U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 11:34 AM

2,132 posts, read 4,529,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"Ax kept the Metro out because they didn't want a bad element coming in. "

actually I think the path of the RR right of way the metro uses had more to do with the metro route. At the time the metro system was laid out in the late 60s early 70s, old town was pretty much ALL "bad elements"

Perhaps you are thinking of Georgetown?

Georgetown Never Blocked Metro Stop

DC Mythbusting: Georgetown Metro Stop

Suggested reading: The Great Society Subway: A History of the Washington Metro by Zachary M. Schrag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:14 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,362,426 times
I love Alexandria. Pretty neighborhoods, nice shops, nice people.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:22 AM

461 posts, read 779,016 times
For anyone not familiar with Old Town Alexandria, please do not be led to believe that getting into and out of the area is anything but VERY DIFFICULT. From someone who has made the weary journey from King Street Metro dozens of times, there are none of the old streets and buildings, and none of the quaint restaurants that one associates with Old Town for at least a mile.

The area around the station is a true accomplishment in providing little to visitors. You have to walk a confusing route down Diagonal Blvd, around forbidding office building edifices and modern art to make your way to King Street and begin the journey. It's easy to get confused and find yourself in an auto jungle in the middle of no where. Once on King Street, unless you have business with places like Sun Trust Bank monolithically nestled along with other monolithic office structures, you won't find much for several blocks until you reach a seedy bar that most would fear to tread.

For those with disabilities or the patience to sit on a bench for half an hour for a lumbering bus to pick you up, this may be an option. For those not physically impared, however, it just doesn't make sense to commute to a Metro Station, ride the Metro, and then wait again for a bus. It can take two hours to get yourself to Old Town from many parts of NOVA. As a former frequent visitor, I found the trolley of no use. Also, the bus system, like most in neighboring Fairfax County is something to be avoided. Who wants to wait?

The best way to get in and out of Old Town, really, it to drive. Leave extra time for circling around blocks to find parallel parking. Eventually, something will open up. Be wary of the many spots designated for residents (nearly always full too anyway) and the ubiquitous white signs for special uses just on the day that you want to park there. Read the parking signs well, especially the times when you are allowed to park.(Often difficult to do until you have already parked.) The police in Old Town are ever on the prowl to ticket. Still, with all of these drawbacks, driving will save you much time.

Last edited by FairfaxGuy73; 09-19-2010 at 12:41 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 AM

15,719 posts, read 34,814,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
For anyone not familiar with Old Town Alexandria, please do not be led to believe that getting into and out of the area is anything but VERY DIFFICULT. From someone who has made the weary journey from King Street Metro dozens of times, there are none of the old streets and buildings, and none of the quaint restaurants that one associates with Old Town for at least a mile.

The area around the station is a true accomplishment in providing little to visitors. You have to walk a confusing route down Diagonal Blvd, around forbidding office building edifices and modern art to make your way to King Street and begin the journey. It's easy to get confused and find yourself in an auto jungle in the middle of no where. Once on King Street, unless you have business with places like Sun Trust Bank monolithically nestled along with other monolithic office structures, you won't find much for several blocks until you reach a seedy bar that most would fear to tread.

For those with disabilities or the patience to sit on a bench for half an hour for a lumbering bus to pick you up, this may be an option. For those not physically impared, however, it just doesn't make sense to commute to a Metro Station, ride the Metro, and then wait again for a bus. It can take two hours to get yourself to Old Town from many parts of NOVA. As a former frequent visitor, I found the trolley of no use. Also, the bus system, like most others in Fairfax County is something to be avoided. Who wants to wait?

The best way to get in and out of Old Town, really, it to drive. Leave extra time for circling around blocks to find parallel parking. Eventually, something will open up. Be wary of the many spots designated for residents (nearly always full too anyway) and the ubiquitous white signs for special uses just on the day that you want to park there. Read the parking signs well, especially the times when you are allowed to park.(Often difficult to do until you have already parked.) The police in Old Town are ever on the prowl to ticket. Still, with all of these drawbacks, driving will save you much time.
Excellent post - I was just going to ask about the subway stations of Alexandria, etc.

One thing I've been wondering quite a bit...I always hear of ALEXANDRIA being DC-like, but I also always hear of 'OLD TOWN'...and to a lesser extent 'DEL RAY'. What about the REST of Alexandria?

Does it have any of the density of 'Old Town', or does it just become very suburban-like everywhere else?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,115,762 times
Very interesting links! It's funny how rumors get started about nimbyism blocking the metro when, in truth, the metro was never even considered for Georgetown for practical reasons.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:49 PM

7,961 posts, read 17,640,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
I can see how it would be confusing and long for those who choose to walk from the Metro to the quainter areas. However, during my time working and living here, I discovered or witnessed ways to improve that trip that I will expound upon below.

Actually, instead of walking across the parking lot to Diagonal Road, you can make a left from the Metro exit and head past the buses to the crosswalk on King Street. RE: Seedy bars, I'm honestly confused as to which bar you are referring to. Hard Times Cafe? Rock It Grill? O'Shaugnessey's Pub? Tiffany Tavern? The first three are open for lunch and are busy serving nearby workers. I visited the Tiffany Tavern one night before I moved to the area and it was far from seedy. I will agree that the red brick theme in Old Town can get monotonous for those who aren't thrilled with it.

For those with disabilities or the patience to sit on a bench for half an hour for a lumbering bus to pick you up, this may be an option. For those not physically impared, however, it just doesn't make sense to commute to a Metro Station, ride the Metro, and then wait again for a bus. It can take two hours to get yourself to Old Town from many parts of NOVA. As a former frequent visitor, I found the trolley of no use. Also, the bus system, like most in neighboring Fairfax County is something to be avoided. Who wants to wait?

There are at least four DASH bus routes that run down most of King Street in addition to the free King Street trolley. I can't believe that DASH would schedule all of those buses a half hour apart. Like all transit buses in the area, DASH buses are accomodating for those who need assistance entering. The King Street trolley does come every 20 minutes and is very reliable. Also, there are two DASH buses that leave from the Braddock Road Metro that head closer to the waterfront area and east of Washington St. I believe if it would take someone two hours to get to Old Town, it would likely take them a similar amount of time to get to Arlington or DC. I don't think that those who live within a Kiss-and-Ride/short bus distance from a Metro station would have that issue.

IMO the worst way to get around Old Town is to drive. It's a slow ride, particularly if you're on King Street behind the trolley and all of the DASH buses .As you inferred, on-street parking is indeed limited although there are at least a couple parking lots east of Washington/north of King.
Beyond having to already endure a long commute to a Metro station or preferring the ample parking usually found in the suburbs, I find it difficult to find common ground with you on this subject.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 PM

23 posts, read 26,777 times
I have wanted to say this for a long time,but as in turn,this is my personal opinion.I have lived in Arlington for about 5 yrs. now,and this area remind's me of a large garbage dumpster.Everyone stacked on top of each other like sadines in a can.I stopped at the stop light the other day,and was observing a man and lady mowing thier tiny strip of grass.I could not help but laugh to myself.
The house they lived in was split down the middle,it was an old house that had 2 parts to it,one family lived on the other side.

I heard one lady say,"We got a good deal on this place,we payed around 350 for it." I was thinking,"350,000!!??" For the tincan with one sprig of brown grass??" I just can't take it.I can not live like this.It makes me litterally sick to my stomach thinking about living like that and expect to be happy.Not including the over mass influx of people and illegal's in this area growing and bursting at the seams.The gross traffic.

Yes,my post may have a bit of overcast feel,but this is how i have been feeling ever since i was dragged her to live because of my husband's job.I just hate it here.I have become very depressed.This place is perfect example for divorces as this area produces unhealthy,uptight,overworked exhausted people.

Please don't take this as i am making fun of anyone,i'm not.But it felt good to get that out and say how i truely feel.

Take care

Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 PM

461 posts, read 779,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabethan1558 View Post
I stopped at the stop light the other day,and was observing a man and lady mowing thier tiny strip of grass.I could not help but laugh to myself. The house they lived in was split down the middle,it was an old house that had 2 parts to it,one family lived on the other side.

I heard one lady say,"We got a good deal on this place,we payed around 350 for it." I was thinking,"350,000!!??" For the tincan with one sprig of brown grass??"
I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, and I do like Arlington, but this is exactly what I'm talking about.

For those moving into the area, they might benefit from knowing that life does not have to be like this. There are options to get into work without having to live on a postage stamp piece of land. These overpriced, overrated, cramped little places are bad for the human psyche, and worse for raising children.

I wish you well and hope that your situation improves. (Maybe by moving farther out perhaps.)

Old 09-19-2010, 09:44 PM

3,164 posts, read 5,996,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Very interesting links! It's funny how rumors get started about nimbyism blocking the metro when, in truth, the metro was never even considered for Georgetown for practical reasons.
That is SO true! People love to dump on rich people, so myths like this flourish. It seems people want to think the worst of those of those who have been successful.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 PM

3,164 posts, read 5,996,165 times
[quote=Elizabethan1558;15952546]I have wanted to say this for a long time,but as in turn,this is my personal opinion.I have lived in Arlington for about 5 yrs. now,and this area remind's me of a large garbage dumpster.Everyone stacked on top of each other like sadines in a can.I stopped at the stop light the other day,and was observing a man and lady mowing thier tiny strip of grass.I could not help but laugh to myself.
The house they lived in was split down the middle,it was an old house that had 2 parts to it,one family lived on the other side.

I heard one lady say,"We got a good deal on this place,we payed around 350 for it." I was thinking,"350,000!!??" For the tincan with one sprig of brown grass??" I just can't take it.I can not live like this.It makes me litterally sick to my stomach thinking about living like that and expect to be happy.Not including the over mass influx of people and illegal's in this area growing and bursting at the seams.The gross traffic.<<<

I am so sorry that you have to live this way and feel this way. Is there any way that you can get out to the suburbs, or even the exburbs? I live out in the country, with some land, and my life is nothing like that, no traffic, no crime, and no illegals. I hope that you can find a similar place that brings you some peace and comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia