U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:18 PM

96 posts, read 215,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
since I don't want to be told again I need a blog. My husband got the job in DC, we will leave NM on June 14th. Thankfully the timing worked out that my kids can finish school, our oldest graduated from college this weekend and the next oldest is moving to Texas on Thursday. So I can leave here with peace of mind. The only downside is we decided to leave our dog with my parents so as not to limit our housing options.
We moved here from NM last month and found a terrific townhouse with plenty of space and they accepted our 70 pound dog. One thing we did was include a "pet resume" with your application. Our pet resume was a really nice addition to our application. Our townhouse is in N. Arlington directly across from East Falls Church metro station - facilitating commuting for my husband who works in D.C. When I first outlined my desires for a place in the area for $3000 a month or less, I got several responses saying that I probably could not find anything in the area I wanted, near a metro, for that cost. However, we were able to find a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath plus a powder room, den, living room, kitchen with granite countertops and stainless appliances, and hardwood floors on the main level for $2750. It's lovely. So - the point of my story is, don't give up on what you want and don't give your dog up! I got a real estate agent to put us on a MSL listing distribution for rentals and that's how I found this place. I did also go through a rental agent who is well known in the area, but the place we ended up getting was one I found myself through the MSL listings. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,623,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFean View Post
We moved here from NM last month and found a terrific townhouse with plenty of space and they accepted our 70 pound dog. One thing we did was include a "pet resume" with your application. Our pet resume was a really nice addition to our application. Our townhouse is in N. Arlington directly across from East Falls Church metro station - facilitating commuting for my husband who works in D.C. When I first outlined my desires for a place in the area for $3000 a month or less, I got several responses saying that I probably could not find anything in the area I wanted, near a metro, for that cost. However, we were able to find a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath plus a powder room, den, living room, kitchen with granite countertops and stainless appliances, and hardwood floors on the main level for $2750. It's lovely. So - the point of my story is, don't give up on what you want and don't give your dog up! I got a real estate agent to put us on a MSL listing distribution for rentals and that's how I found this place. I did also go through a rental agent who is well known in the area, but the place we ended up getting was one I found myself through the MSL listings. Good luck.
The pet resume is an excellent idea. I had a rental listing in Herndon last year, the owners were iffy about a pet. The tenants-to-be included a pet resume with photos with their application and the owners were so charmed by the resume they said yes to the springer spaniel. Just don't make the resume too cute and please don't dress your dog in a funny outfit for the photo.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:46 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,139,589 times
Thanks for all the ideas in regards to pets. Actually my brother came this weekend and he and our dog fell in love so he is going to take her. So we are happy with that, it means the kids can see her whenever we visit. She is used to having alot of open space to run around and we are leaning towards a th with a smaller yard so she will probably be alot happier with my brother out in the country.

Thanks for all the positive responses, we are trying to get everything lined up this week, still waiting for the movers to call and temporary quarters to be found. We are actually waiting until we get there to look at rentals, since we will be in temp quarters for 60 days. Just gathering ideas now and trying to narrow down where we would be willing to live.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 AM

577 posts, read 1,784,402 times
If your husband is going to be traveling often and might be flying frequently out of Dulles Airport you might consider the Ashburn, VA area. The commute to DC will take about an hour but if he flies out of that airport quite a bit at least that part will be easy. Also if the children are still in public schools the Loudoun County schools are rated pretty well and the Ashburn area is very family friendly.

However, if the hour long commute is a problem and the proximity to Dulles Airport isn't beneficial I'm sure there are other family friendly communities you could consider.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:19 AM

577 posts, read 1,784,402 times
Great neighborhood:
21327 Fultonham Cir, Ashburn, VA, 20147 - MLS #LO7349641 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Old 05-28-2010, 08:50 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,139,589 times

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it, however at this time we are not looking to purchase a house, since the probability of us rotating back out into the field in 18 months to 2 yrs is very high, it wouldn't be a wise investment for us to purchase a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia