U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 05:06 PM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times

Advertisements

Motorcycles get great fuel mileage and the HOV lanes allow motorcycles. They are also not very expensive and can be cheaper than upgrading to a hybrid. I wonder why don't more people here use motorcycles as an option for commuting, aside from weather? It would seem to take more cars off the road and help those with long commutes (Fredericksburg to DC) for example take a little frustration out of that commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 05:22 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,544,518 times
people like the climate controlled comfort of the inside of a car, not having to wear a helmet and leather jacket and gloves, plus be able to rock out to tunes from their CD player while theyr'e stuck in traffic!

Old 05-01-2010, 05:48 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,860,588 times
They already encourage motorcycle commuting by allowing them in the HOV lanes...I don't know what else they could do.

I don't think motorcycle commuting will ever become widespread...for one, it's incredibly dangerous. Car drivers are getting worse by the day, spending more and more time fiddling with electronic doo-dads, and less time driving. If you're in an accident on a motorcycle, whether you're right or wrong...you lose. I'm told that some hospital workers refer to motorcyclists as "organ donors".

To top it all off, motorsickles large enough for Interstate driving don't get all that great gas mileage...some cars do as well or better.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 13,442 times
Default mc commute

As a long time rider, I will chime in here. For me it all depends on commute length as well as the quality of the commute. If I am going to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, I will cage it so I can drink my coffee and listen to the radio. If I were working off hours and riding 50-60mph the whole way, I would take the bike. As far as safety, yeah I would lose in an accident right or wrong but I don't let fear dictate my life. As far as gas milage, I get 40mph riding in typical NOVA traffic, 45 or so out in the country. My small suv gets 18city 23 highway. Once I move 3 miles from work,I will probably go back to riding every day.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:59 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,860,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerjohn1 View Post
As a long time rider, I will chime in here. For me it all depends on commute length as well as the quality of the commute. If I am going to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, I will cage it so I can drink my coffee and listen to the radio. If I were working off hours and riding 50-60mph the whole way, I would take the bike. As far as safety, yeah I would lose in an accident right or wrong but I don't let fear dictate my life. As far as gas milage, I get 40mph riding in typical NOVA traffic, 45 or so out in the country. My small suv gets 18city 23 highway. Once I move 3 miles from work,I will probably go back to riding every day.

I don't let fear dictate my life either....but I do weigh the risk vs. rewards of about everything I do. For me, riding a sickle (around here, especially)...the risk outweighs the reward.

That said, I do like riding....I restored a 1965 FLH (last year of the panhead!) about 15 years ago, and I take her out for a spin occasionally (about 500 miles per year). Any more than that, and I feel like I'd be tempting fate...

Old 05-02-2010, 08:18 AM

2,674 posts, read 6,237,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
They already encourage motorcycle commuting by allowing them in the HOV lanes...I don't know what else they could do.
They could legalize lane splitting as it is in California. Rather than being stuck in traffic, split the lane and keep on riding through. I doubt it'd happen in this area as there are too many self important people who'll think they are being discriminated against because cycles can "cut the line".

Also you don't need a large motorcycle to ride in the highway. Anything over 125cc is good to go. The new trend is the mega scooters. All the big name bike manufacturers have a scooter line that allow 80mph easily while still getting 50+ mpg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or