U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 15,354 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to NOVA and are looking at Loudoun County Schools. We are considering either Loudoun County High School or Stone Bridge High School along with their feeder schools (we have one in HS, one in MS and one in ES).

It seems that both High Schools perform well in testing, but the MS and ES schools that feed Loudoun County High School do not perform nearly as well as those that feed Stone Bridge. Any idea why this would be? Are there ways to avoid the poor performing feeder schools (such as Simpson Middle School) and still end up at Loudoun County High School? Do you think the rezoning that is currently happening with the new schools opening will have an impact on this?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 11:06 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,635,209 times
I don't know much about the feeder schools, but I would caution you that the LCPS boundary process is crazy. Stone Bridge HS is highly desired (and overcrowded); there was recently a contentious decision made to move Lansdowne residents out of Stone Bridge and into Tuscarora (the new Leesburg-area HS opening this fall). One of the discarded alternatives included moving kids from Ashburn Farm down to Briar Woods HS here in Brambleton, which really angered Ashburn Farm residents because Stone Bridge is in their community, proffered by their developer, and somehow Lansdowne got approved with only one middle school proffer.

The Ashburn school boundaries will continue to be in flux over the next few years; the county finally accepted that they were going to have to build another high school in the area, and that is currently planned for 2013-2014 (but they haven't selected a site yet, and that is also going to get ugly). I guess what I'm saying is that there's no guarantees regarding school attendance in eastern Loudoun.

One more thing: I'm not sure where you're getting your data from, but if you haven't checked out the school profiles and state report cards, that is your best bet for more than just test scores.

Loudoun County High School: School Profile (http://lcpsprofiles.loudoun.k12.va.us/portal/page/portal/LCPS/HS/SCHOOLENROLLMENT:GRADE?NAME=%22LOUDOUN%20COUNTY%20 HIGH%20%22 - broken link)
Loudoun County High School: VDoE Report Card

J. Lupton Simpson Middle School: School Profile (http://lcpsprofiles.loudoun.k12.va.us/portal/page/portal/LCPS/MS/SCHOOLENROLLMENT:GRADE?NAME=%22J.%20LUPTON%20SIMPS ON%20MIDDLE%20%22 - broken link)
J. Lupton Simpson Middle School: VDoE Report Card

Stone Bridge High School: School Profile (http://lcpsprofiles.loudoun.k12.va.us/portal/page/portal/LCPS/HS/SCHOOLENROLLMENT:GRADE?NAME=%22STONE%20BRIDGE%20HI GH%20%22 - broken link)
Stone Bridge High School: VDoE Report Card

Belmont Ridge Middle School: School Profile (http://lcpsprofiles.loudoun.k12.va.us/portal/page/portal/LCPS/MS/SCHOOLENROLLMENT:GRADE?NAME=%22BELMONT%20RIDGE%20M IDDLE%20%22 - broken link)
Belmont Ridge Middle School: VDoE Report Card

Eagle Ridge Middle School: School Profile (http://lcpsprofiles.loudoun.k12.va.us/portal/page/portal/LCPS/MS/SCHOOLENROLLMENT:GRADE?NAME=%22EAGLE%20RIDGE%20MID DLE%20%20%22 - broken link)
Eagle Ridge Middle School: VDoE Report Card

From just glancing at the middle school profiles, there are two big areas of difference between Simpson MS, Belmont Ridge MS, and Eagle Ridge MS:

Simpson: 17% Economically Disadvantaged; 5% English Language Learners
Belmont Ridge: 6% Economically Disadvantaged; 1% English Language Learners
Eagle Ridge: 6% Economically Disadvantaged; 0% English Language Learners

Old 04-27-2010, 11:06 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,355,109 times
We actually picked our home b/c of Stone Bridge's reputation. We live a stones throw away from it.
There was a big uproar about the schools at one point b/c they were going to have some of the Ashburn kids go to a different school and bring Lansdowne kids into Stone Bridge, but I believe it has been worked out. THat being said, things can always change. But for now we are happy!

Good luck with the move!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 15,354 times
Thank you. I had looked at the school profiles and DOE report cards. I had seen the data on the difference in economically disadvantaged students. The primary thing that concerned us was the difference in pass/fail rates on the SOL tests. Typically the failure rate at Belmont Ridge and Eagle Ridge is 1 - 4%, but at Simpson it is 12 - 20%. It is a similar ratio at the Elementary feeder schools as well. Is the answer really to stay away from Loudoun County High School boundaries so you don't have to go through the feeder schools, or is there any other way around that?

Thank you for the heads up on the boundary fluctuations. We will keep that in mind. Stone Bridge does look like a very nice high school.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:37 PM

577 posts, read 1,784,143 times
Overall the LCPS are all ranked very well. Naturally, individual schools may vary within that range. I wouldn't try too hard to get specific schools since boundaries seem to change every year. If anything I would go with the long term goal of the best high school since that's where grades really start to count. Plus how you raise your children has quite a bit to do with how well they do in school, in my opinion.

What's also important is how happy the children are at their school so you should also look for a good, family friendly neighborhood with kids around your children's ages. Don't be shy about approaching neighbors on a street where you like a house. If you feel like you're planning to stay in the new place for a while consider the idea that you're buying into the neighborhood, not just the house.

Good luck with the move!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 PM

989 posts, read 2,467,045 times
Regarding the boundary issues-they are fluid. Stone Bridge IS a great school but so is Broad Run and Briar Woods. We are (currently) zoned for Stone Bridge which is great, it's in the community, a great school, etc BUT my average child may not make the competitive sports teams at Stone Bridge, where he may have had a shot at Briar Woods or maybe even Broad Run. With greatness comes great competition. My friends freshman daughter, who has been on volleyball travel teams for years, did not make the freshman volleyball team. It is a very competitive school and I've heard (rumors) that they bring in athletes from outside the boundaries to make the teams better.

Any of the Ashburn high school are great. I really don't think you could go wrong anywhere in Ashburn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or