U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:45 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,036,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticfrydispenser View Post
Yes, it's fine. I live very close to there. It's a short crawl across the street to the metro. Be sure to walk down King Street (away from the metro, towards the water) while you're there. You'll find some great restaurants (Majestic, Vermillion, Eamon's Dublin Chipper, etc.) and shops. Walk to the waterfront, explore the artists galleries in the torpedo factory and wander the blocks and blocks of late 1700 and early 1800 homes. Old Town is one of the neatest areas around DC. Enjoy.
Thanks for the info. I'll be there with my parents for a few days before we head off to one of our family reunions somewhere in Maryland. They used to live in Alexandria and Rosslyn (loved both) in the '80s. What are the prices for those restaurants and are they casual, semi-casual? We aren't there for long and don't want to bring a bunch of fancy clothes, but we don't want to look like tourists either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll be there with my parents for a few days before we head off to one of our family reunions somewhere in Maryland. They used to live in Alexandria and Rosslyn (loved both) in the '80s. What are the prices for those restaurants and are they casual, semi-casual? We aren't there for long and don't want to bring a bunch of fancy clothes, but we don't want to look like tourists either.
Vermillion and Majestic are in the upper teens for an entree. I wouldn't wear a t-shirt to either, but you can get away with jeans. Eamon's is a casual place, more take out. It's small but cool. It's a Irish style fish and chips place with fried fish and great french fries. For links to these places and others in Alexandria, I look at Virginia Alexandria DiningNotes (broken link) sometimes for links to restaurants and details. It's kind of an amateur restaurant review site but is a useful reference for local stuff. Btw, the Vermillion review is old, they have a new chef that's great.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:44 PM

33 posts, read 223,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticfrydispenser View Post
Old Town, near the King Street metro is a nice place to be, and safe. I love it. West Alexandria is stripmallsville and not as nice. Consider the following areas near the metro in Arlington: Courthouse, Clarendon, Virginia Square, and Ballston. There are a number of places directly on top of the metro stops so you would have a short walk in well traffic'd areas. But, why not look in the area around GW?
Ideally, I would move to Foggy Bottom, but it's ridiculously expensive. NW DC real estate costs are ridiculous in general.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:36 AM

407 posts, read 2,086,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
When you mean South Alexandria and Route 1, I assume you aren't talking about the area around Old Town and are talking about the area around Huntington Metro and south? I only stress that because there seems to be a difference between "South Alexandria" as in Old Town which is in the southeastern part of city proper and "South Alexandria" in areas like Huntington/East of Springfield Mall with an Alexandria postal address. The latter being a part of Fairfax County with its schools and more suburban atmoshpere.
I am referring to the different sections of Alexandria City, and If my memory serves me correct, South Alexandria is considered everything south of beltway. There are just a few pockets of "bad" sections on the east and west side of route 1. And in my personal opinions, these "bad" sections aren't even unsafe, to the degree that you have to be concerned about your personal safety.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:32 AM

260 posts, read 1,545,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
I am referring to the different sections of Alexandria City, and If my memory serves me correct, South Alexandria is considered everything south of beltway. There are just a few pockets of "bad" sections on the east and west side of route 1. And in my personal opinions, these "bad" sections aren't even unsafe, to the degree that you have to be concerned about your personal safety.
Although it's commonly referred to as Alexandria, that area is in fact Fairfax County and yes, has had some rough areas along the Route 1 corridor. Alexandria's city limits stop at the Beltway.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
Although it's commonly referred to as Alexandria, that area is in fact Fairfax County and yes, has had some rough areas along the Route 1 corridor. Alexandria's city limits stop at the Beltway.
Yes that's correct Alexandria City's limits end at the north border of the beltway...

Old 06-21-2007, 10:35 AM

Yeah, not a fan of the thread hijacking.

Anyway, how does Alexandria compare to Foggy Bottom, in general? I already know FB is more expensive than Alexandria, then again, as someone else pointed out, I'll be at GW and need a convenient location. I'd appreciate anything you have to offer.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,610,423 times
I'd say that most of Alexandria is more residential than Foggy Bottom. There are many office buildings around Foggy Bottom so once the rush hour quiets down, you find less people around, particularly at night and if you live several blocks away from the metro. I still think it's a safe area.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:16 PM

It depends where about do you intend on living in Alexandria? Areas north of Duke, and King Street are pretty nice, and offer easy acces to the District and other entertainment areas in Alexandria. Rent will be cheaper in Alexandria too, for the most part. Don't forget to consider Arlington, Rossyln, Clarendon or Ballston all of which are nice places to live too.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:33 PM

I'm looking at an apartment complex on Duke St...that's near the Landmark/I-95 highway (according to the leasing rep I've been in touch with). Two of my friends live there and I'm honestly leaning toward moving there, but, I'd like to keep my options open, if that makes sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia