U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,041,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Crime is imminent?

I'm walking and bicycling distance from Parker Gray. I've been in my house for 6 years, and haven't had one instance of crime. I even accidentally left my garage door open all night once, with its interior light on. Nothing was taken (and there's plenty to take). Not that I'd do that again, but still.
It's funny you mention that. Tonight as I was heading up Route 1, I passed by a townhouse development catty-corner from the some of the public housing. Among the houses parked in the street was a Hummer. That might speak to the comfort level that some of the TH residents have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,041,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
To be honest, I intellectually do "get it" but just don't feel it. I know that there are people who think that living in a crowded, dangerous area and surviving is something to be proud of. They feel like leaving their garage door open at night without having something stolen is an accomplishment. This is not the case in many parts of NOVA.
I suppose there will be those that continue to agree to disagree with your general perception above. Granted, I would never purposely leave a garage door open - or doors unlocked in general - no matter where I lived, let alone a small city. However, many suburbs here are rather crowded as well. And "danger" is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Although Alexandria isn't very walkable to the Metro or to many business destinations, criminals on foot can reach pretty much anywhere in the city.
I'm sorry but you appear to be contradicting yourself here. How can a city that is not walkable for commuters be so for would-be criminals? If I'm understanding your walkability definition correctly, Arlington would come to closest to qualifying. But I would imagine that the ART and Metro buses - if not a car at times - become necessary to get around there just as DASH and Metro buses do for Alexandria.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 PM

461 posts, read 795,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I suppose there will be those that continue to agree to disagree with your general perception above. Granted, I would never purposely leave a garage door open - or doors unlocked in general - no matter where I lived, let alone a small city. However, many suburbs here are rather crowded as well. And "danger" is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm sorry but you appear to be contradicting yourself here. How can a city that is not walkable for commuters be so for would-be criminals? If I'm understanding your walkability definition correctly, Arlington would come to closest to qualifying. But I would imagine that the ART and Metro buses - if not a car at times - become necessary to get around there just as DASH and Metro buses do for Alexandria.
I'm just saying that Ax has a poor design. The Metro is something like 20 blocks from the waterfront and the housing isn't especially near the small job base of nonprofits (generally near the Metro and waterfront). On the other hand, low income housing is woven in with expensive housing, which is the signature of Arlington. Sure, you can get on foot and go anywhere if you have the gumption due to it's size and density if you want to commit a crime. Doubtful that you'd want to walk 25 minutes every day to the train.

If I dug out the stats, there is a lot more crime in Ax than the lower density places like Great Falls or Clifton. Surely you aren't trying to say that crime is the same in Ax as it is in so many of suburbs of Fx.

In the '90s gangs in Ax used to go on "wildings" where they'd rove and just attack anyone they saw. The classic suburban style neighborhoods with 1/3 to 2 acre lot housing just doesn't have the density to allow for that, or for foot bound crime to travel so well in general.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 AM

3,155 posts, read 8,095,633 times
Quote:
Here's a marker. In neighborhing Arlington and just about anywhere else in NOVA, you can open the door and walk into a business. Only in Alexandria do clerks sitting at desks right in front of the door have to buzz you in.
Where is this? I've never seen this in Alexandria.

And if you're talking about a doctor's office in an apartment or office building, that's common in Arlington or any city area.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 AM

461 posts, read 795,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Where is this? I've never seen this in Alexandria.

And if you're talking about a doctor's office in an apartment or office building, that's common in Arlington or any city area.
There will be a glass door and you can look right in at the person at the front desk, and they have to glance up at you and buzz you in. Or, yes, there might be restricted outside access with a locked door where you have to get buzzed in after talking to an intercom. I'm not talking about apartment buildings.

Yes, it's common in areas like DC where crime is high. It is not common in most of NOVA. Good point, though. Ax is a little DC in many ways without its benefits.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 AM

5,330 posts, read 6,120,605 times
Quote:
Woah. I used to think that my points were well-reasoned
And many of us would vigorously disagree with that. They're not "well-reasoned", they're based on your personal preferences and personal dislike of Alexandria. You also have a beef about Alexandria being a popular place with high ratings for liveability because you personally disagree. Moderator cut: Not necessary

We get that you don't like Alexandria. Many don't agree that your dislikes have any basis in empirical fact that would be convincing to others to also dislike it, or change their minds. Houses are close to the street? Yes. Houses are so close to the street it's claustrophobic? Sorry, that's your personal problem.

I like living close to neighbors. I like when I come out of my house, I can see my neighbor in his yard and walk over and talk, or just wave hello. I don't see it as a point of pride that somehow I'm surviving the experience, as you put it. I'm not slumming or gaining "street cred" for making it in a tough hood, the way you characterize it. I don't feel it's an accomplishment for having nothing stolen out of my garage, why on earth would you put it that way? I'm just saying that your contention that crime is a certain consequence of life in Alexandria is wrong.

Also, I have never encountered a business in Alexandria where I had to be buzzed in. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I've been to many businesses here and haven't found a one like that.

In all my 35 years of living in NoVA and DC, I've been a victim of crime twice, once in Rossyln, once in Clarendon. Crime is possible anywhere. Isolated places like Great Falls may not have many muggings, but home burglaries and home invasions do occur.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-22-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Let's stick to the topic at hand. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:39 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
It's funny you mention that. Tonight as I was heading up Route 1, I passed by a townhouse development catty-corner from the some of the public housing. Among the houses parked in the street was a Hummer. That might speak to the comfort level that some of the TH residents have.
Good point. I've seen lots of nice cars out on the street. If you're willing to let your Boxster stay out on the street, it can't be that bad.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 AM

8,772 posts, read 10,674,733 times
Quote:
Here's a marker. In neighborhing Arlington and just about anywhere else in NOVA, you can open the door and walk into a business. Only in Alexandria do clerks sitting at desks right in front of the door have to buzz you in. This is similar to high-crime DC where the rate of undesirables (criminals) is very high and you don't want them wandering in, because they do.

Ive been going to Old town on a regular basis since 1992, I used to work there, and I have never seen this in Alexandria.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:18 AM

8,772 posts, read 10,674,733 times
Quote:
Doubtful that you'd want to walk 25 minutes every day to the train.
That would be a very healthy lifestyle. You are aware that you are much more likely to die of a heart attack than to be killed by a murderer, eh? I guess someone happy to live where walking down the street makes you look suspicious might not feel that way.

I would also note, per Google maps, the distance from the Torpedo factory (as close to the water as you can get) to 1800 Diagonal rd (right across the street from the metro) is 1.1 miles. Perhaps you need to walk faster? I would also note that most of the housing in old town Alex is rather further west than the Torpedo factory.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:03 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,830,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Ive been going to Old town on a regular basis since 1992, I used to work there, and I have never seen this in Alexandria.
Actually, we have that at my office, but it's not a retail establishment, and it's a TH arrangement. As a small firm, we don't have the people on staff to man the front desk continually and don't want folks walking in without our knowing it. By buzzing folks in, we can get downstairs and manage the appointments, and keep walk-ins and deliveries, etc., running smoothly.

And like any office complex, there is a certain criminal element that will try to walk in and grab something. I saw it many times when I worked in the Tysons area at different offices there and helped chase a guy out of the building one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia