U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 PM

16 posts, read 18,147 times
Default apartment opinions for Sterling, Reston, Herndon

Hi

looking for opinions on some apartments in the Sterling, Reston, and Herndon area. I would consider the Dulles area as well....

I went to apartmentratings.com but I just wanted to seek out opinions here for anyone who rented in these towns. My place of work is in Sterling and have hung out in Sterling (Sterling Park and Cascades) so I am fairly familiar with the area but not with the apartments.

My budget would be about $1100 max, per month. Assigned parkign space would be nice. Prefer 1 bedroom, 1 bath type of deal. Looking for a place that is quiet and fairly new (e.g. not wanting to deal with an old apartment complex with constant calls to fix things).

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 01:18 PM

2,240 posts, read 6,647,147 times
When selling our home out of state we lived in Archstone Stonebridge apartments in Ashburn. (Really more like Sterling. Right off 7 by George Washington school) Two and a half years ago we paid $1400 for a 2 bed, 2 bath 1 car garage. It was nice. It is gated and I didn't mind living there.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:34 PM

16 posts, read 18,147 times
Thank you, I will look into the Archstone. I work right off of 28/Sterling Blvd so that commute is not bad.

Anyone have personal experience with Village at Potomac Falls apartments in Sterling? That is the best apartment in Sterling that has decent enough positive ratings online but wanted to get some other opinions as well.

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:30 PM

25,853 posts, read 44,156,300 times
Just be aware that Archstone is also notorious (not only my current complex but others) of enticing people in with relatively low pricing only to jack the rents up $200/month (or more) the next year, causing a mass outflux that is replaced by newcomers once again lured in by the low pricing. If you're considering Archstone I might ask if they can give you a ball-park figure as to how much (percentage-wise) they anticipate raising your rent the following year.

As someone who has lived alone in a 1-BR apartment in the area I can safely say that finding something at a maximum of $1,100/month that is NOT older and in constant need of maintenance will be tough. My current Archstone complex now rents for $1,325/month for a 1-BR, has chronic maintenance issues (built in the 1970s), and has no amenities. The Sycamores across the street, from what I've heard anyways, is a much better deal and is in much better condition, so that may be an option to consider. Look into Parc Reston as well. I'm moving to Colvin Woods in Reston, and while the place seems nice enough I can already tell by the age and "feel" of the apartment I might have my fair share of maintenance issues over the course of the next year.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:47 PM

564 posts, read 813,468 times
Colvin Woods? Oh no. They used to be called Charter Oaks. Check them out on apartmentratings.com.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:16 AM

25,853 posts, read 44,156,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Colvin Woods? Oh no. They used to be called Charter Oaks. Check them out on apartmentratings.com.
Actually, I live in Charter Oak now. Colvin Woods used to be Carter Lake. Nearly every complex in Reston has terrible ratings on that site, and my current complex is amongst the worst (and deservedly so).

Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 PM

564 posts, read 813,468 times
Ahh...thanks for the clarification! Carter Lake is the one I'm thinking of. All the best on the move.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,988,438 times
My son has lived at Sycamore apartments in Reston for the last few years. They are very nice, lots of closets, and washer and dryer in the apartment. The kitchen has room for a table and there's a dining room area. They are also updated, nice kitchens with dishwasher. He's had no problems with service, they've been very prompt. It's also walking distance to the bike trail, grocery stores, and the Town Center. Reston Area Apartments for Rent - The Sycamores You can have a pet too! Lots of parking too.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,988,438 times
Colvin Woods is not in a good neighborhood. It's also one of the older apartments. I'd be very hesitant to move there.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 AM

1,824 posts, read 2,893,981 times
There's an ad for Muirfield Woods in Sterling. I've passed by there before. I believe it's next to the bike trail so it's near the business/industrial district to the west of downtown Sterling Park if my memory is correct.

GREAT SPECIAL FOR A LIMITED TIME!!!! (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/apa/1738583270.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia