U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 PM

10,829 posts, read 26,407,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I'd bet that the new WalMart is intended to replace the old store...that's how they do things.

I drag my banjo down to Southwest VA occasionally (to show them local boys how it's done!) and in this one town, Wally built a brand new Superstore right across the street from an older store. When the new store opened, the old one closed immediately. Pretty smart, if you ask me, they don't miss a single sale during the construction!
IIRC, that's what they did in Loudoun. The old WalMart used to be where Wegmans is now located, and the new one is off Atlantic by Lowe's, across 28.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 PM

8,569 posts, read 12,665,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
IIRC, that's what they did in Loudoun. The old WalMart used to be where Wegmans is now located, and the new one is off Atlantic by Lowe's, across 28.
And they did it in Manassas. And near my parents' house in Pennsylvania.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:07 PM

8,569 posts, read 12,665,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post

I'm not saying, I'm just saying....
LOL - It's 1 AM and I'm gonna wake my family up from laughing so loud at those pictures.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:37 PM

30,179 posts, read 67,320,481 times
Something I personally dislike about "big-box" stores in general is what they happen to be---big boxes. I was just at Ikea for the first time last night down in Woodbridge, and while it, too, is a "box" its land footprint is MUCH smaller than most other major chains because it is multi-story, with elevators and escalators being used to ferry people between floors. Being an Ikea virgin I was literally in heaven with the way the store's interior was laid-out. I felt like I was Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz following the yellow brick road around! At Wal-Mart I just get an "eh" feeling because I walk inside and just think "generic" and "soulless." Shopping should be an enjoyable and fun experience. It shouldn't be unpleasant, but more often than not when I've been to Wal-Mart I haven't had the best of times.

Why doesn't Wal-Mart consider building UP instead of OUT all the time, and why the sea of asphalt all the time instead of a parking garage, like Ikea has? Wal-Mart's profit margins are MUCH higher than Ikea, so don't tell me it's a matter of cost. You could even have a Wal-Mart in Old Town Alexandria if Wally World would "think outside the box" and figure out a way to retrofit existing buildings to suit its needs. In Columbia Heights in the District there is a mall with a parking garage and multi-story Target and Best Buy. There is a Home Depot in Manhattan. Wal-Mart still sticks to its stubborn and outdated "box" concept which does nothing but waste land and open space, in my opinion. If Wal-Mart was intelligent they'd build a 3-story store on this parcel along Route 1 with an attractive facade with windows and skylights to bring in as much natural light as possible to enhance the shopping exprience. They'd build an attached parking garage. They could then get approval to sub-divide the parcel and sell off the unused portion to a private developer who'd build a multi-story mixed-use project with a few hundred apartments/condos with a few restaurants and neighborhood businesses on the ground floor. It's a win-win. Wal-Mart gets cash from the developer, Wal-Mart gets more foot traffic from the new residents, and the community hates Wal-Mart less because they actually built something ATTRACTIVE instead of its typical ugly huge "box" that looks just like every other one in the nation.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:27 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,077,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I'd bet that the new WalMart is intended to replace the old store...that's how they do things.

I drag my banjo down to Southwest VA occasionally (to show them local boys how it's done!) and in this one town, Wally built a brand new Superstore right across the street from an older store. When the new store opened, the old one closed immediately. Pretty smart, if you ask me, they don't miss a single sale during the construction!
Car54 - that's a really good observation. They're putting a COSTCO in next door to the old one where the closed Multiplex is so maybe they decided it would be better to move up the road a bit.

I'm not an anti-Wal Mart snob, but I would like a little more retail variety around here. We've got the low end pretty well covered so would be nice to have some more upscale choices. I'll bet even the folks in Incognito's pics would shop at a Wegmans or TJs if it were convenient.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:30 AM

10,829 posts, read 26,407,110 times
WalMart has built up, instead of out -- in White Plains, NY. It was a prototype for the urban WalMart, and was a precursor on an attempt to break into the NYC market, something that it has not been able to do. It's a cross between a regular WalMart, though product offerings are tailored for the area, and a Super WalMart as it has some limited grocery selections, and a parking garage.

There's no reason to do that on Route 1 because it's not a urban environment. It is very much a low rise commercial strip, with abundant parking lots.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,960,235 times
Wegman's will open a new store near Kingstowne in 2012, at the corner of Telegraph Road and Beulah Street.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM

3,157 posts, read 8,114,283 times
This is a significant upgrade for Walmart, location-wise. Closer to the City of Alexandria and Huntington means they'll be able to compete with Target better.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,181 times
This Wal-Mart is actually going to be a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, not a Supercenter. It's supposed to be upscale, discounted groceries, i.e. Whole Foods with better prices.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 AM

3,157 posts, read 8,114,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
You could even have a Wal-Mart in Old Town Alexandria if Wally World would "think outside the box" and figure out a way to retrofit existing buildings to suit its needs.
Maybe in the City of Alexandria (after all, it already has a Target), but not in Old Town itself. The biggest store I can think of in Old Town is the Whole Foods, and even that is really more on the outskirts. It's also way smaller than any big-box store could be. It simply would not have room for the departments that make a Walmart useful. Old Town does not have any two or three story department stores that I know of.

However, I would love to see something like this in the proposed development around the Eisenhower Metro. That would be the right place for it- good transit and vehicle accessibility. It would still be a new development and not a retrofit, though.

Quote:
If Wal-Mart was intelligent they'd build a 3-story store on this parcel along Route 1 with an attractive facade with windows and skylights to bring in as much natural light as possible to enhance the shopping exprience. They'd build an attached parking garage. They could then get approval to sub-divide the parcel and sell off the unused portion to a private developer who'd build a multi-story mixed-use project with a few hundred apartments/condos with a few restaurants and neighborhood businesses on the ground floor.
The area needs to become more transit-dependent first. That is part of the plan for Richmond Highway so I could see something like this happening 25 years from now. But right now, the area is too car-dependent and parking lots are too plentiful for this to make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia