U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM

61 posts, read 138,919 times

Advertisements

Not sure if correct forum but hoping for some help. Just bought a Cape Cod in Falls Church and upstairs is very hot(that is with the temp in mid 70's...don't want to think about July/August)...I realize warm air rises but anything else I can do. We have closed the downstairs vents. What I have heard is: check insulation, flow booster, attic fan. Just wondering what would be the least costly way to fix.....we have our 2 year old upstairs...might have to move downstairs.

Right now, there is only one real vent in upstairs bedroom, not sure if adding another vent would help much since cold air will move down. Also, the inspector did suggest more insulation but not sure how much insulation would really cool it down??? Can't really put a ceiling fan since Cape Cod /slanted ceilings and wife is against window air conditioning unit...(for now)

If anyone has any experience, I would very much appreciate any insights. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 03:36 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,120 times
An attic fan should definitely help. Also, check your furnace filters. That sounds basic but sometimes people forget and if they're clogged they'll reduce the air flow and even damage your AC unit. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:56 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,623,292 times
An exhaust fan in the attic will definitely help, it will pull the hot air out. Also, have you checked on moving the air conditioning to the attic? You may have to install new duct work if all you have is one vent but it makes more sense cooling from the top floor and heating from the lower level.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:35 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,341,583 times
Do you have a Cape Cod where the attic was converted into living space? I know someone who had a house like that in Falls Church, and the A/C had not been upgraded when the living space was finished, and that was two owners before them. What they had to do was install new duct work, and then they opted for a second zone for the upstairs because it would freeze the downstairs and basement just to keep the upper floor cool for sleeping.

Until they could get all that done, however, they installed room air conditioners in the two bedrooms up there, and it made the house habitable. It might work for you to do that in the sort-term so that you don't have to relocate downstairs in the warm weather, if you have a similar problem. That's the only quick fix I can think of, and you can get a high-efficiency window air conditioning unit that cycles on and off to maintain the temperature.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-30-2010, 07:38 PM

696 posts, read 1,495,721 times
FYI - they have a couple of attic fans at Costco and Costco.com. Both are eligible for a tax credit. Make sure you get your ducts cleaned too!

Old 05-01-2010, 07:39 AM

421 posts, read 818,874 times
I agree about attic fans. They really can keep your house several degrees cooler in summer. I think I'd opt for window unit a/c's too. You can take them out during the winter and if you ever leave, take them with you.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:39 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,099,983 times
Does the roof have a ridge vent? If not, you may want to look into adding one. Ridge vents run along the peak of the roof and allow warm, humid air to escape the attic. Ideally you should have both a ridge vent in the roof and an attic fan.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:33 PM

380 posts, read 925,565 times
portable a/c no vent or window needed............also, a separate mini-split system for the upstairs would require zero duct work. I would consider window tinting for west facing upstairs windows.. I was just quoted 150 us for a pair of sliding doors 6 x 6.67.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 AM

61 posts, read 138,919 times
Thanks everyone for suggestions. Had contractor out and he suggested attic fan. On top of this, the AC went out on Friday night...under warranty but not pleasant. Open windows and ceiling fan and not too bad.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 AM

3,845 posts, read 3,951,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2009 View Post
Thanks everyone for suggestions. Had contractor out and he suggested attic fan. On top of this, the AC went out on Friday night...under warranty but not pleasant. Open windows and ceiling fan and not too bad.
I bought a cape cod house in Alexandria a year ago and know what you are talking about. It's generally 10 degrees warmer upstairs (a good thing in the winter).

Unless you have a new roof, maybe you should consider the new light-color reflective roof tiles? They are more environmentally sound cuz they reflect the sunlight rather than exorbing it like typical black tiles.

I have an attic fan which is nice. But this year I think I'll often toggle my central AC: just run it for an hour or so and close doors and it'll keep cool for quite awhile. What is expensive is leaving the AC running.

Enjoy, cape cod's have more charm then alot of houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia