U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 AM

89 posts, read 158,636 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple (under 30) with 3 kids (8, 6.5, 15 mo) looking at buying in Morris Farm right now and I have a few questions that hopefully some here can answer...

1.) Is there a difference between Meadows at Morris Farm, Morris Farm Estates and Morris Farm? Do they all have the same amenities? Is one townhouses, one houses, one larger houses or something? I'm confused as to why there are different names but they are all part of the same neighborhood and same HOA?

2.) I understand the HOA includes cable and high-speed internet. I'm assuming it's basic cable, so do you know the fee to "upgrade" the cable? Does the HOA fee also include a landline?

3.) How is Glenkirk Elementary school? Any issues with overcrowding, administration, parental involvement, etc.?

4.) We've also looked in Glenkirk Estates...are there any differences between Morris Farm and Glenkirk Estates that would make one more preferable than the other?

We've been out there several times looking in Haymarket (Piedmont, Dominion Valley, Westmarket) and these areas of Gainesville, so anything anyone can tell me about this area would be great, particularly from a young-family perspective. We're coming from living in Fairfax and Loudoun and have NO experience in Prince William at all, so we're trying to just gather as much info as possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,045,913 times
Hi - I've lived in Morris Farm since 2006.

1.) Is there a difference between Meadows at Morris Farm, Morris Farm Estates and Morris Farm?
I've never heard the neighborhood referred to as Morris Farm Estates. The legal name of the neighborhood is Meadows at Morris Farm, but is typically called Morris Farm. Also, contrary to popular belief it is Morris Farm not Morris FarmS (that bugs me!)

Do they all have the same amenities? Is one townhouses, one houses, one larger houses or something?

All share the same things in the neighborhood. The houses vary from town homes (which are built out) to single family homes.

I'm confused as to why there are different names but they are all part of the same neighborhood and same HOA?

There are technically three HOAs. Morris Farm overall and north and south HOA. North and South are split by Rollins Ford Road. There is some discussion about just having one HOA. I think it's a bit redundant myself to have three HOAs that do the same thing.

2.) I'm assuming it's basic cable, so do you know the fee to "upgrade" the cable?
I roughly pay another $60 on top of the HOA fee to have hi def and dvr and expanded cable.

Does the HOA fee also include a landline?
No.

3.) How is Glenkirk Elementary school? Any issues with overcrowding, administration, parental involvement, etc.?
I really couldn't tell you. My child doesn't start kindergarten until this fall. I haven't heard any complaints other than they had to put trailers on site this year, but a couple of new elementary schools are on the horizon to alleviate some of the overcrowding.

4.) We've also looked in Glenkirk Estates...are there any differences between Morris Farm and Glenkirk Estates that would make one more preferable than the other?

I hear the Glenkirk homes cost more than what you can get at Morris Farm. Glenkirk doesn't have the open fields and trails like Morris Farm. I personally don't care for the location of the pool house in Glenkirk. There is no privacy since it's on the main road. I also think Glenkirk's parks are really small. One park further back in the neighborhood looks a bit trashy.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,045,913 times
Forgot to mention that Glenkirk neighborhood is going to have some sort of strip mall with a daycare center on the corner of the main intersection across from the pool. Just something to think about.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 AM

Thank you for your response Heather. I think I'm getting the names mixed up because some new builds on Ladderbacked Drive were said to be in "Morris Farm Estates" but perhaps "Estates" just refers to the housing collection on that street? So that does clear up that Morris Farm is just short for Meadows at Morris Farm. Makes much more sense now.

I did notice that, at least the lots we looked at, seemed to be larger and more spread out than the ones available in Glenkirk (which was the opposite of what we were initially told) and made us lean towards Morris Farm more. And I also did not like the idea of the swimming pool right there on the corner of Rollins Ford and Estate Manor Drive. I feel like that's surely going to be a busy intersection in the future.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:31 PM

123 posts, read 360,411 times
Hi - Live I live in Morris Farm and wanted to respond. We are a young couple also with kids and let's see....I really don't know what the diffrence is either (as Heather commented) about the Estates thing. Maybe its the series of homes...I know on the base map for the developement there are a few series...etc Heritage series so not sure about that. I haven't seen really any difference except that the dev't has the townhomes in one section, cottage and courtyard homes in another and SFH kinda of sectioned off.
The HOA fee does include basic cable...which I have been very happy with. Basic cable is a select group of channels though...like you get Nick but you don't get Nick jr. I thought this was a bit wierd. Anyway you can upgrade and no it doesn't include a landline but your can opt to add one.
I did want to mention about Glenkirk. According to the neighbors the school is busting at the seems....but plans for two new elementary schools in the next couple of years are in the works. The school is too small for all of the developement and I know that the higher grades are in trailers. However saying this if your kids are small they will probably add more schooling by the time they get older. Also too...there is a private school for the younger grades in Haymarket, St Pauls, which is really not far if you visited Glenkirk and opted that it might not be for you. Overcrowding is happening too from what I hear at the next developement over (Bridlewood whose kids go to Bristow Run Elem) also. It appears it may be all over. From what I heard with exception of class sizes which is close to 30 kids (i think 28 maybe) people appear to be happy with the school instruction.
I too was intersted in Glenkirk Estates but at the time it was much more expensive. So we kinda of eliminated them. Two weeks ago I went through the developement and did notice several SFH were really really on top of each other. Not sure if you are looking for a townhouse or SFH but I was really surprised how close the neighbors were in Glenkirk Estates for the price tag. The houses there (Drees Homes) are suppose to be made better....from what I hear as far as craftsmanship. I will say the true SFH (unlike the duplexes with shared garages)in Morris Farm are laid out with more land. The developers pack everyone in but truly from what I have seen it can be worse and you can get less for your money. There are alot of families with kids in the area. Do you plan to stay home?
Hope this helps!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 PM

We're looking at a SFH, and I definitely did notice driving through Glenkirk that the houses were thisclose to each other, which made it less appealing. I'm currently a SAHM, but when both the older ones are in school all day next year (the middle one is in kindergarten this year), I'm considering going back to work, depending on what I can find, how much daycare would be for the youngest one, and if it would allow me to be back home at a reasonable time, so we'll see. Or I'll just have another baby and stay home for a few more years

I kind of figured Glenkirk Elem. would be busting at the seams with all the new building going on. Have they started making kids go to schools out of their boundary because of overcrowding? I would hate to not move until mid to late summer and find out that my kids have to go to a different school because Glenkirk is too far over capacity. Thankfully both of them are bright and at or above their grade level so I'm not too concerned about the lack of one-on-one or extra attention these huge class sizes cause, which is what the major drawback of having full classes is.

I'm glad to hear it's family friendly though with lots of kids, because that's exactly what we're looking for.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 AM

309 posts, read 737,789 times
The new HS and elementary school located off Kettle Run is slated to open Fall 2011. I also read there is another ES in the works, but I'm not sure if that's a done deal

Old 05-15-2010, 09:17 AM

24 posts, read 70,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire2900 View Post
The new HS and elementary school located off Kettle Run is slated to open Fall 2011. I also read there is another ES in the works, but I'm not sure if that's a done deal
Do a Google search for "Patriot High School Facilities Services" and look for the amazing aerial photos of the building site. They are spending $70million on the new HS.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM

6 posts, read 15,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsEvie64 View Post
Thank you for your response Heather. I think I'm getting the names mixed up because some new builds on Ladderbacked Drive were said to be in "Morris Farm Estates" but perhaps "Estates" just refers to the housing collection on that street? So that does clear up that Morris Farm is just short for Meadows at Morris Farm. Makes much more sense now.

I did notice that, at least the lots we looked at, seemed to be larger and more spread out than the ones available in Glenkirk (which was the opposite of what we were initially told) and made us lean towards Morris Farm more. And I also did not like the idea of the swimming pool right there on the corner of Rollins Ford and Estate Manor Drive. I feel like that's surely going to be a busy intersection in the future.
If it's on Ladderbacked Dr. then it is The Meadows at Morris Farm.... The upper half of the street is "Economical" homes by Brookfield and above that by Richmond American - the lower half and over to Broadwinged and down by the pool are Craftmark homes which are very high quality with more options etc.

I live in a Craftmark home on Ladderbacked Dr. and can heartily recommend it.. My Grandson goes to the local Jr. High and my daughter and her husband are positive on the school....

Also the lots are somewhat smallish... Especially if you have a larger model built on them... However there is lots of common ground and in our case a 50 foot buffer behind us and behind that is Broad Run....

As far as the Soccer Field(s) go - IIRC the Parks folks approved them and then the County Supvs froze them until the infrastructure catches up with widening and paving the access road and supplying water, power and sewer. Also at the 11th hour it was "discovered" that the proposed fields abutted a wetland and that forced a redesign of the facilities which shoved the fields up into the top left corner of the tract! People that live on the adjacent tract are livid....

Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 AM

Yeah, we looked on Ladderbacked (and decided the RAH were not for us) and it was weird how you turn right and it's much smaller homes and then if you turn left it's homes that are like 3 times the size.

Is there a website for the HOA I can look at? I'm trying to figure out what all is included in the fee. Are there any other amenities outside of the pools and the trails? Tennis courts? Basketball courts? Rec center? Playgrounds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia