Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:41 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,325,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMomatHome View Post
traffic gets much worse when schools are out for the summer, even on weekends
On the plus side, though, the school buses won't be snarling traffic on narrow yet heavily-traveled commuter routes like Georgetown Pike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,908,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
On the plus side, though, the school buses won't be snarling traffic on narrow yet heavily-traveled commuter routes like Georgetown Pike.
Yessssss! I take mostly back roads to get to/from work, so the lack of buses and students and such make summer commutes much quicker than other times of the year.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Yessssss! I take mostly back roads to get to/from work, so the lack of buses and students and such make summer commutes much quicker than other times of the year.
I live near Lake Anne Elementary along North Shore Drive in Reston, and I can't wait for school to be out because the soccer moms and students there act like they "own" the street. They line up, often times double-parking, open their doors carelessly into traffic, and just dart across the street (not just the kids), even when they aren't in crosswalks. It's a similar story near Forest Edge Elementary in the "Uplands" of Reston, where I'm moving next week. Granted I always drive very slowly through school zones and am never distracted as I drive, but Reston's streets aren't a "playground" (that goes for you soccer moms, too!)

Old 04-30-2010, 10:52 AM

461 posts, read 906,867 times
2:30 on the Dulles Toll Road (or 66), woah daddy how did you even get home? (sarcasm) You wait, the roads will get the last laugh on you.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Hey, at least you're not a Yankee saying that we don't know how to drive in the snow. One flaw with this forum is that it's anecdotal. Anyone basing relocation decisions on such things as traffic would do themselves a favor by going back to the data section of City Data and getting the unbiased stats. I've driven in LA and it's about the same as here as the figures bear out.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
2:30 on the Dulles Toll Road (or 66), woah daddy how did you even get home? (sarcasm) You wait, the roads will get the last laugh on you.
Traffic seems to have become slightly worse even in the one year that I've lived in Fairfax County. I spoke to a colleague who lives in Harpers Ferry, WV and commuted to Tysons Corner yesterday, and she said that in the decade since she's lived there she's gone from having ZERO traffic in the mornings to hitting quite a bit of traffic. As long as housing prices in the inner suburbs remain only attainable to dual-income householders, then the outer-ring suburbs are going to continue to mushroom, making traffic worse for areas in between. This is why when people in Reston whine about "zero growth" I remind them that if we keep telling people NOT to move to Reston then they'll just move to Loudoun County and commute to or through Reston anyways, making our traffic worse. I'd rather have those folks living here.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Hey, at least you're not a Yankee saying that we don't know how to drive in the snow.
Actually, most people here did very well driving through our blizzards a couple months ago. I was impressed. My neighbor who got his SUV stuck in the parking lot as he tried doing donuts? Not so much. Actually, the worst weather condition here for drivers seems to be SUNLIGHT. When driving westbound on I-495 near Bethesda on my way home from Baltimore recently everyone in front of me kept slamming on the brakes, but traffic wasn't terribly congested. I then realized that apparently some people have never heard of sunglasses or pulling down their sun visors to avoid slamming on the brakes on the Beltway.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:10 AM

That's actually good advice. Maybe every Fall we could have a Yankee clinic. New residents could show us how to drive on snow and to keep us from freezing our melon balls (unless we liked them that way).

Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM

110 posts, read 247,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
If you want to experience the traffic, why not try to go 66W or E for that matter at 5pm or how about getting on 495N from 267 at said hour.
Sorry, did that... Not THAT bad!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:20 AM

110 posts, read 247,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Here at least you have some options. My husband commutes from 30 miles west into Herndon and it takes him 35-40 mins MAX. Yes he takes the Greenway, and yes he pays a ton for it but we factored that into our cost of living out here. At least there a few ways to get places around here.
Oh yeah, and about that toll road!

Ooh, a whole F'n dollar 1 way and $.75c back! Ouch! That's just so freakin expensive!

Check this out ya whinny little traffic sissy's...

Going from Corona CA back in to Orange County? 1 freeway! 1, that's it. No side routes, no roads, not even a street to get off and take a leak. Oh there's a toll road out there alright... How about $3.90 "Off-Peak" and $5 bucks during rush hour! 1 way!

Huh?! What's that? $1.75 round trip not sounding so bad now, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia