Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times

Advertisements

I will be beginning the process of relocating today through the next two weeks and will be in need of a second set of strong arms for a couple of hours on one day to help me move my mattress, dresser, and a few other possessions that aren't terribly heavy but are too bulky to lift myself. I plan to rent a U-Haul truck perhaps next Saturday and do it all in one shot. Since I don't like to burden friends I know there are always throngs of day laborers in Herndon along Elden Street near the 7-11 and was wondering how, exactly, this would work? Could I just pull into the parking lot, approach a guy or two, explain to them I'd pay them each $100 for a couple of hours to help me move, and take them home with me? Is this legal to do? I could always hire a professional moving company, but I figure it's likely these day laborers also have families to feed and have much less solid job prospects, so I'd be doing them a good service by giving them some work and some much-needed cash. Has anyone used day laborers from Herndon before? Any caveats I should be aware of? Any horror stories about day laborers mugging/robbing/pillaging people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:20 AM

8,977 posts, read 21,057,345 times
Before this thread becomes a referendum on day laborers - and other related but off-topic subjects - please limit responses to those that involve experiences, whether positive or negative, in utilizing day laborers. Any off-topic replies will be considered a violation of the Terms of Service. Thank you.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:25 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Before this thread becomes a referendum on day laborers - and other related but off-topic subjects - please limit responses to those that involve experiences, whether positive or negative, in utilizing day laborers. Any off-topic replies will be considered a violation of the Terms of Service. Thank you.
Thanks for the disclaimer. I know it may be hard to believe, but this was NOT a thread designed to ruffle feathers. I'm just looking into the legal aspects, typical rates paid, experiences (positive/negative) with hiring day laborers, etc. I mean, do I have to request documentation of their legal citizenship before hiring them to do an odd-job for me, lest I be slammed by law enforcement for "hiring illegal immigrants?" I just thought that besides burdening friends or hiring professional movers who are already doing well for themselves why not throw a bone to the "little guys."

Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 AM

867 posts, read 2,095,900 times
Well, generally if you drive up and roll down your window, I think a couple of guys will come up. Explain (ideally find a few phrases in Spanish) that you just need general labor to help move. I wouldn't necessarily offer a set amount ("$100") but a rate per hour- $15-20 would be fine, and you can always give a bonus/round up depending on how well they they do the work.

As far as safety, you should be fine, but whenever you contract with strangers, whether the day laborers or a service offered on craigslist (which might just hire day laborers), ideally you should not be alone. You should have at least one other person you know helping out for safety and to prevent thefts. It is less likely that smaller, valuable items might fall into the pockets of a worker if one of you is inside the apartment while the other is at the truck.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 AM

2,489 posts, read 3,383,457 times
Do be very careful. Sorry to sound like a mom, but....I am mom.

My family could help you move your large items. My husband and two kids are strong. I am fairly strong but kind of small. Weekends are best!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,288,399 times
Two things to consider... one, professional movers are bonded. If they break or damage something, you can file a claim and get reimbursed. Second, what if they got injured during the move?

Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 AM

494 posts, read 1,185,462 times
I wouldn't ask about papers. I put this in the category of "asking the neighborhood kid to mow my lawn". I wouldn't say I'll pay you x per hour. I would ask how much to move a 2 br apartment etc. They'll usually quote you a price. Also, you should drive up to the Uhaul place a couple of days in advance or the 711 and start getting your quotes. Tell them you'd be doing it this weekend or tomorrow, whatever. That way you'll have a general idea. good to have a friend who speaks spanish but not really necessary. $$$ are the universal language.

I had a really good experience a few years ago when my basement flooded. I spent 2 days moving heavy furniture to my garage. I only needed the wet carpet taken out. i was really wiped with all my efforts. I paid 2 guys $60-70 and they knew exactly what to do. They cut the carpet with some utility knives, rolled it up nicely at the front of my house for the county to pick up. Like they had done it before.

Some of the smallest, runtiest guys are the hardest/strongest workers, too.

Don't forget to have some ice cold bottles of water, too.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 PM

26,679 posts, read 41,525,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Two things to consider... one, professional movers are bonded. If they break or damage something, you can file a claim and get reimbursed. Second, what if they got injured during the move?
Cdmurphy does have a point. The liability question would be the big deterrent for myself personally.

Personally I would do a craigslist ad under labor/gigs before I would go with day laborers. From what you told me you didn't need that much help and I would feel a little more secure going that route knowing that it's planned from the get go.

Heck, if I was still there I'd gladly help you move and take the $100.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:31 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,053,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
As far as safety, you should be fine, but whenever you contract with strangers, whether the day laborers or a service offered on craigslist (which might just hire day laborers), ideally you should not be alone. You should have at least one other person you know helping out for safety and to prevent thefts. It is less likely that smaller, valuable items might fall into the pockets of a worker if one of you is inside the apartment while the other is at the truck.
Excellent advice! I have never used the guys at the 7-11s but have been tempted to do so. I have two friends who go do alot of work on their houses and lawns and constantly use these fellas. Spanish-speaking skills are good but be sure you can talk money (dinero) and numbers moreso than anything! Yes, set a fee for the work (how much for 2-3 hrs of work) and explain what you need. Have some cold drinks or sodas and maybe sandwiches to give them whent they leave (I always feed movers and give tips).

I've also used craigslist but as Mike NIU says, have someone with you at all times. I've found guys for short-term moving (load up a truck, go to my storage unit, and unload it into the unit), long-term moving, paintng my house (one flat fee per day for 3 guys and they painted anything I wanted.).

Another suggestion is eMove.com - Your one stop moving shop.. I've used them several times. You can hire someone locally for small moves. However, they will have a fee per hour as well as a transportation fee (the time from their place to your place). And they have minimum time requirements, like no less than 2 hours. This is a more "safer" route if you prefer but less costly than a moving company. There are comments from clients so you can read about their work.

I saw a commercial for movebuilder.com but haven't investigated this one yet.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:53 PM

738 posts, read 2,947,766 times
Not to insult your friends or anything, but you really don't think they'll help you out? Whenever I've had to move, I always just have a few friends/family come help me. Then after we're all finished, I make sure to provide them with plenty of beer and food, or sometimes a nice dinner out that's on my tab. We've all helped each other move at some point, so as long as you're willing to return the favor when they need help. It works well, plus you know that you can trust them that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: