U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:32 PM

486 posts, read 964,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Georgetown is killer expensive. But there is a neighborhood near Georgetown called The Palisades (spelling?). You might find a townhouse in that area for a little less than you would in Georgetown.
I lived in Palisades for 5 years and you might be able to find a small one bedroom or studio for under $1,500./mo. Forget the TH. I would skip DC altogether as you will get more if you go further out.

I don't remember you saying if you are actually commuting into DC for work or not. If so, I wouldn't stray past Fairfax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,594 times
Update:
I was rounding down for our monthly income. It is 42k/year but after taxes I did not know how much that would come out to be. According to restonrunner we are looking for a city outside of D.C. I plan on riding my bike to the metro or VRE/MARC and ride it into D.C. I would not want the total travel time to be more than an hour. I guess we are looking for something that we can walk or ride our bikes to the bakery, farmers markets, we do have one car for the both of us. We do not want to feel unsafe where we live.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,659,151 times
It really depends on how much of that you're comfortable spending on rent (since no one knows what other financial obligations you have). You should be able to find a 1 br apartment for $1000, but there will be a catch somewhere--it will be tiny/old, far away from transportation, or in a less than desirable location. Your large pup is going to throw a wrench into things as well (though I know that my dog is my family, and I'd never give her up, so you'll find a way to make it work!)

I'm a fan of foxchase apartments in Alexandria for cheap, pet friendly rentals. They're old and tiny, but they allow big dogs, and are just around the corner from a great dog park, a shopping center with a grocery store and a couple quick service restaurants, and a short walk to where they hold farmers market in the summer (Cameron Station).

Alexandria, VA-Apartment Homes For Rent-Foxchase

I lived in the surrounding neighborhood for a couple years, and never felt unsafe (I used to walk my dog at all hours of the day). I believe they run a shuttle to the metro as well (King street, I think?) It's a 5-10 minute drive (or a slightly longer bike ride) to the heart of Old Town, where you can get your fill of larger farmers markets and bakeries.

I don't know of any other places that allow 70 lb dogs, but I do know that despite the fact that my old building only "allowed" 35 lbs, I saw labs and shepherds and a couple pitties during the time I was there...

Old 04-22-2010, 06:25 AM

2,439 posts, read 6,021,428 times
"I plan on riding my bike to the metro or VRE/MARC and ride it into D.C. I would not want the total travel time to be more than an hour. I guess we are looking for something that we can walk or ride our bikes to the bakery, farmers markets, we do have one car for the both of us. We do not want to feel unsafe where we live."

In the DC area, lots of folks are looking for these very same things, and many of them have much higher incomes than you do. You may have to give up the "bike to the farmer's market" to get the "bike to Metro/VRE."

Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 AM

5,962 posts, read 6,339,234 times
I agree that with your income, it's going to be tight. There are apartments in Vienna called Arrowood Parc: Arrowood Parc Apartments that seem pretty reasonable. I don't know much about them. They are a bit older but in a great neighborhood. You wouldn't be right in "downtown" Vienna but if you have a bike, you could easily ride or walk - about 1 1/2 miles or so. There is a farmer's market from May until October a library, some shops and restaurants, and a bakery or two. It's less than 2 miles to the Metro, so again it's perfect if you have a bike. It appears that they take dogs.

I also lived for a time in Falls Church at a place called Tyson's Glen. Again, it's older but that's why they are fairly reasonable. There is a shuttle to the Metro (West Falls Church) and you could bike to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, the library, and some restaurants and stores (albeit in strip malls). They also take dogs which is why we chose it. It's a pretty convenient, close-in location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia