Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:53 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,498,584 times

Advertisements

Hmm, makes me wonder if there's posts about every other jurisdiction in the area by Mr. FairfaxGuy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:46 PM

461 posts, read 906,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Hmm, makes me wonder if there's posts about every other jurisdiction in the area by Mr. FairfaxGuy.
If anyone wants a review of a NOVA area, your humble servant would be happy to oblige (hat removed and bow).

To stay on topic, I will proudly say that I haven't been forced to visit that overrated, claustrophobic, arrogant, angry, congested red little burb in several months. How I don't miss the sound of shotguns and people off their heads on drugs as I walk to Braddock Metro Station. Or the shops where people have to buzz you in, but awww how quaint. How wonderful those 5x5 brick porches are for affluent white professionals with a heart of gold for minorities -- until after dark when they call the police on them at a whim.

Oh, the police are great too. They'll arrest anyone for any reason. Keeps em off the street you know. You won't believe me, of course because you know how fair our system really is even though you have no real experience with it.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 PM

8,976 posts, read 21,074,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
If anyone wants a review of a NOVA area, your humble servant would be happy to oblige (hat removed and bow).

To stay on topic, I will proudly say that I haven't been forced to visit that overrated, claustrophobic, arrogant, angry, congested red little burb in several months. How I don't miss the sound of shotguns and people off their heads on drugs as I walk to Braddock Metro Station. Or the shops where people have to buzz you in, but awww how quaint. How wonderful those 5x5 brick porches are for affluent white professionals with a heart of gold for minorities -- until after dark when they call the police on them at a whim.

Oh, the police are great too. They'll arrest anyone for any reason. Keeps em off the street you know. You won't believe me, of course because you know how fair our system really is even though you have no real experience with it.
Maybe it's because I live in an apartment building and not a house but I can't relate to any of those things you talk about. I'm particularly curious about the Braddock Road Metro station comments. Did this happen late at night? That certainly hasn't been my experience during the daytime. As it is, they're building a new townhome community in the nearby Parker-Gray area on land that used to be public housing.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:04 PM

26,683 posts, read 41,557,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post

And I'm proud to say that I am now four months removed from that overrated, claustrophobic, arrogant, angry, congested red little burb.

But on the police, I'd much rather have Alexandria cops to deal with than Fairfax County's Barney Fifes.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
And I'm proud to say that I am now four months removed from that overrated, claustrophobic, arrogant, angry, congested red little burb.

But on the police, I'd much rather have Alexandria cops to deal with than Fairfax County's Barney Fifes.
Good point. Barney Fife with a license to kill. Thirty years or never that a cop has gotten in trouble for killing an unarmed person. Scary man.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,566,513 times
Love love love Old Town. We lived there for four years - renting - but had to move out because we couldn't afford a big enough house with a baby there. I still hope we can afford to move back someday. I think it's beautiful, genuinely historic, lively and interesting. I love the city-ish feel and I think it's actually very pedestrian-friendly below route 1. I mean, some of the roads are still stone! No one drives fast down there. Also haven't seen any drug freaks around, and the "projects" are pretty much isolated in the north end. Don't know why the poster hates it so much - sounds like misplaced anger.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,199,839 times
I was writing a detailed rebuttal, but gave up, the original post is too preposterous. Guy can't even distinguish between Alexandria the city and Fairfax County Route 1 when he lambastes living conditions, police, etc, so one can't even tell which place he's talking about from one post to the next. One paragraph it's Hybla Valley or thereabouts, the next Old Town.

I especially liked his claim that the 17th century sidewalks blocked out the sun.

I lived in Clarendon/Courthouse, Rossyln, Ballston, Kalorama, and Van Ness before moving to Alexandria. Old Town has a vitality and essence that, of the other places I've lived, I can only compare to DC. I'd prefer upper Connecticut Ave (I think, maybe not any more), but not Arlington over Alexandria.

And I loved living in Arlington at the time, but if I wanted to be like FairfaxGuy, I could post how Arlington is a dive full of eyesores and used car lots (more back in the day than now, and they were fronts for drug dealers), and how there were drug sales and gunshots across from my house on N. Barton less than half a mile from Courthouse.

Alexandria is a great place to live if you don't want large-lot cul-de-sac suburbia. People are out and about, walking dogs, dining, kicking back at Founder's Park, tending their impatiens... oops, forgot, FairfaxGuy thinks that's something dank or malevolent.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Love love love Old Town. We lived there for four years - renting - but had to move out because we couldn't afford a big enough house with a baby there. I still hope we can afford to move back someday. I think it's beautiful, genuinely historic, lively and interesting. I love the city-ish feel and I think it's actually very pedestrian-friendly below route 1. I mean, some of the roads are still stone! No one drives fast down there. Also haven't seen any drug freaks around, and the "projects" are pretty much isolated in the north end. Don't know why the poster hates it so much - sounds like misplaced anger.
I totally respect your opinion but have to disagree about the drivers esp if you've ever used a bike. Drivers think they're still on the Beltway. I've talked to many folks about this, one who frequently complained about even the bus drivers who will murder a cyclist. If there's a car in Ax and you're a pedestrian or in something smaller, get out of the way fast. I almost got killed (truck seeing my hand signal to turn and beating me at my risk) and then almost mangled (truck backing up in a hurry) in a two block distance.

As for misplaced anger, please read my previous posts. I provide examples and reasoned points.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM

384 posts, read 1,025,131 times
Default Cuteness at a cost

I tried to muster the strength to defend Old Town, but alas, could not. I don't live in Old Town, but live in the 'unfashionable and forgotten' section of this little city. I think they have great homes there but I couldn't deal with the occasional flooding, historic/moldering homes, and darwinian parking situation. The Alexandria Police are tops in my book. They have handled the occasional hostage situation in my neighborhood very professionally.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Guy can't even distinguish between Alexandria the city and Fairfax County Route 1..

I especially liked his claim that the 17th century sidewalks blocked out the sun.
This is your great rebuttal? Route 1 just below the Beltway is an Alexandria address. If you live outside of Alexandria city limits, you still call it Alexandria. That's what I'm referring to, as well as the city proper. Boy, you really put me in my place.

Old Town _is_ claustrophobic. You're surrounded by red brick, and can't even see the river until you step off the the backside of the Torpedo Factory, feet away from falling in it. So many pictures of Alexandria are from five stories high so you can see the river. The city's web page even used to use one. That's because everything is blocked out by the buildings.

As for the sun, the setbacks of the buildings from the street in Arlington are much farther back than Alexandria. This is because Alexandria has older buildings that simply can't be destroyed to allow for more road space. Also why congestion is so bad. Relatively narrow streets that can't widen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia