U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 AM

8,772 posts, read 10,676,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
People who move here for jobs from very rural settings, or very small towns with little sprawl, certainly don't have to opt for dense Alexandria city. But more than likely wherever they reside for their DC or NOVA job will put them in the midst of traffic, sprawl, and attitudes that they are unaccustomed to and may dislike. It's not just a matter of tightly-packed versus more spread out. It's all the other aspects of life in this area that can be more stressful than where they moved from, but move here they must, to make a living.
but that seems to be conflated with the topic of this thread which is alexandria. I know thread drift is inevitable, but cant' we at least keep the different varieties of self pity soaked, venomous whining seperate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
I'd say about 95 percent of the posts to CD are about compromises.
As is all of life, no matter where you live. Welcome to the real world.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM

"But, if you REALLY think about it...it's the sprawl and traffic that people don't like. I think for most people, making their way to a little density of beautiful architecture, restaurants, generally happy people walking along...is a highlight that makes the rest tolerable.

Without that little spot....it's pretty much sprawl, traffic, and fast-food drive-thrus.'

I hope you move here, we need more like you.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 AM

5,330 posts, read 6,121,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
But, if you REALLY think about it...it's the sprawl and traffic that people don't like. I think for most people, making their way to a little density of beautiful architecture, restaurants, generally happy people walking along...is a highlight that makes the rest tolerable.

Without that little spot....it's just the sprawl, traffic, and fast-food drive-thrus.
I disagree - I know quite a number of people dislike cities or anything close to a city because in their eyes, they see dirt, crime, and a fast pace. A lot of Americans like living set back from their neighbors, with an acre or more of land. They may enjoy going into town or the city for some entertainment, but they'd like to do it without 10,000 other people doing the same thing. I know many Americans who, upon looking at pictures of Europe, don't comment right away on the aesthetics, but instead remark "ugh, look how they live right on top of each other!"

I like the vitality of urban living, but I recognize that it isn't for everyone.

Edit: yes, I'm drifting, so that's enough from me.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 AM

461 posts, read 795,912 times
Quote:
But, if you REALLY think about it...it's the sprawl and traffic that people don't like. I think for most people, making their way to a little density of beautiful architecture, restaurants, generally happy people walking along...is a highlight that makes the rest tolerable.

Without that little spot....then it really is just sprawl, traffic, car-sitting, fast-food restaurants, and walking through parking lots.
This is related to something I was going to add on as to why people are more tolerable in DC (NW). It's a pedestrian environment (you park your car or metro for the day), has long setbacks from the street (unlike Alexandria) and monuments and green space that are good for the soul.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Without that little spot....then it really is just sprawl, traffic, car-sitting, fast-food restaurants, and walking through parking lots.
I hear you saying this... and yet you are not looking at places in DC or Takoma Park or other MD urban areas that have less sprawl and the architectural features you want. Even though you apparently don't have a job yet and can move anywhere you like.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,344,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabethan1558 View Post
HI mr.Toni,
Sorry,i think i did get off the topic a bit much.I did not read to TOS guidelines,i will do my best to stick to them next time.

Brooklyn,i said i know this also happen's in all area's,including the south.I was just putting my perspective out there,what i have personally seen through my own eyes.Of course,we all see thing's differently,i seem to watch everything closely.

But i fully respect everyone's opinion here.Yes,the reason i have to stay until june of next year is because of my hubbie's job,but anyhow,i will smile,take it all in stride,and do my best to make the most of it until next year,

Have a great day all.

Liz
At least you have a move date, so you can get back to a place that you enjoy. What I would do, since the area is not a great fit for you is to play a game with yourself or with your husband whereby you come up with the craziest things that you witness on a daily basis -- be it someone who's pushy, rude, or just generally sarcastic and sour -- that way you can run your own awards and see who gets top billing as the best story that you encounter in the next few months.

Life is too short to push oneself to re-orient their life to a place that will not be a good fit for them, so I can totally agree that some environments are just not conducive for the way one wants to live their own life. If Alexandria, Arlington, or the rest of the region is suffocating you in total, look to find ways to experience it on a micro level. Find some neat little places, be it a tea shop, garden, park, or trail to walk -- ask here for some recommendations if you need to, since people can give you a heads-up as to what's in the area.

Just remember to breathe and laugh, when something seems to be crushing or suffocating, since our environments do affect us insofar as we allow their influence to permeate our mood. Take the environment and give it a positive, comical spin for you. People watching can be fun, and I am sure that you could construct scenarios or stories about the people you encounter and how they would fit in your hometown, or why they seem to act the way that they do, with comical results. Laughter can easily make the minutes fly by, so I would really try to interject humor into the daily scenes that might be getting you down. Imagine yourself as the other person, acting as they do, and give yourself a good laugh if you were ever to act like that either here or in your hometown, and imagine people's reactions.

Experiences are always valid, and while people may not agree as to what an area best represents, we know how if affects us. For you, Northern Virginia might not be the best fit, but I am sure there are people who know you here that are happy that you were here, if only for a brief period.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 AM

15,924 posts, read 36,035,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I hear you saying this... and yet you are not looking at places in DC or Takoma Park or other MD urban areas that have less sprawl and the architectural features you want. Even though you apparently don't have a job yet and can move anywhere you like.
I AM looking at DC and Takoma Park/Silver Spring

I'm also a dad, a husband, and have a strong penchant for Asian cuisine...so NOVA interests me as well.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I AM looking at DC and Takoma Park/Silver Spring

I'm also a dad, a husband, and have a strong penchant for Asian cuisine...so NOVA interests me as well.
Glad to hear it. Don't get me wrong, if you do decide to move here I'm happy to welcome you. But it just sounds like DC would be a much, much better fit for you. I have a feeling Falls Church will not be urban enough for you, and they have traffic problems there, too.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 AM

"I know quite a number of people dislike cities or anything close to a city because in their eyes, they see dirt, crime, and a fast pace. A lot of Americans like living set back from their neighbors, with an acre or more of land. "

But old town alex is particularly dirty, isnt particularly crime ridden (not in the core of it at any rate) and is not all that fast paced.

Oh, and a lot of them like an acre of land WITHIN commuting distance of a big city, and then complain when the roads are crowded. They like to complain about "sprawl" oddly enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia