U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:35 PM

486 posts, read 949,906 times

Advertisements

Unless I missed something in the article, why are you assuming it was a Muslim who took the picture and posted it? With a picture like on a car, I bet a number of people would take pictures of it. Since it went viral, it made it's way to CAIR. It doesn't say a CAIR photographer took the picture, and even it if did say that... the person is not a creep running around taking pictures... CAIR stands for Council on American-Islamic Relations. As someone who interviewed CAIR represenatives for a documentary I produced, they would be interested from a treatment post 9-11, and "what's out there" perspective. CAIR, from what I can tell, is not the type of fanatical organization to go harass someone over nothing.
Have you looked at other religious group websites to see that they also post things about how they are right and wrongings that are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
No, that there's some creep running around taking pictures of cars in the region and posting them world wide and opening them up to well-known violence. That I'm realizing that there are segments of our Muslim community (that have included radical clerics and Sept 11 terrorists) that are active against citizens in a personal way.

For me, it's kind of a waking up, that "Hey, people could start getting assassinated here." Or have their lives ruined, etc. Again, I was naive. I will be more aware of the Muslim community here from now on.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:23 PM

205 posts, read 280,039 times

This guy seems worth defending...

Old 04-29-2010, 04:25 PM

461 posts, read 532,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
and CAIR making political hay out of this does not equate to local-Muslims targeting people!
I have to disagree with you on this one.

Fort Hood shooting: Texas army killer linked to September 11 terrorists - Telegraph

Old 04-29-2010, 05:04 PM

Check this out. Our former Falls Church mosque leader says that it's ok to murder Americans because we live in a democratic society.

Anwar al-Awlaki:

"The American people are the ones who have voted twice for Bush the criminal and elected Obama who is not different from Bush as his first remarks stated that he would not abandon Israel, despite the fact that there were other anti-war candidates in the US elections, but they won very few votes. The American people take part in all its government's crimes."

Al Jazeera English - Focus - Interview: Anwar al-Awlaki

So killing the truck driver is all right by some from this area (who no longer live here so will actually let their true feelings be known.)

Old 04-29-2010, 05:05 PM

7,754 posts, read 11,835,233 times
Let us please focus on how the article referenced affects Muslims and others in Northern Virginia. General views on religion or world affairs can be expressed on the Religion, Politics or Great Debates forums.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Check this out. Our former Falls Church mosque leader says that it's ok to murder Americans because we live in a democratic society.

Anwar al-Awlaki:

"The American people are the ones who have voted twice for Bush the criminal and elected Obama who is not different from Bush as his first remarks stated that he would not abandon Israel, despite the fact that there were other anti-war candidates in the US elections, but they won very few votes. The American people take part in all its government's crimes."

Al Jazeera English - Focus - Interview: Anwar al-Awlaki

So killing the truck driver is all right by some from this area (who no longer live here so will actually let their true feelings be known.)
Yes, there are Islamic extremists out there. Now please explain the logic that had you arrive at the conclusion that Northern VA muslims are acting out on some vendetta.

I found these other possible future terrorist victims:

Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, there are Islamic extremists out there. Now please explain the logic that had you arrive at the conclusion that Northern VA muslims are acting out on some vendetta.

I found these other possible future terrorist victims:

I didn't say vendetta. I'm just saying that for the general population in NOVA -- if they choose to voice opinions unpopular to area Muslims -- can be at risk for finding themselves on a world stage in the Islamic-Terrorism conflict. I don't like this.

As part of this, I am saying that there is now an official presence (as evidenced by the article) out there photographing ordinary citizens who express these opinions. I am also saying that a former local area mosque leader has approved citizen-assassinations. This is also not good.

What part of what I am saying is not clear?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I didn't say vendetta. I'm just saying that for the general population in NOVA -- if they choose to voice opinions unpopular to area Muslims -- can be at risk for finding themselves on a world stage in the Islamic-Terrorism conflict. I don't like this.

As part of this, I am saying that there is now an official presence (as evidenced by the article) out there photographing ordinary citizens who express these opinions. I am also saying that a former local area mosque leader has approved citizen-assassinations. This is also not good.

What part of what I am saying is not clear?
Everything! Why does the "general population of NOVA" not include Muslims? There's a lot of Muslims in this area! There's NOTHING related to this news item that would indicate anyone is at risk of being a victim of terrorism for being anti-Islamic.

A) Someone took a photo of this license plate - nobody knows the race or religion of the photog. As I showed in my last post, taking photos of unusual or funny cars is a very popular past time on the interwebs.

B) CAIR lodged a complaint. No different than if the NAACP filed a complaint.

C) VA DMV acted to remove offensive plate.

I don't see how terrorists fit anywhere into this story.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:51 PM

225 posts, read 254,303 times
Why do people only scream "Free Speech" when they have something offensive to say about others?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Everything! Why does the "general population of NOVA" not include Muslims? There's a lot of Muslims in this area! There's NOTHING related to this news item that would indicate anyone is at risk of being a victim of terrorism for being anti-Islamic.

A) Someone took a photo of this license plate - nobody knows the race or religion of the photog. As I showed in my last post, taking photos of unusual or funny cars is a very popular past time on the interwebs.

B) CAIR lodged a complaint. No different than if the NAACP filed a complaint.

C) VA DMV acted to remove offensive plate.

I don't see how terrorists fit anywhere into this story.
Do you see how terrorists fit into NOVA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia