to wait for her.

This will be a cross-examination that would be worth taking a day off from work to see.

I can tell you with absolutely certainty that you are way off the mark on this one. I would love to be there as well and I'll wager both can easily be found guilty. To the OP I personally don't care if you were to get off but this poster is so anti le that I'd be careful listening to their advice.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:55 PM

313 posts, read 459,092 times
Getting a lawyer was going to cost me anywhere from $600-800 for a simple speeding ticket so I thought I could do it myself. Hindsight is 20/20... Get an attorney!

um...what? simple speeding tickets cannot be 600 dollars unless you were in a work zone. why would you get an attorney for a speeding ticket? It's not worth the headache...

Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I can tell you with absolutely certainty that you are way off the mark on this one. I would love to be there as well and I'll wager both can easily be found guilty. To the OP I personally don't care if you were to get off but this poster is so anti le that I'd be careful listening to their advice.
OP, just to demonstrate how much credence you should give to Bigfoot. I retired from law enforcement after 28 years. When I left, I was managing 23 operations with over 350 officers. I won't say anything bad about him, he is just very defensive.

It's important to read my message. I said you should see an attorney. I said you may or not be credible. I said you could be owed compensation if the officer didn't act properly. I painted you a scenario which, on its face, doesn't smell right, but could be right. The officer could have planned to pull you over all along. But, your attorney will know after he views and hears the tapes (if they exist), and does some research on the officer.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:57 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
bangorme

"Well, based upon what you have said (and this may or may not be reliable), my advice is to get a lawyer and you may make some money out of this"

You said this earlier and if you were in LE then I am amazed even more at the statement. Officers are wising up and are starting to successfully sue back at people who file frivolous lawsuits or complaints against officers for just doing their jobs. Your suggestion smacks of someone retiring under less than ideal situations. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am but the above suggestion stinks.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
bangorme

"Well, based upon what you have said (and this may or may not be reliable), my advice is to get a lawyer and you may make some money out of this"

You said this earlier and if you were in LE then I am amazed even more at the statement. Officers are wising up and are starting to successfully sue back at people who file frivolous lawsuits or complaints against officers for just doing their jobs. Your suggestion smacks of someone retiring under less than ideal situations. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am but the above suggestion stinks.
Wrong again lol. Your judgment, or lack thereof, is something to behold.

Normally in this situation I would say, you were speeding, pay up. Even if you pulled over and inadvertently made it easy for the officer, it's not worth fighting about. But in this instance the OP received VA's bogus (in my opinion) reckless driving charge. If you read my other posts, you will find me almost exclusively supportive of officers, but very much against this tax/lawyer welfare provision and the position officers are put into... tax collectors. Since you will probably need to hire a lawyer to make sure you don't get completely screwed in court, you might as well look/listen to the tapes to determine what happened, and discover if this is an officer that tends to attract this kind of scrutiny. In my experience, video evidence mostly clears the officer, but there are bad officers out there. Bad officers tend to be bad repeatedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia