Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:11 PM

106 posts, read 106,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
There's no question that the schools in the 22043 and 22046 zip codes generally have higher test scores than those in, say, 22003, 22041 or 22042, if that's what you mean. Do the teachers or administrators do a better job in those areas? I'm not so sure about that.

I assume a Lake Barcroft house would be more expensive if it were in 22043 or 22046, but it's a somewhat hypothetical exercise because there's no similar body of water in those areas, which is but one reason why Lake Barcroft might be more desirable to some people than, say, the City of Falls Church or some place in the Haycock district (not to mention Pimmit Hills). Some posts make it sound like the least attractive property in 22043 or 22046 is more desirable than the most attractive property in the other zip codes, and that's simply not the case.
I never said teachers or administrators do a better job, but nevermind the higher test scores, there's less crime and gang activity at the 22043 and 22046 zip codes also. Without that, it would be a more conducive environment for learning.

The hypothetical exercise was when you compared parts of 22043 and 22046 to 22041, 22044 etc. where you said that the latter had more expensive, and more desirable homes compared to the former. Here, you didn't even specify a "lake" vs. "no lake" reason. This comparison shouldn't be made.

Quote:
For example, parts of 22041 (such as Lake Barcroft and Barcroft Woods), which border other parts of Fairfax County with Annandale or Alexandria mailing addresses, are undoubtedly more expensive, and probably more "desirable," than anything further north in 22042 and many parts of 22043. Same is true for a good portion of the Sleepy Hollow communities in the 22044 zip code.
The hypothetical exercise also included your statement where you're pretty much comparing apples to oranges. A family getting more house in 22041 and 22044 isn't going to have the same house in 22043 or 22046. This comparison shouldn't really be made either.

Quote:
There are many people living in 22041 and 22044 (further south) who could easily afford to live in 22042 or 22043 (further north) or 22046 (Falls Church City) and made a different choice.

Since the suburban growth was so incremental in this area, and took place over a lengthy period, generalizations tend to have many exceptions.

Last edited by reeze; 09-19-2010 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 PM

214 posts, read 487,967 times
Del Ray is a lot of fun but we know two families who had their single/young married fun in Old Town and Del Ray and then moved to Falls Church City for the schools when their oldest kids were K-aged. The FC City elementary schools have a much better reputation than the Alexandria City elementary schools (because the demographic is much more upper middle-class, with very few poor kids while the reverse is true of the Alexandria schools). Also Del Ray is not really a working class area--it is educated white professionals mixed in with low-income immigrants and African American families that have been there forever. But most of the white professionals opt out of the schools.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:35 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeze View Post
I never said teachers or administrators do a better job, but nevermind the higher test scores, there's less crime and gang activity at the 22043 and 22046 zip codes also. Without that, it would be a more conducive environment for learning.

The hypothetical exercise was when you compared parts of 22043 and 22046 to 22041, 22044 etc. where you said that the latter had more expensive, and more desirable homes compared to the former. Here, you didn't even specify a "lake" vs. "no lake" reason. This comparison shouldn't be made.

The hypothetical exercise also included your statement where you're pretty much comparing apples to oranges. A family getting more house in 22041 and 22044 isn't going to have the same house in 22043 or 22046. This comparison shouldn't really be made either.
Hmm. You might want to brush up on your reading skills. I didn't suggest that the 22041 and 22044 zip codes generally have "more expensive, and more desirable homes" compared to the 22043 and 22046 zip codes. I only noted that there are some houses in the first two zip codes that are nicer than some properties in the last two zip codes. It's not exactly a novel observation, but one that I think that is occasionally worth making, since the City of Falls Church/"McLean part of Falls Church" cheerleaders on C-D so frequently denigrate other parts of Falls Church that lie in Fairfax County and try to steer people away from those areas.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:18 PM

106 posts, read 106,916 times
Quote:
Hmm. You might want to brush up on your reading skills. I didn't suggest that the 22041 and 22044 zip codes generally have "more expensive, and more desirable homes" compared to the 22043 and 22046 zip codes. I only noted that there are some houses in the first two zip codes that are nicer than some properties in the last two zip codes. It's not exactly a novel observation, but one that I think that is occasionally worth making, since the City of Falls Church/"McLean part of Falls Church" cheerleaders on C-D so frequently denigrate other parts of Falls Church that lie in Fairfax County and try to steer people away from those areas.
I think you should take some of your own advice.

Quote:
Emphasis here on the "generally."

For example, parts of 22041 (such as Lake Barcroft and Barcroft Woods), which border other parts of Fairfax County with Annandale or Alexandria mailing addresses, are undoubtedly more expensive, and probably more "desirable," than anything further north in 22042 and many parts of 22043. Same is true for a good portion of the Sleepy Hollow communities in the 22044 zip code. There are many people living in 22041 and 22044 (further south) who could easily afford to live in 22042 or 22043 (further north) or 22046 (Falls Church City) and made a different choice.

Since the suburban growth was so incremental in this area, and took place over a lengthy period, generalizations tend to have many exceptions.
You're basing your arguments on a select few examples which doesn't mean anything, even though you use words such as "good portion."

It would be akin to me basing an argument on a few homes in the town of Vienna being more expensive than a few homes in Great Falls.

Whoopeee.

Those who try to steer others away from the other parts of Falls Church are basing their recommendations on schools (which you don't deny), crime/gang activity, etc. which are a few of the main factors most people consider when buying a home.

If people came on this blog and just requested a large expensive home by the lake, I don't think anyone would be steering them towards the City of Falls Church/McLean part of Falls Church.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:45 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
I would go with Falls Church because of the schools. I like Del Ray and the surrounding areas, but I wouldn't send my child to one of the schools there (and I used to be a teacher in Alexandria). The thing is, private school is just so expensive around here - 20K/year for some of the good ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: