Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:02 PM

141 posts, read 753,753 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to NOVA from S. Fla. My husband has inquired about Woodbridge earlier in this forum and we now realize that it is not the place for us as far as commutting issues, etc.

The homes seem affordable, and we are interested in working in the following areas:
Mclean
Reston
Chantilly
Fairfax (the city, not the county)
Centreville

We have the following questions:

1. Are the above mentioned locations relatively close to Manassas as far commuting time?

In addition, since the homes seem so inexpensive, we were of course, a little curious as to why.. Our budget is $450K and below.

We are a young couple with a 4 year old son.

2. Can anyone enlighten us about the area?

We have family in Alexandria and Lorton and they indicate that Manassas will be too far, and that the school system is not that great in comparison to Fairfax county. Our son will be attending a private school in Manassas (if we move there), however, because of resale value, we would like to live in an area with fairly good schools.

3. How is the school system in Manassas? We have reviewed the rankings, but we would love to get a personal opinion from someone who lives in Nova
Thanks anyone for their help in this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 01:11 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,360,050 times
While it varies depending on where within each city you'll be going, a general guide for commute times would be as follows (NON-rush hour times first, rush hour times in parentheses):

Centreville - 15 minutes (25-30 minutes)
Chantilly - 20 minutes (30-40 minutes)
Fairfax - 25 minutes (45-60 minutes)
Reston - 35 minutes (50-60 minutes)
McLean - 40 minutes (60-80 minutes)

It that sounds crazy, well it is. Gridlocked traffic is an unfortunate reality in this area, and coming out of Manassas is quite brutal.

As far as the housing prices, well, they're lower for the obvious reasons that you've been tipped off to by your family. Distance of course is a big one, and the schools also, while decent, aren't AS good as neighboring Fairfax County. With that said, with the market the way it is, you may be able to find some decent single-family homes within Fairfax County at your price range. You could definitely afford a nice townhouse, pretty much anywhere within the county.

Personally, I do feel that Manassas is too far out but there are plenty that will disagree with me on that. I recommend people live as close to where they work as possible because commuting/traffic is a major issue in this area that affects people's lives more than they think it will prior to moving. You know your tolerance for commuting better than I do though.

Also, I'm not sure the reasoning behind sending your child to private schools. If it's for personal/religious reasons that's one thing, but if it's so that he'll receive a better education, I have to say that in much of Northern Virginia, Fairfax County in particular, that wouldn't even be necessary as they'd receive a stellar education in the public school system. So assuming that were the case, I would personally choose Fairfax County and take the money you save on private school tuition and apply it to a home there, which will have greater resale value due to the cache of the school system (Manassas schools are pretty good, but not great); in addition to affording a better commute for you.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:18 PM

257 posts, read 1,127,367 times
Hello there im currently living in Manassas. Basically anything to fairfax county or city depends on time of day because of traffic, there is a million ways to get a million places but there will always be high volume. Schools fairly good, Stay out of Potomac and Freedom area. (woodbridge) Also if you want to get some nice scenery and live still close enough to go where you need to without a hike try Independent Hill,Nokesvilles and Brentsville. Still in Prince William County and its beautiful there, Farms and big houses but seriously a road away from manassas city. Jobs pay good here because i work for the Gov't right now in Fairfax but again the cost of living is higher. Its a nice area. But stay out of Georgetown south, Woodbridges state streets, and annandale. Another really beautiful growing place is Haymarket in West Prince William. Its right off of 66 which takes you directly too centreville, reston, vienna and eventually DC. Hope this helps!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
While it varies depending on where within each city you'll be going, a general guide for commute times would be as follows (NON-rush hour times first, rush hour times in parentheses):

Centreville - 15 minutes (25-30 minutes)
Chantilly - 20 minutes (30-40 minutes)
Fairfax - 25 minutes (45-60 minutes)
Reston - 35 minutes (50-60 minutes)
McLean - 40 minutes (60-80 minutes)

It that sounds crazy, well it is. Gridlocked traffic is an unfortunate reality in this area, and coming out of Manassas is quite brutal.

As far as the housing prices, well, they're lower for the obvious reasons that you've been tipped off to by your family. Distance of course is a big one, and the schools also, while decent, aren't AS good as neighboring Fairfax County. With that said, with the market the way it is, you may be able to find some decent single-family homes within Fairfax County at your price range. You could definitely afford a nice townhouse, pretty much anywhere within the county.

Personally, I do feel that Manassas is too far out but there are plenty that will disagree with me on that. I recommend people live as close to where they work as possible because commuting/traffic is a major issue in this area that affects people's lives more than they think it will prior to moving. You know your tolerance for commuting better than I do though.

Also, I'm not sure the reasoning behind sending your child to private schools. If it's for personal/religious reasons that's one thing, but if it's so that he'll receive a better education, I have to say that in much of Northern Virginia, Fairfax County in particular, that wouldn't even be necessary as they'd receive a stellar education in the public school system. So assuming that were the case, I would personally choose Fairfax County and take the money you save on private school tuition and apply it to a home there, which will have greater resale value due to the cache of the school system (Manassas schools are pretty good, but not great); in addition to affording a better commute for you.

agreed. You will realize in the years to come that school there is much harder than many states, In fact VA has the hardest High School cirriculum. So if your child does come up here and graduates here with even good grades not even out of this world, you can be certain that your child will have no problem with College. I just graduated two years ago and you have to pass alot of things besides just your class, and in the end out in the real world. It makes you that much better

Old 07-12-2007, 10:14 PM

Thanks, everyone for your help. I must say, that I have belonged to other forums, however, this forum on city-data has been so helpful.
Everyone responds quickly and accurately, which is a great help. Mapquest can only help you so much!

One of the reasons we were so gung-ho about private schools is because we have heard so many nightmares about gang activity (MS-13) in some of the public schools, Fairfax as well as Prince William County.

If we do decide to go to Woodbridge (because of the affordability and the supposed soccer mom paradise (as I read on other related forums), can we possibly commute on a daily basis to Springfield, Alexandria, or Lorton during rush hour using only Route 1?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:40 PM
gnu

55 posts, read 249,999 times
This is only a matter of personal preference, but Manassas has a distinctly different feel about it compared to the other places you listed. Some may disagree, but it feels like the boondocks, and I'm always depressed when I have to go there. But it might be good for a soccer mom sort of family, I'm not sure.

Also, don't worry too much about MS-13...especially not in McLean, Reston, or Fairfax City. Who has given you the "nightmare" stories? Because truly, they have greatly exaggerated them, at least for Fairfax County, I don't know about PW county. As far as the gang goes, you need only avoid the Culmore/Bailey's Crossroads neighborhood of Fairfax County (as far as schooling/living goes). Like we joke all the time about it being deep in MS-13 land, but in reality, it's not even enough to deter people from doing their shopping in that area (but again, I wouldn't live there).

Old 07-12-2007, 10:57 PM

Thanks so much, but what are your feelings on Woodbridge? Reading some of the forums, it seems like most people do not like the area, or do not think highly of it.
Is it the military presence, the fact that it is in Prince William County, or ???
Please advise and thanks for your help in this.

We are leaning towards Manassas and Woodbridge obviously because of the affordability and suburban atmosphere in a large metropolitan area.

If we do end up in Woodbridge or Manassas, are there any communities or locations we should steer clear from?

Thanks again

Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,360,050 times
Yeah, don't worry about MS-13. Gang activity is ridiculously overblown in the press. There really aren't as many as you'd think from the press, and they largely stick to themselves and in the very few times in the past where they have struck out at random people as opposed to rival gang members, they tend to attack immigrant Latinos, which I'm not saying is a good thing by any means, but just saying that if you're not one, you don't really have reason to worry. As gnu said, their hotbed is the Seven Corners/Bailey's Crossroads region and even then, it's not some sort of dangerous gangland central. So far as safety goes, we're pretty spoiled in Northern Virginia and most of our "ghetto" areas would make people in the rest of the country crack up. There are a few areas where it's best not to live if you have the option, but nowhere where you have to fear drive-bys or being jumped for wearing the wrong colors.

I think a lot people have an aversion to Prince William County for a few reasons. Firstly, there's the obvious distance factor. It's just too far out for a lot of people. Secondly, there's the matter of reputation. Prince William County for a long time was a sort of rural, blue-collar, rednecky sort of a place. Many people in Fairfax County regarded it as a stepping stone to the South. When I was a kid, it wasn't that uncommon to see Confederate flags on license plates or hear Southern accents there. So there's been a history of people in Fairfax, Arlington and Alexandria looking down on the county as a sort of backwards land of yokels. So that reputation has sort of held over time even if a lot of those elements have since left. As more and more families went further and further out in search of affordable housing,the population grew exponentially and Prince William began turning more and more yuppiefied, suburban, diverse, and well, Fairfaxed. However, the reputation remains, and no doubt, there IS still a bit of that older element to it but it is no longer dominant. The county as a whole though does feel more Southern in character and more blue collar than Fairfax or Loudoun. To some people, that's good. To others, bad. To others, it makes no difference.

For more information on Woodbridge, check out some of these older threads:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=1411524

I'm not sure if I'd classify Woodbridge as soccer mom central. There are certainly plenty of nice subdivisions where I'm sure soccer moms run wild but as a whole, I think of other communities as being bigger soccer mom havens before I think of Woodbridge, like Burke, Centreville, Ashburn, etc. As a general rule of thumb for Woodbridge, the communities closest to Route 1 are to be avoided. Again, they're not horrific but just rundown and grungy and best to be avoided if you can afford elsewhere. You can take Route 1 up towards Springfield and Alexandria, but it will be quite the long haul.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovefromFla View Post
Thanks, everyone for your help. I must say, that I have belonged to other forums, however, this forum on city-data has been so helpful.
Everyone responds quickly and accurately, which is a great help. Mapquest can only help you so much!

One of the reasons we were so gung-ho about private schools is because we have heard so many nightmares about gang activity (MS-13) in some of the public schools, Fairfax as well as Prince William County.

If we do decide to go to Woodbridge (because of the affordability and the supposed soccer mom paradise (as I read on other related forums), can we possibly commute on a daily basis to Springfield, Alexandria, or Lorton during rush hour using only Route 1?
your commute will be alot easier going to to those places, But you will find ways to get around 95 and 1. i commute from about Dale city to Ft Belvoir everyday and i take a road and get on the highway and stay on the exit ramp and get off where route 1 is clear. you just have to find what works for you. Also gang related activity like i said is more based in Potomac and Freedom high. Woodbridge and Osbourn Park are just your average good high schools. Nothing to be scared about there is a police office in every single high school now anyways

Old 07-13-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovefromFla View Post
Thanks so much, but what are your feelings on Woodbridge? Reading some of the forums, it seems like most people do not like the area, or do not think highly of it.
Is it the military presence, the fact that it is in Prince William County, or ???
Please advise and thanks for your help in this.

We are leaning towards Manassas and Woodbridge obviously because of the affordability and suburban atmosphere in a large metropolitan area.

If we do end up in Woodbridge or Manassas, are there any communities or locations we should steer clear from?

Thanks again
here is the thing about manassas and woodbridge. Manassas Park and Manassas City are very crowded OLD cheap buildings. And we have a serious problem with alot of illegals living in them. They do not always have the best track record as far as crime goes. Woodbridge, also is very old its one of the first places there in PW. its got route 1 that runs right through it and 95 Parallel to it, traffic is always there and lights like you wouldnt beleive. There is one very nice neighborhood though in Woodbridge and it is towards the river. In which you will always find a nice neighborhood. and talking about soccer mom heaven you are literall a half mile for pretty much where all PW kids and leagues play football, soccer and baseball all day everyday of the year. Its by Featherstone Plaza and when your driving there you go over some train tracks then al of the sudden there is beautiful houses and nice river views. It also offers a water park in the summer. Thats my only good thing about Woodbridge. If you want to live Towards manassas like i do go to Nokesviles, Brentsville, or Independent Hill. Its amazing open acres of land and beautiful new and old houses back there. and literall a mile away from PW main backbone road 234. which will take you to either 95, 66, manassas, manassas park, woodbridge...thats your best bet. Trust me on this one we lived in Woodbridge and moved literally 5 miles and you would think we are in a different world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: