U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 10:21 PM

7 posts, read 9,383 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm brand new to Rosslyn- close to the cemetery so its very quiet and roughly 10 min to the metro- and in my search for lively walking/streets to spend slow weekends, I feel like DC and Courthouse/Clarendon/Ballston will be frequent destinations for me. My question is that as I have a car, will I be able to find parking near those places on the weekend? I noticed a lot of 4hr pay signs and coming from NY, I'm scared of curbside parking because the traffic police ticket very aggressively- like you can't refill a meter once it's expired, etc...- so I'm wondering if I'll waste 20 minutes driving around looking in either DC or Arlington for lots/parking on the weekend? Is parking stressful in DC/Arlington? Do people prefer to take the metro? Is there a big difference in weekend evening and weekend afternoons in terms of bustling-ness in either the Courthouse-Ballston corridor or around the West End to Adams Morgan neighborhoods?

Thanks for the help- I'm trying to limit how much I have to learn the hard way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 11:01 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,341,583 times
In DC, you don't take risks with parking, lest you find yourself on the receiving end of a boot, or a ticket. It can be difficult to park in some of the trendier areas, among them Georgetown and Adams Morgan. My best advice is that if you're going to drive, plan to pay for a spot; and if you happen upon a legal street spot, you've come out ahead. Many people do take the Metro and/or Circulator, and/or Georgetown shuttle bus (from Rosslyn), but that all depends upon your schedule and the bus/train schedule as they do not run all night. Adams Morgan and Capitol Hill can be very difficult for parking. The Golden Triangle/Penn Quarter are easier, owing to the office buildings in the area. Georgetown has a couple of garages, too. With any garage, check the hours, since not all are 24-hours, and some are only open on weekends to pass holders with a keycard.

Parking is easier to find in Arlington, either pay or free, though when the meters are in effect, don't tempt fate and park for a minute to run into a store. If there's a muni-meter, you have the grace period to walk to the meter and back to the car, but no further. If it's a stand alone meter, don't park unless you pay the minimum fee, as Arlington does enforce meters, especially in busy areas along Wilson and Clarendon Boulevards.

There's a parking garage attached to the Ballston Commons Mall that's owned by the county, so parking is never more than a couple of blocks away in that area. There's also a garage at Courthouse, and another at Clarendon, so there's no shortage of places to park.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or