U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 06:38 AM

7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabethan1558 View Post
I want to personally apologize if i have caused any uproar from my post's.Don't get me wrong,d.c. and nova are great places for tourism,and sight seeing.There are many lovely places here.I think the thing that get's to me the most is space.I really can't handle suffocating living.I suffer with bad anxiety,and this causes it to be worse.

Since i moved here,my aniexty have doubled.I guess i am just a person that is used to gettting thier money's worth of a place to live.I don't mean living 50 miles from civilization either lol.There are soo many things that has changed in this world,and not for the better.I really feel it puts pressure on the region you live in.

I observe the stabbing each other in the back over a job,i see people bucking coldly for position,alot of women aheming thier boss's for a raise,the smirky snooty stares if you don't drive a mercedes/bmw,or bc you are fat,the constant plotting and planning of trying to run someone over due to some guy's that are egotistical d-bag's,dealing with uptight school administrator's,cold placent additude's from the soccor moms,the over sickness of working your finger's more so here bc you have to pay out triple the money for a outrageously over priced place to live in,the pressure of trying to keep your belonging's yours before punk's try to steal them/or break's in your car,the noise,the mental unrest,the uptightness,headaches,people riding your bumper just to **** you off,cold neighbor's,keeping up with the jone's fake facades,some feel the need to spell check or correct what you type/say.I feel it's not just certain area's that you live in that causes this,but i feel like the world has gone mad and turned upside down like a garbage dumpster.It's going downhill,to the point of no return.

I see kid's bumping thier head's to Lady Gagme,and parent's are ok with that,i'm not saying all.Whatever happened to parent's saying no?

These are a few of my concern's and dis-likes.I do realize alot of these things happen everywhere,even in the south,no doubt.I don't know,i guess i am just ranting a bit.Forgive me people,don't mean to stir the pot.Just talking out loud,thought's and concern's for the world as we push forward.I was told by my husband,maybe i should run for president lol.

Maybe i feel the need to escape to the country to get away from all of this noise.It is a noise soo loud,i can no longer contain it.Where did the time go when it was common place to hold open the door for a freind or neighbor?I do see small act's of random kindness,and when i do,it makes me smile,knowing that child was raised with proper manner's.I wish that there was a time capsule i could escape to,i whould personally choose the 1920's to 1950's,(excluding the wars).I do realize the world can't be all pink and fluffy flowers,i just wonder where the time went.The only way i am able to capture those moment's in time,is through watching TCM movies.I feel really at home when i watch them,my grandma got me hooked on them,and Golden Girls.

I hope some of my post made some sense at least.
Personally I like (ha!) "Lady Gagme's" music if not so much the "Madonna 2.0" theatrics. But then I suppose I'm a "disco king" to some extent.

Back to topic: NOVA - and higher-density suburban living in general - is certainly not for everyone and it certainly seems like you've reached that conclusion. May you and your family find a place where you can accomplish your personal and professional goals at a more modest pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 AM

167 posts, read 442,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Thanks for the insight. I know that when I'm around people from NY, they always talk as if half the population is crazy or a wierdo. Maybe that's been their experience like yours, so they just assume the worst. I've been hit up by street people, but not the normal looking person turning out to be weird. Maybe it's an Alexandria thing.

My experience with that is from people that I do know. People inviting you over for dinner, which you learn is not to make friends but to get your soul. Incredibly, it's hard to find someone who just wants to enjoy conversation or make friends. Instead, you have to be a resource for something that they want to extract.

Alexandria is definitely the worst. In DC, during the day, you see professional folks and street people. You ignore the latter, but the former are pretty top notch folks who can be approached and who have intelligence and social skills. Alexandria is all about anger and Antoinettish snobbery. The exburbs are the latest disappointment to me.

People still think they're in some rusting industrial town in New Jersey where maybe they should cast their eyes down because they don't want to see the ugliness, especially human, all around them. When now they're in a nice leafy suburb where they should lighten up. Like I mentioned before, their personalities were formed in these towns, and they can't be changed. Too bad they have to spoil it for everyone else.
Wait. In the other thread, you said "If you move to NOVA, expect to only find friendly people in certain environments. Even in controlled ones, such as a church, I have found people to be aggressive, dangerous drivers, and rude." Now you're saying the professional folks are pretty top notch folks who can be approached and who have intelligence and social skills. Did you not know that probably at least 20-30% of the professional folks in DC actually live in NoVA? More than half of my friends that live in NoVA are working in DC. So you're saying that these people in DC are approachable, intelligent, and have social skills but they're aggressive, dangerous drivers, and rude in NoVA?? I don't get it

Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 AM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times
"I observe the stabbing each other in the back over a job,i see people bucking coldly for position"

I saw that in Jacksonville Florida. If you think that does not happen in Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, etc you are incorrect. At least here there are some people who do not think the loser deserves what they get, or that those who do not get the best jobs deserve to not have health insurance, etc.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:39 AM

" I know that when I'm around people from NY, they always talk as if half the population is crazy or a wierdo. Maybe that's been their experience like yours, so they just assume the worst. I've been hit up by street people, but not the normal looking person turning out to be weird. Maybe it's an Alexandria thing."

" I am not unhappy but believe that the area suffers greatly from a general Northeasternization: overcrowding, traffic problems, aggression, and rude people."

I am from New York, raised there till I was 18. I am not rude. I am somewhat shy, but can enjoy talking to people from all walks of life. I hold doors, etc.

I am getting sick of the kind of rudeness being expressed in these posts though. I have lived north and south, east and midwest (never got to live in California) and I have found good and bad people, rude and polite people, gentle and harsh people, all over.

I am really sorry if some folks dont like living in the NE and it makes you unhappy. If you want to move south. Good luck. Though you will find growing metro areas there, not just small towns (and you can find small towns in the north east, if you look).

And if some folks dont like living in relatively dense areas like Alexandria, well there are about a zillion areas in the USA, and plenty in NoVa, that are not like that. And whats more there will continue to be, even if the metro is extended, even if there is more support to transit-biking-walking.

The obsessiveness and hatred here says little about the northeast and about Alexandria. What it DOES speak about, I leave to the reader.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM

23 posts, read 28,204 times
HI mr.Toni,
Sorry,i think i did get off the topic a bit much.I did not read to TOS guidelines,i will do my best to stick to them next time.

Brooklyn,i said i know this also happen's in all area's,including the south.I was just putting my perspective out there,what i have personally seen through my own eyes.Of course,we all see thing's differently,i seem to watch everything closely.

But i fully respect everyone's opinion here.Yes,the reason i have to stay until june of next year is because of my hubbie's job,but anyhow,i will smile,take it all in stride,and do my best to make the most of it until next year,

Have a great day all.

Liz

Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 AM

"I think the thing that get's to me the most is space.I really can't handle suffocating living.I suffer with bad anxiety,and this causes it to be worse."

I found life in Florida depressing. We are all different. I don't find Old Town Alexandria suffocating, in part because the space is used well (unlike Tysons, where the density IS a negative).

I mean think about it. The heart of Old Town Alex is essentially the same density it was in 1810, in terms of buildings. Probably lower in terms of people, as folks lived more folks to a room back then (mostly).

Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 AM

"People inviting you over for dinner, which you learn is not to make friends but to get your soul."

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 AM

15,897 posts, read 36,023,827 times
The density and Alexandria.

These places are SO FEW in the States. So few and rare. The chances of someone who doesn't like a place setup like Alexandria...how do they even end up there??? I mean, you have about a 0.000000000001% chance of moving to a dense location like that when you consider how large the U.S. is...and the person who prefers the other 9.99999999% of non-density across the U.S. ends up living in Alexandria? HOW?

Not only that, but the place is so small, you can walk right out of it into car-culture and parking lots fairly quickly. If a person dislikes Alexandria Virginia, I hope they never win a free ticket to Europe or Asia...and if they do, I hope they remember this post, and send it to me

Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 AM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The density and Alexandria.

These places are SO FEW in the States. So few and rare. The chances of someone who doesn't like a place setup like Alexandria...how do they even end up there??? I mean, you have about a 0.000000000001% chance of moving to a dense location like that when you consider how large the U.S. is...and the person who prefers the other 9.99999999% of non-density across the U.S. ends up living in Alexandria? HOW?
Not only that, but the place is so small, you can walk right out of it into car-culture and parking lots fairly quickly. If a person dislikes Alexandria Virginia, I hope they never win a free ticket to Europe or Asia...and if they do, I hope they remember this post, and send it to me
JOBS, that is all you need to know.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 AM

461 posts, read 795,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"People inviting you over for dinner, which you learn is not to make friends but to get your soul."

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot.
Religious folks trying to get you to convert. Inviting for dinner a common practice for this one, but I'm not going to name it. (Hint, this religion was mentioned before in this thread.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia