Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 02:27 PM

62 posts, read 303,886 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on the future of Caroline County ...will it stay rural or develop into the next hot spot ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 04:30 PM

743 posts, read 3,899,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny34 View Post
Any thoughts on the future of Caroline County ...will it stay rural or develop into the next hot spot ?
Or both?
:P
-----------------------------------------------
Are you buying that house or not? Just move here already. I have word that one new amenity will be built this fall, and another by mid summer next year (won't say which), and more of the walking trail has been paved (they did it today)

Anyways, my thoughts on Caroline… I tend to ramble a little...

I believe that Caroline will basically become a bedroom community for Fredericksburg, with some people commuting to Richmond or NoVa. Fredericksburg is getting more and more jobs moving down, and with the housing prices so high there, and traffic so bad, people will be tempted to move just down the highway. Especially as the HOV lanes are extended, making commutes into NoVa easier, I think you'll see people moving further and further south.

Germana Community College is looking to open a campus down here in Caroline. Other development is coming, but you have to put it on scale... a lot of development for a county having only around 24,000 residents is a lot different than a lot of development in a bigger county. Something like a CVS opening up will still make the County Administrator's monthly message...

Caroline will for sure grow, there's no question about that. Caroline is the connecting piece that will attach Richmond to the Megalopolis. (DC, Baltimore, Phili, NYC, Boston) You go south, and you hit city, you go north, and you hit Fredericksburg... the gap will just close until it's all cities. This may take like 25-30 years... but I believe it's inevitable.

Caroline's development plan of approving large planned communities is a good step in preserving the rural areas of the county. Ladysmith Village, Pendleton, Haymount... between the 3 developments, there will be almost 11,000 new homes. All three have been approved, and are in differing stages of development. All three have developers donating land for schools, and proffers to help off-set the cost to the county of all of these new people. All 3 developments are on main roads, and will supply their own side roads (so they will not fill the back roads with new traffic) By having development concentrated in these areas, it will allow Caroline to develop more of a community, instead of a lot of little developments spread out all over the county, where people don't interact.

A lot is coming to Caroline, but it will be slow for the first few years... you have to have the population to support more commercial, and Caroline just isn't there yet. Once these 3 big developments really get rolling, and get their amenities built, you'll see more population increase, and then the commercial will come. Like I said, it's only a matter of time.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:55 PM

62 posts, read 303,886 times
LOL....Eric i knew i was going to hear from you...well i went back to Atlantic and made them another offer on that Dolley Madison, and they did accept it, so i will be writing the contract this week, i'am in south river section by the school, which by the is looking good.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:55 AM

Aww, you'll be on the other side then
all by yourself... well, I think maybe 2 people are living over there now...

I could never do it, you'll be living with construction for the next 2 or 3 years at least.
=x
But being near the school should increase your property value

I'll probably get to walk through your house then, since Atlantic said I could walk through a dolly madison when they start building one.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,449 times
Default Haymount

Is there a website for Haymount? I would like to receive info on open houses and pre construction pricing.
Thanks

Old 06-23-2007, 05:50 AM

http://www.dpz.com/pdf/8920%20Haymount.pdf (broken link)

This is the best site I could find... it'll give you basic info ont he sommunity, but it's a little old. Haymount has been int he works since 1989, but it hasn't been until recently that the county has approved the zoning. The main haymount website was up a few months ago, but it was mostly 'under sonstruction'. I could not find it now, but I am sure they're working on a marketing campain and a website. I'd say it'll probably be another two years before homes will actually be built though, but that's my guess.

That community is a great idea, and I hope it works out, it'll be great for the environment. (There's also a page for Ladysmith Village, the community I live in, on that website)

Old 06-26-2007, 12:09 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
Or both?
-----------------------------------------------
Are you buying that house or not? Just move here already. I have word that one new amenity will be built this fall, and another by mid summer next year (won't say which), and more of the walking trail has been paved (they did it today)

Anyways, my thoughts on Caroline… I tend to ramble a little...

I believe that Caroline will basically become a bedroom community for Fredericksburg, with some people commuting to Richmond or NoVa. Fredericksburg is getting more and more jobs moving down, and with the housing prices so high there, and traffic so bad, people will be tempted to move just down the highway. Especially as the HOV lanes are extended, making commutes into NoVa easier, I think you'll see people moving further and further south.

Germana Community College is looking to open a campus down here in Caroline. Other development is coming, but you have to put it on scale... a lot of development for a county having only around 24,000 residents is a lot different than a lot of development in a bigger county. Something like a CVS opening up will still make the County Administrator's monthly message...

Caroline will for sure grow, there's no question about that. Caroline is the connecting piece that will attach Richmond to the Megalopolis. (DC, Baltimore, Phili, NYC, Boston) You go south, and you hit city, you go north, and you hit Fredericksburg... the gap will just close until it's all cities. This may take like 25-30 years... but I believe it's inevitable.

Caroline's development plan of approving large planned communities is a good step in preserving the rural areas of the county. Ladysmith Village, Pendleton, Haymount... between the 3 developments, there will be almost 11,000 new homes. All three have been approved, and are in differing stages of development. All three have developers donating land for schools, and proffers to help off-set the cost to the county of all of these new people. All 3 developments are on main roads, and will supply their own side roads (so they will not fill the back roads with new traffic) By having development concentrated in these areas, it will allow Caroline to develop more of a community, instead of a lot of little developments spread out all over the county, where people don't interact.

A lot is coming to Caroline, but it will be slow for the first few years... you have to have the population to support more commercial, and Caroline just isn't there yet. Once these 3 big developments really get rolling, and get their amenities built, you'll see more population increase, and then the commercial will come. Like I said, it's only a matter of time.
I shudder that Richmond would ever be part of the Megalopolis. Does that mean Raleigh and Atlanta will too?

Old 06-26-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I shudder that Richmond would ever be part of the Megalopolis. Does that mean Raleigh and Atlanta will too?
Maybe eventually... I think Richmond will be first, and then it'll go down I-64... williamsburg, newport news, hampton roads, VA Beach... it's already really developed down there, and the gap between that area and Richmond is closing too.

Raleigh and Atlanta would take a while... but it may happen. If they add a highspeed train which allows people to live further from where they work, and also having Karr lake and that other lake inbetween Richmond and Raleigh already gaining in population, I suppose it's only a matter of time... but that could take a long time. I'm thinking that the Megalopolis could extend to VA Beach within 50 years... maybe less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia