Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 PM

261 posts, read 738,773 times

Advertisements

I experienced the misery of metro travel during the recent heat wave, and cannot imagine how awful it will be in July and August. Having read the above posts, I'm still wondering how folks cope with the heat.

What, especially, do men do when they have to wear a suit and tie to work and there are not shower/changing facilities at the office? Do even the more conservative offices permit summer business casual attire? When I used to travel to south FL on business I saw many men wearing short sleeve linen shirts and cotton slacks for the summer (including lawyers and bankers.) In NOLA the only change I noticed was that summer suits were seersucker instead of worsted wool.

Do the security patrols prevent people from bringing water bottles on the trains? Would a small battery-powered fan be okay to use? I think I need to put together a care package with cold packs, personal misting fans, water bottles w/ ice inserts, talc, etc. to ship up to NoVA. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 AM

248 posts, read 700,860 times
Spend three weeks in the Philippines where the average high is 95F EVERYDAY....

Then I come back and the heat feels like nothing.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:37 AM

261 posts, read 738,773 times
Quote:
Spend three weeks in the Philippines where the average high is 95F EVERYDAY....
Yeah, so helpful. I've spent most of my life in various FL cities, NOLA, and AL. I know about heat and humidity. In none of those places did I have to commute in an overcrowded and nearly airless train. Even when I rode the streetcar during NOLA summers there was a bit of breeze that made it tolerable.

My concern is for a relative who's prone to heat exhaustion/heat stroke. I was told that yesterday a woman fainted while a very stuffy Orange line train was stuck and EMTs had to be summoned. It wouldn't surprise me if that's a daily event in the summer.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times
Some people just can't handle the heat,me I love it, I thrive in it, I was built for the heat...like the old Glenn Frey song "The heat is on!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia