U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:02 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,119,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
It was 1 cent per $1,000 assessed or about 1 percent. Not so large really.
That is not true. The BOS voted to raise the tax rate 5 cents, from $1.04 to $1.09. Fairfax County Supervisors Agree on Budget With $1.09 Tax Rate | Falls Church News-Press Online

Still a bargain, compared to Loudoun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:05 PM

17 posts, read 20,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
That is not true. The BOS voted to raise the tax rate 5 cents, from $1.04 to $1.09. Fairfax County Supervisors Agree on Budget With $1.09 Tax Rate | Falls Church News-Press Online

Still a bargain, compared to Loudoun.
On average, Loudoun homes are worth less though...especially when you compared the high end areas between the two counties.

Schools are not as good either, and jobs not as abundant.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Why the language about "complaining"? I'm just not sure what the county is up to for reasons mentioned above. Moderator cut: Argumentative
Moderator cut: Orphaned fragment We're not sure what your point is in this thread. Do think the county is trying to do something tricky by lowering most people's assessment? What might their goal be in doing that? Or are you saying that county wide house prices went up in 2009 and the BOS didn't notice, for some unknown reason? Again, do you have any evidence to support this county wide increase in house values? Again, what do you think their goal is in under valuing real estate?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-04-2010 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text/removed orphaned fragment

Old 05-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlegend69 View Post
On average, Loudoun homes are worth less though...especially when you compared the high end areas between the two counties.

Schools are not as good either, and jobs not as abundant.
If I lived in Fairfax county, in a house valued exactly the same, I would pay $2,500 less in taxes. Seems like a bargain to me!

Some schools in Loudoun are better than some schools in Fairfax. It all depends on the neighborhood. Richer areas always have better schools, smart kids in--smart kids out!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,956 times
Quote:
It was 1 cent per $1,000 assessed or about 1 percent. Not so large really.
Denton is right, it went up from $1.04 to $1.09. And it's per $100 assessed value, not $1,000.

As for the assessments, they do it by comparable neighborhood sales, not necessarily an entire zip code.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 PM

Moderator cut: Orphaned sentence

I assumed that you had read the county website that explains how they determine assessed value. It's based on what has recently sold in your neighborhood. Click on the little button on your assessment page that says ''neighborhood sales''. It has a little house icon. That will show you what they used for comparables to determine the value of your house.

Sheeze, it would have helped if you had asked that in the beginning. Or read the county website that explains it. Real Estate Tax - Frequently Asked Questions*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-04-2010 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned sentence, refers to earlier post that was removed.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM

461 posts, read 796,207 times
Quote:

I assumed that you had read the county website that explains how they determine assessed value. It's based on what has recently sold in your neighborhood. Click on the little button on your assessment page that says ''neighborhood sales''. It has a little house icon. That will show you what they used for comparables to determine the value of your house.

Sheeze, it would have helped if you had asked that in the beginning. Or read the county website that explains it. Real Estate Tax - Frequently Asked Questions*- Fairfax County, Virginia
I did read it, which is why I posted about it above and asked that no one comment on it, because I was aware of it.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:

Here. It's right below my initial post:

"BTW, no need to mention anything on the department's FAQ page. I know they say that 80 percent of properties have gone down in value, but when you look at an area where the property values have been going up and and the county assesses houses for less, it just doesn't make sense."

Old 05-05-2010, 04:43 AM

Wow, I'm still amazed that Fairfax raised taxes by 5 cents, when they had been talking about 1 cent for a long time. I suspect that they're bringing in the values on the low side due to criticism. How much this translates into buyers seeing the low assessments and feeling like they should pay less is an unanswered question. As mentioned before, my zip code went up in value which can be seen by online records with the price per square foot and overall sales, but houses in my neighborhood, at least the ones that I've checked came in lower according to FC.

I don't know if this is the case for others or not.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:55 AM

There is a commercial website that has real estate values, which I'll dig up if someone doesn't beat me to it. I thought that residential values went up for Fairfax County by the end of 2009. Are we still losing value even with the first time buyer's credit? Amazing.

It could be that FCDTA is using the overall average to base their assessments on, rather than end-of-year values. There are a lot of ways you can cook numbers. I'm not selling, but for those who may be, I know that people do look at county assessments when buying and this may have an effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia