U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,555,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
Brymax, may I suggest a 6:30 pm flight out of BWI? You would have to leave Sterling at 1:00.
Have you seen the 2.99 per pound broccoli yet? or the eight Dollar bags of oranges? Did you notice 2 buck chuck is 3.99+tax?
Gah, that bugs me every time I go into TJs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,635,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
It's MUCH more expensive once you get to Reston and points westward. It cost me $4.90 each way when I went to Brambleton from Reston. $10 round-trip?! Forget that!
That's because the Greedway starts west of 28. No need to do that unless you're really in a hurry. The best way to get to Brambleton from Reston and vice versa without paying tolls is 606-28-LCP.

When I give directions to Brambleton for DC friends, I give them three options:
- fast but expensive (66-267-Greedway-LCP)
- slightly slower but cheaper (66-267-28-Waxpool-LCP)
- really slow but totally free (66-28-Waxpool-LCP or 66-50-LCP-Evergreen Mill-Ryan)

Old 04-30-2010, 01:26 PM

389 posts, read 1,088,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Yessssss! I take mostly back roads to get to/from work, so the lack of buses and students and such make summer commutes much quicker than other times of the year.
this isn't true at all for US1 (oh i mean route 1) and I-95. it is gridlock during the summer on most afternoons and sat mid mornings and sun evenings. everyone is out going to the beach and what not and there is only one way back to PW/Stafford/Fredericksburg

Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,199,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
That's because the Greedway starts west of 28. No need to do that unless you're really in a hurry. The best way to get to Brambleton from Reston and vice versa without paying tolls is 606-28-LCP.

- really slow but totally free (66-28-Waxpool-LCP or 66-50-LCP-Evergreen Mill-Ryan)
Yes. I know this "back way" now. When I first moved here I was dating a guy who lived in South Riding and wanted to go to see a movie in Brambleton. I just plugged it into the GPS, and the GreedWay is how Garmin took me. Now I'm a pretty good expert on a lot of local roads and have even taught a friend how to take a short-cut to DC.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:24 PM

13,027 posts, read 19,856,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brymax View Post
Just stop it! All-o-ya'll.

I was told the Mixing Bowl was the worst... and then I was told here that Sterling to Alexandria was the worst. Well i enter AT the Mixing Bowl. 395 to 495 to the toll road. Left @ 5:10 yesterday. 1 hour. DONE!

And it's only going to get better once all that great road work is done. Course I say that being the parent company of the contractor doing all that freeway work here.

Stay positive friends... Traffic in Iraq is worst!
The truth finally comes out! You stand to make money and need to sell us a positive image. Well, I'm not buying it. I used to live in Alexandria. I don't find what you're saying to match what I see on the roads everyday. Traffic is slightly better than it used to be, supposedly thanks to the lousy economy, but it can still be real awful at times.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,090,790 times
Quote:
Just stop it! All-o-ya'll.

I was told the Mixing Bowl was the worst... and then I was told here that Sterling to Alexandria was the worst. Well i enter AT the Mixing Bowl. 395 to 495 to the toll road. Left @ 5:10 yesterday. 1 hour. DONE!

And it's only going to get better once all that great road work is done. Course I say that being the parent company of the contractor doing all that freeway work here.

Stay positive friends... Traffic in Iraq is worst!
Your little stint on the mixing bowl is NOTHING. What--do you enter onto 395 around Edsall and basically hug that shoulder ramp onto 495? That's not where the problem EVER was. Watch the news at night when they show traffic thru the mixing bowl down to Newington. Constant gridlock with the exception of this past Monday evening when it was like a ghost town. Even the news reporter commented on that. Watch the cameras where the people are heading out from the Pentagon area down 395 to Duke Street at around 6:00 p.m. Gridlock.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 PM

461 posts, read 795,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The truth finally comes out! You stand to make money and need to sell us a positive image. Well, I'm not buying it. I used to live in Alexandria. I don't find what you're saying to match what I see on the roads everyday. Traffic is slightly better than it used to be, supposedly thanks to the lousy economy, but it can still be real awful at times.
That's a real pet peeve of mine on this board. Backdoor advertising. So many posts are like that. But look at what a twisted world we live in when a 1 hour commute is good.

Lets' say you have three weeks of vacation per year. That's 10 hours on the road per week by 49, which is 490 hours on the road per year. That's 20 days at 24 hours per day, which is equal to your three week vacation. Or 61 work days at 8 hours per day.

Two months of work time per year spent on the road! That's a good commute? And like I said, rolling along the toll road is actually better than most commute routes.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,996,664 times
Quote:
Sorry, did that... Not THAT bad!

BS...not sure what your agenda is other than to push buttons, but we all live and have to drive around here and I commuted 66 for 3 years and it sucked. I either had to leave at or before 4 or leave after 6:30-7 to have a decent commute in the pm...and that's supposed to be the reverse commute. When you have to plan your work day based on your commute, then the commute sucks.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:46 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,344,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
Brymax, may I suggest a 6:30 pm flight out of BWI? You would have to leave Sterling at 1:00.
Have you seen the 2.99 per pound broccoli yet? or the eight Dollar bags of oranges? Did you notice 2 buck chuck is 3.99+tax?
Not BWI for an early evening flight! That's cruel and unusual punishment, especially on summer Friday. The trip to the airport can take longer than the flight.

Re: The Mixing Bowl: The information you had received might be outdated. There was a massive reconstruction project that fixed the issues at Springfield in the last few years, such that most of the delays have been alleviated, though traffic does in Newington for drivers headed south. It used to be common to sit on The Beltway in both directions from mid-late afternoon into the evening, from Telegraph Road to Braddock Road but no longer.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-30-2010, 05:10 PM

183 posts, read 614,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post

Haha, good one, cd, I do the exact same thing, and give recommendations depending on who is coming to visit. I even give the one from Rt. 7 from Tyson's Corner to Ashburn. I find that those who try to be cheap about it ending up getting burnt (don't use GPS to find my house!!), and so they'll take the Greenway out of the area going back home. Me and my wife don't take it all the time, but we both do it in a pinch. It's amazing how much shorter it makes the commute.
And yes, it is the "Greedway". It simply makes no sense to charge that much money for a 15-mile road. With those prices, if you use it round-trip, you're looking at the price that it costs to take the tunnels/bridges into NYC. I looked at the rates for the toll road that we used to live off of in Dallas, and got upset! It's less than here for a further distance, and you don't even have to get on it, you can take the service roads!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia