Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:10 AM

7,489 posts, read 7,156,393 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the Centreville Crossing condo community currently being built in Centreville, behind the Centreville library? Looking for any and all feedback; when did they start construction, have prices been stable, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 11:39 AM

12 posts, read 31,957 times
a friend of mine is under contract to buy a house there, they are still building his , slated to deliver end of June....the builder(ryland) offered him some free upgrades...the layout is really spacious 2328sqft...not sure about the prices or stability in the area....

Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 PM

Great to hear! Would love any information you can find out from them or maybe email me directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkprl View Post
a friend of mine is under contract to buy a house there, they are still building his , slated to deliver end of June....the builder(ryland) offered him some free upgrades...the layout is really spacious 2328sqft...not sure about the prices or stability in the area....

Old 05-06-2010, 04:03 PM

97 posts, read 321,096 times
They are not in the best area of Centreville, although the location is convenient to 66, 29 and 28.

I can't quote you actual prices, but it seems to me that they tried to sell these condos as the market has been falling, so I'm guessing their prices have fallen pretty significantly from where they were when they started selling them.

You can buy a nice townhouse in Centreville for under 250K. It won't be new, but you will own it fee simple and avoid the high condo fees. I'm generally not a fan of condos, so I do have a bias, but I think a townhouse in Centreville would be a better investment than one of these condos.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 PM

Can you elaborate on how they are "not in the best area of Centreville"?

Think they started selling them right when the real estate market was crashing so the prices have leveled out; the comparable model was selling in Fair Lakes in the low $500,000's at the peak if you can imagine. Their top model is around $350,000 nicely equipped plus $25K in incentives.

Condo/HOA fee is only $207 which is excellent.

Actually have a townhouse now in Fairfax and want to downsize; with nearly 3,000 sq ft and exterior maintenance, looking to simplify things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmonkey View Post
They are not in the best area of Centreville, although the location is convenient to 66, 29 and 28.

I can't quote you actual prices, but it seems to me that they tried to sell these condos as the market has been falling, so I'm guessing their prices have fallen pretty significantly from where they were when they started selling them.

You can buy a nice townhouse in Centreville for under 250K. It won't be new, but you will own it fee simple and avoid the high condo fees. I'm generally not a fan of condos, so I do have a bias, but I think a townhouse in Centreville would be a better investment than one of these condos.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:58 PM

323 posts, read 508,583 times
Absolutely nothing wrong with that area. There was an apartment complex that was razed to make room for those condos that had a sordid history, but I believe most of those people were chased out of the area. You will still see a large number of day-laborers from the neighboring complex waiting in front of the library for work, but I'm not aware of any statistically significant crime in the area. Lots of really nice neighborhoods and condo complexes in the immediate vicinity and the ease of access to 28, 29, and 66 is hard to beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Can you elaborate on how they are "not in the best area of Centreville"?

Think they started selling them right when the real estate market was crashing so the prices have leveled out; the comparable model was selling in Fair Lakes in the low $500,000's at the peak if you can imagine. Their top model is around $350,000 nicely equipped plus $25K in incentives.

Condo/HOA fee is only $207 which is excellent.

Actually have a townhouse now in Fairfax and want to downsize; with nearly 3,000 sq ft and exterior maintenance, looking to simplify things.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:17 PM

Funny you should mention the "day-laborers from the neighboring complex" as that is exactly what I noticed today when I drove around there, but couldn't figure it out.

Which "neighboring complex" are they coming from?

Has it gotten better or is this something that is likely to always exist there?

Is that actually allowed by the county or considered loitering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with that area. There was an apartment complex that was razed to make room for those condos that had a sordid history, but I believe most of those people were chased out of the area. You will still see a large number of day-laborers from the neighboring complex waiting in front of the library for work, but I'm not aware of any statistically significant crime in the area. Lots of really nice neighborhoods and condo complexes in the immediate vicinity and the ease of access to 28, 29, and 66 is hard to beat.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:32 PM

323 posts, read 508,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Funny you should mention the "day-laborers from the neighboring complex" as that is exactly what I noticed today when I drove around there, but couldn't figure it out.

Which "neighboring complex" are they coming from?

Has it gotten better or is this something that is likely to always exist there?

Is that actually allowed by the county or considered loitering?
I believe many live in the next complex down on St. Germain (don't know the name off the top of my head). It's not a bad neighborhood, just older and low rent. The other bordering condo complex, Sanderling, is nice. If you do a satellite view on google maps you can see the complex that used to stand where the new condos are being built (you'll note it's empty, as those buildings stood vacant for a while before they cleared them and started the new construction).

The day-laborers started gathering there in the early-2000s. It's not as bad as it was during the midst of the housing boom, but there's still quite a few (they also gather at the Giant down the street). I don't know of any law that prevents them from gathering there, and if there is, it's very poorly enforced. Absent some major initiative by the county, I think they'll continue to gather there.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:43 PM

97 posts, read 321,096 times
I was mostly referring to the gathering site for day laborers. While most of the lower end housing was knocked out for the condos, I believe there is still some in left in that little area, but I could be wrong.

Also, the shopping center across the street often has shady looking people hanging out. There used to be a bar there (I think it's gone, but again, could be wrong...), and that bar attracted a good bit of loitering outside in the late evenings right across the street from the condos. You still some some of the residuals of this pattern.

I love Centreville, but that area of it right where those condos are would not be my choice of spot to live.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:30 AM

309 posts, read 828,233 times
I used to cut down that street on my way to New Braddock and laborers would be standing on the curb. Not my favorite area as a Mother to a young child, but the location is good. I wonder how this compares to the condos in Faircrest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia