U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:11 PM

1,806 posts, read 2,413,530 times

Advertisements

My partner and I currently live in Fairfax and own a townhouse. Looking to downsize/simplify and are interested in a condo in Reston near the Reston Town Center including the following:

- Stratford House
- Paramount
- Carlton House
- Midtown Lofts
- Madison Park
- The Savoy
- Midtown East/West

Another reason we like this particular area is the upcoming Silver Line.

Would greatly appreciate any and all feedback from those that have looked at these locations or currently live there regarding pros/cons.

Is the Spectrum Shopping Center suppose to be redeveloped at some point going from a commercial development to a mixed use space including 2 new residential towers? Also, is the same suppose to occur at PARC Reston?

Saw in a thread from about a year ago, the following projects were being considered in Reston:

1.) Massive Mixed-Use (Residential/Retail/Office) Project Slated for Proposed Wiehle Avenue Metrorail Site.

2.) High-Density Mixed-Use Development of the Spectrum Center.

3.) Two New Condo Towers at Parc Reston.

4.) Three New Towers on the Oracle Campus (1 Commercial, 2 Residential)

5.) 1,000,000 Square-Foot Mixed-Use Project Adjacent to Sheraton Reston.

6.) 1,700 Condos, Hotel, and Retail Space Slated for Lake Anne Village.

7.) Three New Office Towers Slated for Reston Crescent.

8.) New 15-Story Mixed-Use Tower Coming to Reston Town Center

9.) 940 New Condos and Retail Development on Site of Fairway Apartments (As a Nearby Resident I'm Wondering What Will Become of the Tenants)

10.) Large Office Complex on Sunset Hills Drive.

11.) 200 Senior Citizen Condos on Colts Neck.

12.) Major Expansion of Reston Hospital Center.

13.) Hotel at Intersection of Sunset Hills Drive & Hunter Mill Road.

14.) High-Rise on Site of Ruby Tuesday Parcel in Reston Town Center (I actually have no idea where that lot is).

15.) 20 Other Mixed-Use Projects Along Toll Road.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,373,170 times
I just was in a Oak Park condo and thought it was nice. It was under 1000sqft, but had awesome view of Town Center.
Part of the Metro is to be finished next year...I think to Wheihl (i know I am spelling that wrong) and then it is to extend into the town center but no date.
Good luck!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,472 times
I currently live in the Midtown building (since 2006), and also lived in the Oak Park community. I know the surrounding condo market very well, as well as the development plans for the parcels you listed. Lots going on in the Reston Town Center district, but the proposed projects and their timing are obviously subject to prevailing economic conditions and various other factors. Right now, most of the projects you listed (except the Whiele Metro development and Reston Hospital expansion) are in a holding pattern with no definitive start dates. You specifically mentioned the Spectrum property....they owner (Lerner) received preliminary approval to redevelop that land to a higher density (the 1-level retail that exists has always been a temporary solution until the area could support higher density). The Silver Line's arrival to Wiehle in 2013 and Town Center in 2016 will help justify that new density, but I don't see any new development happening on that parcel for quite some time.

The types of buildings, construction quality, amenities, condo dues, and overall reputation of the condos you listed vary quite a bit. Some buildings are poured concrete high-rises, some are stick framed garden or mid-rise. Most were built as condos from the begining, but some were built as apartments and then converted to condos. Lots of pros and cons of each...depends on what type of product you are looking for.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-23-2010 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: real estate advertising; please review Terms of Service

Old 04-23-2010, 04:47 AM

Thanks for the info!

I was looking at Dulles Metrorail - Map and Stations and noticed it seems the Reston Parkway METRO stop is going to be on both the North AND South side of the Dulles Toll Road, right at the Reston Parkway; something like how the Vienna stop is designed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I just was in a Oak Park condo and thought it was nice. It was under 1000sqft, but had awesome view of Town Center.
Part of the Metro is to be finished next year...I think to Wheihl (i know I am spelling that wrong) and then it is to extend into the town center but no date.
Good luck!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 AM

790 posts, read 1,611,219 times
I agree that it looks like the Reston stops will resemble those at Vienna. It's hard to figure out where to buy right now to take advantage of the metro coming. Most of the current condos are varying walks to the proposed stops, and I'm wondering if other buildings will be closer.

If I were looking at Reston, I'd purchase a townhome or single family home. A few years ago, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved 10,000 additional condo/apartment units for Reston. Makes me think townhomes and houses will increase in value. Condos will be a dime a dozen.

Last edited by austindoxie1972; 04-23-2010 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-23-2010, 07:26 AM

It seems it really is still about location, location, location. Something close to or in the Reston Town Center will always have demand. A townhouse or single family home further away maybe more questionable. The Reston Town Center seems ready to take full advantage of the upcoming Silver line; take a look at Clarendon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
I agree that it looks like the Reston stops will resemble those at Vienna. It's hard to figure out where to buy right now to take advantage of the metro coming. Most of the current condos are varying walks to the proposed stops, and I'm wondering if other buildings will be closer.

If I were looking at Reston, I'd purchase a townhome or single family home. A few years ago, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved 10,000 additional condo/apartment units for Reston. Makes me think townhomes and houses will increase in value. Condos will be a dime a dozen.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Still interested in feedback from those that live or have looked at the following recently:

- Stratford House
- Paramount
- Carlton House
- Midtown Lofts
- Madison Park
- The Savoy
- Midtown East/West

Old 04-23-2010, 05:03 PM

30,205 posts, read 67,351,355 times
I live in Archstone Charter Oak currently (near Parc Reston, Fairway Apartments, and The Sycamores), and I can only offer you insight into the Market Street Condos, which, while not on your list, are also directly in the Reston Town Center area. A friendly couple who owned a condo in this complex was looking to lease out their unit, and I toured it, even though I wasn't prepared at the time to move in ASAP. I really liked it and would have signed the lease that day had I not then had to carry my current apartment through an additional two months. The location was very convenient, the amenities seemed nice, it had hardwood flooring and a modern kitchen, the bedroom was spacious, and there was plenty of closet space. It was also very reasonably priced. My 1-BR apartment in Archstone Charter Oak, without any amenities and with frequent maintenance issues, is leasing now for $1,325/month if I were to have renewed. I believe this couple wanted only about $1,375/month for their condo, so it was VERY reasonably priced, considering how over-priced Reston is to begin with. I'm soon going to be moving into Colvin Woods for $1,100/month---one of the cheapest apartments I could find in Reston.

It will be really interesting to see what happens in Reston long-term. If you read the Restonian you will see just how many NIMBYs live here who oppose growth or denser mixed-use or transit-oriented developments, not realizing that if we don't encourage as many newcomers as possible to move to Reston they'll just move to Loudoun County cul-de-sacs anyways and clog Reston's roadways trying to get east. I hope Reston evolves into the next Orange Line Corridor of North Arlington, but I know I'm in the minority here that would like to see that happen. Traffic here is disgusting. The traffic heading southbound on Reston Parkway during most evening rush hours is much more congested than I've ever experienced in much of Arlington, which has nearly four times Reston's population of 65,000. More efforts need to be made to make Reston a more transit-, cyclist-, and pedestrian-friendly community. Some of the "village centers" can really use some sprucing up as well. Lake Anne is on life support, and the Tall Oaks area is very run-down. New development in these areas should be encouraged.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:05 PM

30,205 posts, read 67,351,355 times
Actually, I just remembered I also have a colleague in Carlton House who seems to be really happy there.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Great to hear and thanks for the feedback

Any idea which model they have at the Carlton House and any other general comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Actually, I just remembered I also have a colleague in Carlton House who seems to be really happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia