U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:02 AM

110 posts, read 223,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Re: The Mixing Bowl: The information you had received might be outdated. There was a massive reconstruction project that fixed the issues at Springfield in the last few years, such that most of the delays have been alleviated, though traffic does in Newington for drivers headed south. It used to be common to sit on The Beltway in both directions from mid-late afternoon into the evening, from Telegraph Road to Braddock Road but no longer.
Oh, what's that? Road construction project made things better? Is that what I just heard?

I'll drop this issue because I really want to post up something new about lawn care but I'll end with saying this...

OK, I might have jumped too quick. Traffic is obviously much worse for some-o-ya'll, (Huh, I'm fittin in already?) now that I hear some specifics like 26 miles in 2 hours. Now that's LA kinda bad, right there.

And yeah, my bad on the toll. It is $1.75 each way. Still don't care, that just ain't a lotta dough for my sanity. But upwards of $4 is definitely suckville.

But the promoting positive comments to boost Shirley Co's image? Now that's just wrong and mean. You forget, I'm from So Cal. We don't promote parenting as a positive life endeavor. We think everything sucks and speak positive of no one. It's like being from New York, only with sunshine and avocados.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 PM

660 posts, read 1,499,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brymax View Post
Traffic is obviously much worse for some-o-ya'll, (Huh, I'm fittin in already?) now that I hear some specifics like 26 miles in 2 hours.
Ha...if you heard someone here say y'all, they were either another transplant or maybe a senior citizen. You may be in Virginia, but you won't in with cutesy "y'alls" around here.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,701,100 times
Moderator Cut

Traffic is not even the beginning of the problems here.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-04-2010 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: off-topic

Old 05-04-2010, 04:02 PM

404 posts, read 948,766 times
Quote:
some-o-ya'll, (Huh, I'm fittin in already?)

You need to take some of that attitude back to SoCal...

Old 05-05-2010, 08:20 AM

436 posts, read 774,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
You need to take some of that attitude back to SoCal...
yeah nobody wants snotty airheaded ppl who come from CA who come to other parts of the country to complain about others complaining (ok is it me or did i just confuze myself??? btw i came from CA...)

Last edited by iColt1; 05-05-2010 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: sounded as if i was insulting Jesco White

Old 05-06-2010, 01:57 AM

248 posts, read 612,921 times
You are correct about the traffic. It is MUCH worse elsewhere.

I recently came back from a vacation in the Philippines. Manila traffic is TERRIBLE, literally four times as bad as in the DC metro area.

Not only do you have massive stop and go, there is a lot less road respect and much more relaxed road rules (shoulder usage common, lanes in any two lane roads expanding temporarily all the time, cars crowding you out, staying inbetween the dotted lines being optional instead of mandatory).

This also happens at all times, even in midnight on a weekday!

After I saw this I vowed never to complain about DC traffic again. Because I have seen its worse elsewhere.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 AM

7,723 posts, read 18,519,853 times
Traffic is so unpredictable around here, I've had many 3 hour commutes home in my lifetime living here. They aren't frequent, but after experiencing a couple can push a native, like myself, to want to move. I'm sure whatever test anyone tosses out to the OP, he or she, experienced nary a delay. Obviously something is better here......otherwise, why the move?

There's nothing worse than listening to whiney people itching and moaning about those that whine.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:38 AM

100 posts, read 128,929 times
Quote:
Yeah so I've been here for 2 weeks now (relocation from So Cal) and I'm working in Alexandria, right next to what you all call "The Mixing Bowl" and I've left for home @ 2:30, 3:30, 5:30 and yesterday I left @ 4:30pm, probably the worst traffic time known and I just have 1 simple question...

Where's all this traffic ya'll are always whining about?

No seriously! Is the traffic not on the beltway anywhere?

No offense and I mean this in the most loving way, but...

Ya'll are a bunch of whinny little traffic sissy's!

This ain't traffic! It's barely even mildly annoying.
I live 30 miles from work in Sterling and it takes me 30 minutes to get here and 45 minutes to get home.

For those of you potential relo's from other high traffic cities that are coming to this forum asking about traffic... Do not listen to these people! The traffic is absolutely no nearly as bad as everyone cry's about it being.

I was warned by others when I was in CA that VA folks get all whinny when they have a commute longer than 30 minutes and they were totally right on the money.

You people (and now me too) have it made so shut up about the traffic. Heck, this current traffic condition is going on during the largest roadway construction project know to man and it still ain't that bad. Every freaking road in 50 sq. miles is under construction and it's still moving.

Ya'll want traffic... Go to LA and then come back and cry about traffic!
To go to work if I have to travel more than 15 minutes it's too dam far!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:40 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,041,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagal View Post
To go to work if I have to travel more than 15 minutes it's too dam far!
Unless you were fortunate enough to live walking distance of your destination, you'd be in for a rude awakening commuting in Northern Virginia or virtually every other major metropolitan area.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,732 times
Quote:
Yeah so I've been here for 2 weeks now (relocation from So Cal) and I'm working in Alexandria, right next to what you all call "The Mixing Bowl" and I've left for home @ 2:30, 3:30, 5:30 and yesterday I left @ 4:30pm, probably the worst traffic time known and I just have 1 simple question...

Where's all this traffic ya'll are always whining about?

No seriously! Is the traffic not on the beltway anywhere?

No offense and I mean this in the most loving way, but...

Ya'll are a bunch of whinny little traffic sissy's!

This ain't traffic! It's barely even mildly annoying.
I live 30 miles from work in Sterling and it takes me 30 minutes to get here and 45 minutes to get home.

For those of you potential relo's from other high traffic cities that are coming to this forum asking about traffic... Do not listen to these people! The traffic is absolutely no nearly as bad as everyone cry's about it being.

I was warned by others when I was in CA that VA folks get all whinny when they have a commute longer than 30 minutes and they were totally right on the money.

You people (and now me too) have it made so shut up about the traffic. Heck, this current traffic condition is going on during the largest roadway construction project know to man and it still ain't that bad. Every freaking road in 50 sq. miles is under construction and it's still moving.

Ya'll want traffic... Go to LA and then come back and cry about traffic!
I used to go from Alexandria to Leesburg for a year, it would easily take 2+ hours each way. And its what, 3020ish miles? Seems like excessive traffic to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia