U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:54 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,287,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Sheesh, I thought you hate it when cops write tickets, when they should be chasing criminals and stuff?
Breaking the law IS criminal! How else would you define it?

Sometimes not using a signal can be dangerous, most of the time it's just arrogant and annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 PM

3,409 posts, read 3,075,815 times
I hate it when people just ****ing lean on their horns. People are stupid

Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM

412 posts, read 511,591 times
Funny story... I'll never forget my mom being behind another car in the left turn lane when she noticed the car had a bumper sticker that said, "Honk if you love Jesus." She honked right about the time the light turned green and the driver of the car with the sticker flipped her off. Timing is everything, huh?

Old 04-25-2010, 03:39 PM

510 posts, read 587,346 times
I actually saw a case where someone honking a horn like that caused an accident. The car in front of me honked their horn because someone didn't signal when that car made a right turn. In the lane to the left of me, a car slammed on their brakes because of hearing the horn and thinking there was a reason they needed to stop and was rear ended by the car behind them. Of course, the person who honked their horn kept on going even though they caused the accident. Honking a horn in a non emergency can actually cause an accident - as I've seen it do so. Maybe that's rare, but it happens.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:05 PM

380 posts, read 609,015 times
good points. The tailgating in NoVa is problematic. They are on their mobiles more than half of the time.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:38 PM

7,567 posts, read 9,666,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Furthermore, what's with Maryland drivers?
It's convenient to blame another states drivers for everything, but the truth is that there are plenty of drivers from Virginia who do the same things.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 PM

26,562 posts, read 47,304,037 times
So, essentially, my course of action is to start writing down plate numbers of people who don't use turn signals and calling the police to report them, or should I start mounting a dashboard camera to record my travels to use as evidence to make a daily "pit stop" at the police station to make sure these people are held accountable for their actions (or in this case "INactions?")

I'm thinking those of you who sympathize with those who don't use their turn signals often don't use your own turn signals. I was nearly hit on Route 7 today. I was in the left-hand lane coming down through Ashburn headed towards Reston, and I put my right blinker on to get into the middle lane. Someone from the right-hand lane also tried to get into the middle lane, but they did NOT have their blinker on, so how was I supposed to know this person was coming on over into the same lane I was attempting to merge into?

People who don't use their turn signals ARE a blatant danger to those around them, and they SHOULD be held accountable somehow for their actions.

As far as someone "accosting" me is concerned, let them. I've been warned by friends that someday one of these morons is going to get out at a red light with a gun to come after me, but I don't care. I've been pushed around enough in life to this point and am no longer going to sit by idly and let people have even MORE of a "free pass." If I'm going to get pulled over and issued a speeding ticket for barely exceeding the speed limit on a rural roadway, then I'm going to make sure that those who don't signal are "jolted" into reality as well, since Fairfax County never pulls anyone over for not using their blinkers (true story, as I was behind a police car who turned right behind an SUV that didn't have its blinker on).

Old 04-26-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
I actually saw a case where someone honking a horn like that caused an accident. The car in front of me honked their horn because someone didn't signal when that car made a right turn. In the lane to the left of me, a car slammed on their brakes because of hearing the horn and thinking there was a reason they needed to stop and was rear ended by the car behind them. Of course, the person who honked their horn kept on going even though they caused the accident. Honking a horn in a non emergency can actually cause an accident - as I've seen it do so. Maybe that's rare, but it happens.
I guess that's why people can get a ticket for blasting their horn without an emergency!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
So, essentially, my course of action is to start writing down plate numbers of people who don't use turn signals and calling the police to report them, or should I start mounting a dashboard camera to record my travels to use as evidence to make a daily "pit stop" at the police station to make sure these people are held accountable for their actions (or in this case "INactions?")

I'm thinking those of you who sympathize with those who don't use their turn signals often don't use your own turn signals. I was nearly hit on Route 7 today. I was in the left-hand lane coming down through Ashburn headed towards Reston, and I put my right blinker on to get into the middle lane. Someone from the right-hand lane also tried to get into the middle lane, but they did NOT have their blinker on, so how was I supposed to know this person was coming on over into the same lane I was attempting to merge into?

People who don't use their turn signals ARE a blatant danger to those around them, and they SHOULD be held accountable somehow for their actions.

As far as someone "accosting" me is concerned, let them. I've been warned by friends that someday one of these morons is going to get out at a red light with a gun to come after me, but I don't care. I've been pushed around enough in life to this point and am no longer going to sit by idly and let people have even MORE of a "free pass." If I'm going to get pulled over and issued a speeding ticket for barely exceeding the speed limit on a rural roadway, then I'm going to make sure that those who don't signal are "jolted" into reality as well, since Fairfax County never pulls anyone over for not using their blinkers (true story, as I was behind a police car who turned right behind an SUV that didn't have its blinker on).
Oh, ok, I get it. In your world, two wrongs DO make a right. Someone else misbehaves so you must also misbehave and annoy everyone. Got it.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,668,881 times
Quote:
my course of action is to start writing down plate numbers of people who don't use turn signals and calling the police to report them, or should I start mounting a dashboard camera to record my travels to use as evidence to make a daily "pit stop" at the police station to make sure these people are held accountable for their actions (or in this case "INactions?")
Or you could just take a deep breath. Drive as carefully as you can. And stop considering it your responsibility to dispense Karma to the entire DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia