U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 11,811 times

Advertisements

I'm about to get some windows replaced and have the option of paying extra ($55-$85) per window for special lead paint containment or getting lead paint tested. If the test is negative, we would save the per window cost. If it is positive, we would have to pay that anyway plus disclose the lead paint results to future buyers.

I'm trying to get a sense for whether lead paint was used by home builders in Lake Ridge/Woodbridge, VA in 1971. The specific area I'm interested in is the Harbor Drive community of single family homes.

Do you any of you live in this area and did you test for lead paint? What were the results?

I'm also interested if anyone knows whether or how much a positive lead paint disclosure might affect resale value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,621,874 times
If a home was built before 1978, there is possibility that lead based paint was used. Get a test done. If I were representing a buyer, I would advise the buyer to have this test done, especially if they have small children or plan to have children. It would certainly affect the sale if lead based paint were used, I would add a contingency to the contract that remediation be done or no sale.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the reply Margery. Perhaps you can answer my specific question about how lead paint may affect home value. If your buyer did a test and found lead paint was one of the bottom layers of paint, since painted over, in an otherwise good condition home (no renovations needed or chipping paint, etc.), how would that affect the value?

Would it be any different if the current owners never did a test and thus had no knowledge to disclose verses if they did and disclosed it?

In my case, I'm trying to weigh the liability of the knowledge. In either case the window replacements will be done to meet the lead containment regulations so I'm no so much concerned about the specific health hazard.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:16 PM

2,672 posts, read 6,229,831 times
Is this special lead paint containment "feature" new requirement? I live in 22192 and had some windows replaced about 3 years ago and the company made no mention of it. It was an established company as well. Or is this something that this company in particular is doing?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Is this special lead paint containment "feature" new requirement? I live in 22192 and had some windows replaced about 3 years ago and the company made no mention of it. It was an established company as well. Or is this something that this company in particular is doing?
It is a new regulation that went into effect last month and requires more stringent lead containment on contractors working on homes built earlier than 1978.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:31 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,683,523 times
Good to know...is this a VA rule or nationwide?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:50 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,621,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Good to know...is this a VA rule or nationwide?
It is an EPA regulation, so it is nationwide. You can google EPA lead based paint regulation for the full story.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM

For the record, I did get my windows and doors tested for lead using XRF gun and they found no lead.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:31 PM

2,672 posts, read 6,229,831 times
What do they charge? Do they have a website?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
What do they charge? Do they have a website?
It was Ecosystems Environmental Services, Inc. based in Montpelier, VA. The cost was $225 for all the windows or $250 for all windows and all doors (23 windows 6 doors). www.eesiva.net 804-883-6762.

When I scheduled they were able to fit me in in less than a week. The appointment took about 1 or 2 hours.

They are a good value compared to a few others I contacted. One company wanted $395.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia