Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times

Advertisements

Whirlpool owns Maytag and Frigidaire. The Kenmore's are just rebranded Whirlpools and Maytags. The salesmen at Sears will even tell you which model. Lowe's also carries a lot of the same brands including GE, LG, and Samsung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 02:14 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
Was just looking at HomeDepot.com and they have 4 different Maytag Bravos:

MVWB750W
MVWB450WQ
MVWB750WQ
MVWB750WR

Only real difference is one of them has a soak cycle while the others do not and 2 come in white, one in red, and one in black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Whirlpool owns Maytag and Frigidaire. The Kenmore's are just rebranded Whirlpools and Maytags. The salesmen at Sears will even tell you which model. Lowe's also carries a lot of the same brands including GE, LG, and Samsung.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:26 PM

309 posts, read 828,615 times
Do yourself a favor and spend $5 for online subscription to Consumer reports. We bought a Samsung and love it. Like the other poster mentioned, you just need to leave the door open and you never have the mildew issue

Old 05-16-2010, 03:41 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think you need to be careful about the front loader propaganda out there. I bought into it too for awhile but after three of my coworkers got them (and have had them for years) and convinced me they weren't having those issues, I took a chance. It's the first appliance purchase I've been completely happy with in many years.
I've had my LG front loader washer and dryer for almost seven years, and they still work wonderfully. I do have to leave the washer door open to let it dry out, and occasionally wipe around the door gasket... no big deal. I love them.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:01 PM

Better than that, I have the Feb 2010 issue right in front of me as I am typing and one issue they noticed with the Front Loaders: Mold Problems Persist. The front-loader's door seal can trap moisture and debris that can cause mold and odor; leave the door open, wipe dry the door gasket and glass; clean dispensers monthly, run an empty load with bleach added; wipe under and around the dispenser and run another load after that to remove residue bleach.

Consumersearch.com indicates:

Front-loading washers are also at the center of a consumer controversy. According to an editorial report by ConsumerReports.org, class-action lawsuits against LG and Whirlpool claim that front loaders from these manufacturers become moldy and malodorous, even when properly cared for. These lawsuits against LG and Whirlpool are still pending as of February 2010.

And finally:

Front loaders have their own set of downsides. The most common complaint: The doors of these machines have thick rubber seals on their interior to prevent water leakage. However, users say extra water, dirt and detergent can get trapped in these seals, creating an ideal environment for mold, mildew and unpleasant odors. However, a number of users say they prevent mold and mildew by wiping down the rubber seal after each wash or leaving the door of the washing machine open when not in use. Another common complaint is lengthy wash times, since the average load in a front loader takes longer than in a top-loading washing machine. In front-loading machines, washing can take up to two hours on some heavy-soil settings, although 60 to 90 minutes is more typical for normal washes. In comparison, the average wash time in a top loader is 30 to 50 minutes. Lastly, many owners say it can be expensive and time-consuming to repair a front-loading washing machine out of warranty, since parts and qualified repairmen can be hard to find.

Sure seems like awful lot of extra work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire2900 View Post
Do yourself a favor and spend $5 for online subscription to Consumer reports. We bought a Samsung and love it. Like the other poster mentioned, you just need to leave the door open and you never have the mildew issue

Old 05-18-2010, 01:36 PM

Anyone own the following Maytag washers:

MVWB750W
MVWB450WQ
MVWB750WQ
MVWB750WR

If so, any and all feedback would be appreciated. Based on Consumer Reports, they appear to be rated the best.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:34 PM

361 posts, read 737,524 times
Got sick of dealing with control panel/control board problems with a high-end Kenmore Elite dryer. Gave the sorry thing away and bought a Cabrio online from Sears. They had it in stock, delivered within a few days, and arranged to have it hooked up. Very happy with this one and with the online transaction.
I have the Kenmore Elite Calypso HE Washer, and have had the pump replaced only once so far, but I am careful! Next time it goes out to the curb. This washer is a top loader but no agitator and it does have the stinky washer problem.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:57 PM

413 posts, read 1,165,093 times
someone school me on the new fascination with using steam in the washer and dryer units of high end clothes washing appliances? worth it?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 PM

What year was your Kenmore Elite dryer?

Is the Cabrio more of a basic model?

Never heard of the Kenmore Elite Calypso HE Washer or is that one of those front loaders? Looked at sears.com and don't even see it listed; or is it an older machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
Got sick of dealing with control panel/control board problems with a high-end Kenmore Elite dryer. Gave the sorry thing away and bought a Cabrio online from Sears. They had it in stock, delivered within a few days, and arranged to have it hooked up. Very happy with this one and with the online transaction.
I have the Kenmore Elite Calypso HE Washer, and have had the pump replaced only once so far, but I am careful! Next time it goes out to the curb. This washer is a top loader but no agitator and it does have the stinky washer problem.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:05 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Sure seems like awful lot of extra work
It sure does but, fortunately, I'm not experiencing any of this nor have any of my front-loader friends. So, I don't get it. Yes, I see the potential for the mold/mildew issue, but it has been so easy to avoid. Oh well, I guess everyone has a different level of what they can tolerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia