Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:24 PM

15 posts, read 49,905 times

Advertisements

I am coming from the caribbean to work in the DC area, need some guidance.

I will working Remote but have office in DC and Reston

I am willing to spend on housing 1800 per month

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate 30min - 45 minutes
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? good public school
-
Saftey is premium as might have to travel and would want to know my wife is safe. also, community with Caribbean "feel".. [just to lessen the effect of change]

-Community amenities important to - parks, recreation, good church.
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 08:34 PM

313 posts, read 551,423 times
Hello, welcome to Virginia. I'm too new to the area to know if there is a Caribbean feel to the area, but I can tell you there is quite a bit of diversity around. With your budget and work stations, I'd suggest you look into areas like Falls Church and Vienna.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:08 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Welcome to Virginia! I can't think of anything here that would duplicate a Caribbean feel, but I am not sure what you mean by that. What are you looking for?

You won't be able to rent a house for that amount, but you might find a 2-3 bedroom apartment. I don't think Vienna will offer you many choices but perhaps Falls Church or Reston. Reston has lots of apartments. My son has rented in Reston for a couple of years, at the Sycamores and he has liked it. Reston Area Apartments for Rent - The Sycamores The problem is you would need private schools as the schools in this area are not very good. The City of Falls Church has good schools, but some of the area with a Falls Church address, but not in the city, has not so great schools. Like most places, the best schools are in the richer parts of the county, McLean, Great Falls, Vienna and Oakton. That also means the rents will be higher. How large a place do you need? House or apartment?

Old 05-16-2010, 05:15 AM

Thanks for you reply.

Regarding renting, I am looking for a 3 bed room condo or house. I have seen that there seems to be only most appartments.

I have been looking at Springfield, any comments on here?

When i said "caribbean fell" I just threw that out there...as I am more familiar with Florida and New York......and where the areas of Caribbean people are like in Jamaiaca, Queens. Just wonder if that was in NOVA tooo.

I just want to ensure that i can find a "family focused" area..

I would like shopping convenience also...(e.g. Costco, Walmart etc etc.)

I need to be able to access airport in reasonable time to...

If i can get a place for 1700 i would be goood to.. preferable something bulit after the late 80's

Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
I have a friend who lives in this development and likes it.
10905 HARPERS SQUARE CT, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

The elementary school - Sunrise Valley - for this neighborhood is very good.
School Ranks ( Schoolranks ): The Best Schools Of Fairfax County.

This location will be very easy to get to your office in Reston but will take about a hour to go to DC if you drive alone or take the METRO (metro bus stop is very close to this rental). If you drive into DC with a rider so as to be able to take advantage of the HOV lanes on I-66 you will get there in about 45 minutes (I do this every day)

Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
You say you are working remote but have offices in Reston and D.C. How often will you have to go into D.C.?

Another area to consider is 20165 in Sterling, it is also known as Potomac Falls, and is close to Reston. There are townhouses there within your budget, in very good areas. Schools are good, area is safe, plenty of shopping in all price ranges (we have a Costco, Target, and Walmart). Some of my neighbors commute into D.C. every day so it is doable, but it will be longer than 45 minutes. Try the homesdatabase.com website to check out what is available.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:14 AM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
You could get a townhouse in Ashburn for $1800. Close to the airport, family friendly, good schools. Can take 20-60 minutes to get to Reston, depending on the time (or the day...).

Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Quote:
Thanks for you reply.

Regarding renting, I am looking for a 3 bed room condo or house. I have seen that there seems to be only most appartments.

I have been looking at Springfield, any comments on here?
You'll have to be careful in Springfield. There are still some nice areas, but there are also so not-so-great areas. West Springfield is nice as is Burke.

I've heard good things about West Springfield High School. Both Lake Braddock High and Robinson High Schools are excellent (Both are in Burke). The elementary schools feeder schools tend to mirror the high schools.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
You say you are working remote but have offices in Reston and D.C. How often will you have to go into D.C.?

Another area to consider is 20165 in Sterling, it is also known as Potomac Falls, and is close to Reston. There are townhouses there within your budget, in very good areas. Schools are good, area is safe, plenty of shopping in all price ranges (we have a Costco, Target, and Walmart). Some of my neighbors commute into D.C. every day so it is doable, but it will be longer than 45 minutes. Try the homesdatabase.com website to check out what is available.

My schedule will really depend on our customers...i could work as far as Pennsylvania.. so.. there is not set daily schedule... Access to Avis and Airport are very important.

My big concer is Good School district.. I am considering this school Immanuel Christian School :: Home - Kindergarten through Eighth Grade Private School Fairfax County and Northern Virginia. If anyone has experience with here let me know.

Do you think i could find something in these areas for $1500 - 1700?

Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaz View Post
My schedule will really depend on our customers...i could work as far as Pennsylvania.. so.. there is not set daily schedule... Access to Avis and Airport are very important.

My big concer is Good School district.. I am considering this school Immanuel Christian School :: Home - Kindergarten through Eighth Grade Private School Fairfax County and Northern Virginia. If anyone has experience with here let me know.

Do you think i could find something in these areas for $1500 - 1700?
I don't know about the school, but we have acquaintances who have been members of the church for many years. There are many families who homeschool in that church and they socialize quite often.

Like a PP said, that area of Springfield is hit or miss. However, you are close to West Springfield (22152) and Burke (22015), which are overall safe, easily accessible to shopping and amenities, and have good schools (if you choose to send your children to public school). You can drive to the metro or catch the VRE or a commuter bus when you need it.

As far as what you can find in your price range, you may be able to find a 3-bedroom TH, but I don't know if it will be built in the late 1980s or later. You might want to check out rentals on MilitarybyOwner.com - Real Estate near U.S. Military Bases or HomesDatabase - Home for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania to get an idea of what's available in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia